To all of our backers and fans...

Cool cheers rj.

One other question I can think of

We haven't heard much information on the Godlike race for a while.

It was previously stated that the Godlike race was going to be a "sub-option" of all races, not just humans.

Does being a Godlike give different bonuses depending on race, and are the Godlike 'types' being handled by the Ethnicity option ?

Godlike are handled differently than the other races in chargen. We haven't implemented it yet, but in the current plan is that you can choose what type of Godlike you want to be, and the race of your parents. Godlike types have special bonuses too.

• Like 11

Follow me on twitter - @adam_brennecke

Actually now that I remembered, when we were doing the Codex Q&A, the editor cut most of the programming related questions from the form.

Here are some of them

Variables. Working with IE scripts was extremely frustrating because there were no local variables to reuse calculated stuff on the trigger/action sequences, some things could only be calculated on the trigger section, and then they couldn't be used as arguments on the action section and the global/npc variables were only numeric.

Most of these flaws were because triggers like 'See([Anything])' (for instance), didn't return anything (because there were no local variables, so it would be useless).

Did you change this (say yes)?

Is the scripting API designed so it can take collection (such as the IE object identifier list) arguments instead of singular arguments for most triggers/actions where it makes sense? If so, did you synergize that design by including a mechanism that extended the IE object identifier list to include dynamic boolean properties filtering of objects/npcs and a optional ordering by various domain numeric properties for those filterings? Any plan to make work the cut in IE categories for IE object identifier list for pickup-able objects in the world, traps and clouds?

What are the script hooks planned to be included in PE? Recall that IE had 7 hooks that were at the area, npc and constant ticking level. Are you planning to include some more scripts that run only on unusual or punctual times like levelup or party sleep that weren't in IE? What is the strategy of execution, 'execute->stop|continue'?

In Chris Avellone's Project Eternity Rezzed Presentation he mentioned that you guys are rebuilding the script library of the Infinity Engine, what are some of the differences between the Infinity Engine library (which I believe used the LUA script language) and the Project Eternity scripting library? What is the script hooking strategy for Project Eternity ? Are there any conditions that you will not use from the IE games and are there any new ones that you have written specifically for Project Eternity, conditions from other titles or completely new ideas ?

Edited by Sensuki

Actually now that I remembered, when we were doing the Codex Q&A, the editor cut most of the programming related questions from the form.

Here are some of them

Variables. Working with IE scripts was extremely frustrating because there were no local variables to reuse calculated stuff on the trigger/action sequences, some things could only be calculated on the trigger section, and then they couldn't be used as arguments on the action section and the global/npc variables were only numeric.

Most of these flaws were because triggers like 'See([Anything])' (for instance), didn't return anything (because there were no local variables, so it would be useless).

Did you change this (say yes)?

Is the scripting API designed so it can take collection (such as the IE object identifier list) arguments instead of singular arguments for most triggers/actions where it makes sense? If so, did you synergize that design by including a mechanism that extended the IE object identifier list to include dynamic boolean properties filtering of objects/npcs and a optional ordering by various domain numeric properties for those filterings? Any plan to make work the cut in IE categories for IE object identifier list for pickup-able objects in the world, traps and clouds?

What are the script hooks planned to be included in PE? Recall that IE had 7 hooks that were at the area, npc and constant ticking level. Are you planning to include some more scripts that run only on unusual or punctual times like levelup or party sleep that weren't in IE? What is the strategy of execution, 'execute->stop|continue'?

In Chris Avellone's Project Eternity Rezzed Presentation he mentioned that you guys are rebuilding the script library of the Infinity Engine, what are some of the differences between the Infinity Engine library (which I believe used the LUA script language) and the Project Eternity scripting library? What is the script hooking strategy for Project Eternity ? Are there any conditions that you will not use from the IE games and are there any new ones that you have written specifically for Project Eternity, conditions from other titles or completely new ideas ?

The PE engine, scripting, and tools are completely different from IE so it's like comparing apples to airplanes. Avellone was referring to similar feature functionality to IE, but behind the scenes the games aren't built the same way.

• Like 1

Follow me on twitter - @adam_brennecke

just a reminder:

josh sawyer has mentioned in the past why he posts on something awful instead of here before. it has something to do with being at home and not at work when he posts and something about his computer not letting the obs forum work or something like that.

jesawyer isn't the only dev that's working on this game; there are plenty of other people too and they post here plenty enough. game creation is a team effort.

Edited by Hormalakh
  • Like 1

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

I love the idea that voicing an opinion is 'trolling.' The Fanboi Polizei are out in force.

Well I could be wrong and you could think you're just posting a normal, harmless 'opinion'. Possibly I'm misinterpreting it as a spiteful expression of entitlement. In that case I would need to apologize. But you followed that up by the obviously trollish 'Fanboi Polizei', so I don't think I'm mistaken.

Welcome to my ignore list.

Wow. Someone on the internet doesn't like me.

Come back when your balls have dropped.

sonsofgygax.JPG

just a reminder:

josh sawyer has mentioned in the past why he posts on something awful instead of here before. it has something to do with being at home and not at work when he posts and something about his computer not letting the obs forum work or something like that.

jesawyer isn't the only dev that's working on this game; there are plenty of other people too and they post here plenty enough. game creation is a team effort.

Absolutly nobody mentioned Sawyer specifically except as an example for posting outside of the forums. Nor was suggested that Sawyer was the only dev working on the project.

So, thanks I guess?

Edited by C2B

Man, that's sad. So Josh will not see our awesome birthday thread? Damnit! 

Also: thanks to Adam for answering questions! Greatly appreciated. I hope wee see you folks more often here :)

Edit: Another question for Adam. I know that PE is set somewhere between the 15th and 17th century technologically (and regarding clothing) speaking. But it has been established, that printing press wasn't invented in PE. Is there a specific reason? Because it strikes me as kind of odd that in a world where you have a lot of guns (you said they were common) and magic, the printing press doesn't exist? 

Edited by SophosTheWise

Elan_song.gif

Also: thanks to Adam for answering questions! Greatly appreciated. I hope wee see you folks more often here :)

Edit: Another question for Adam. I know that PE is set somewhere between the 15th and 17th century technologically (and regarding clothing) speaking. But it has been established, that printing press wasn't invented in PE. Is there a specific reason? Because it strikes me as kind of odd that in a world where you have a lot of guns (you said they were common) and magic, the printing press doesn't exist?

I actually would think magic could be used as a reason for there not being a printing press. (Different access to information for example)

I'm sure Obs will come up with interesting lore regarding it though.

Edited by C2B

Loosely based on 15th-17th century earth tech but, of course, PE world isn't really historical earth. Technological innovation doesn't have to follow earth's pattern. It would be easier to manufacture guns in a world with printed schematics, but not necessarily a requirement.

On another note, now that you mention it, it strikes me that the printing press in principle seems a simple enough invention. Surely they had some kind of "printing" in another context already, seals perhaps, and all it needed then was a monk who thought writing was too much of a pain in the ass in the long run (and there seemed to have been those kinds of monks). I know inventions are not that easy (as they appear in hindishgt), but maybe that counts as a remark that at a certain technological level, it would be very likely to appear.

Edited by MattH

The vagaries of circumstance, why did the Chinese who were the forerunners of so much innovation in the ancient world not have glass? One assumes that it was the popularity and usefulness of porcelain, so mayhap in Eternity some other form of mass communication fills the need of the printing press.

Then again from what has been said we are looking at a timeline resembling the 16th century, so perhaps the invention of the printing press is due to take place, or allready has taken place and is being supressed by a church or political entity.

One thing is for sure, the price of literature without the printing press will be astronomical, the work of scribes and monks was not cheap. Especially with the illustrated works of art we see in many old tomes.

• Like 3

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Well, I guess connectivity plays an important role in progress. If you only have sporadic contact to other regions and only live a short span of time, with a certain routine, what do some considerations of "efficiency" matter. It can go a few hundred years like that, before someone comes up with another interesting way to do it.

• Like 1

Aw man, some community outreach and I miss it. Well, I'm happy to see it! thanks Adam and Brandon!

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Maybe the supernatural event we witness at the beginning of the game is some demon emerging from a portal and bestowing upon some random guy the knowledge of the printing press. 8)

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Maybe the supernatural event we witness at the beginning of the game is some demon emerging from a portal and bestowing upon some random guy the knowledge of the printing press. 8)

Also the guy uses the printing press to massproduce a book entitled Mein Kampf - A Mad Wizard's Way To Power and creates poltical turmoil in all of the world.

Elan_song.gif

After months of chasing your nemesis here you stand before him. These countless times when you were trying to survive his numerous attempts at reaching you with your guard down. And now you got him by the corner and feel determined to end this right now. But before that, questions appear in your mind, and you want to finally know the truth behind all of his schemes... which is almost finally revealed:

- Ah, the hero has arrived. Splendid. Too bad this happens so late.

- You won't get away with this!

- As it was foretold... I shall finally tell you this thing I always tried to tell you.

- Which is?

- *deep breath* So a dwarf, human and elf walk into a bar...

• Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Still better than giving some random guy the knowledge of the internet, I guess.

Sort of depends. That could potentially overload someone's mind, and therefore bring about their excrutiating demise.

"Cipher casts TMI.

Bandit's brain explodes."

A successful enough save/resist could result in the caster being stunned by Rick Astley for 10 seconds.

8)

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

They're gonna do the same thing tomorrow guys. Prepare to get trolled.

We do not have an update planned for tomorrow. No need to stay up for it.

You just break my hearth now. Going to tell boss that I am depressed and cant work today anymore

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

We do not have an update planned for tomorrow. No need to stay up for it.

You just break my hearth now. Going to tell boss that I am depressed and cant work today anymore

Come on, don't say you didn't saw that coming. They specifically stated that the update will be in "near future", not "next week".

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...