To all of our backers and fans...

I love the idea that voicing an opinion is 'trolling.' The Fanboi Polizei are out in force.

Well I could be wrong and you could think you're just posting a normal, harmless 'opinion'. Possibly I'm misinterpreting it as a spiteful expression of entitlement. In that case I would need to apologize. But you followed that up by the obviously trollish 'Fanboi Polizei', so I don't think I'm mistaken.

Welcome to my ignore list.

Wow, way to overreact ;) I know the word entitlement gets thrown around the internet all the time as some sort of "knockout argument", but really, PE backers are entitled to know what's going on, since they have funded the game. 

Also it's absolutely legitimate to want to have more updates and information and everything PE-related. Instead of always interpeting everything as "spiteful expression of entitlement" you could just see it as eager fandom.

Mind you the first is taken care of with the Kickstarter news (which is reposted here and sent to your email if you want).

The thing Monte Carlo is complaining about seems to be that members of the Obsidian Forums don't have MORE news than just the Kickstarter updates and that game news outlets gets information that we don't.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I love the idea that voicing an opinion is 'trolling.' The Fanboi Polizei are out in force.

Well I could be wrong and you could think you're just posting a normal, harmless 'opinion'. Possibly I'm misinterpreting it as a spiteful expression of entitlement. In that case I would need to apologize. But you followed that up by the obviously trollish 'Fanboi Polizei', so I don't think I'm mistaken.

Wow, way to overreact ;) I know the word entitlement gets thrown around the internet all the time as some sort of "knockout argument", but really, PE backers are entitled to know what's going on, since they have funded the game. 

Also it's absolutely legitimate to want to have more updates and information and everything PE-related. Instead of always interpeting everything as "spiteful expression of entitlement" you could just see it as eager fandom.

Perhaps you're right. However, in the past multiple posters have expressed the opinion that they'd be happier with fewer updates. (The logic being that assembling updates requires time better spent on what we're backing.) Few if any seemed to object to the idea. Now some other posters appear to be bashing Obsidian because they aren't being lavished with attention, or that the attention isn't being focused for their ease of viewing. I suppose it's ironic in a sense. :)

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Now some other posters appear to be bashing Obsidian because they aren't being lavished with attention, or that the attention isn't being focused for their ease of viewing. I suppose it's ironic in a sense. :)

Or your reading comprehension is lacking. Hes clearly mentioned that he is not seeking attention nor is he upset that information is posted on multiple other sites, but instead that the same information that is shared on multiple other sites is ALSO shared here, where the devs work, and where backers would expect to find that information.

• Like 1

Aw, poor baby.

Anyway, Obsidian, I am still waiting for the weekly spreadsheets and burndown charts.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Now some other posters appear to be bashing Obsidian because they aren't being lavished with attention, or that the attention isn't being focused for their ease of viewing. I suppose it's ironic in a sense. :)

Or your reading comprehension is lacking. Hes clearly mentioned that he is not seeking attention nor is he upset that information is posted on multiple other sites, but instead that the same information that is shared on multiple other sites is ALSO shared here, where the devs work, and where backers would expect to find that information.

But surly someone seeking attention wouldn't state he is seeking attention..that would be counterproductive to getting the attention he seeks :aiee:

I say we force Monte to play Bioware games where there is loads of Romance...that will teach him !!!!  :p

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I went home around 11:00 last night. I'll try to get to the rest of the questions throughout the day.

thanks adam, nice to "see your face" around here more often, it's always great to see one of the devs leaving a comment here or there

btw, are all you guys working so late in the evening? get some rest!

regarding the "not enough updates" thing:

one example for odd communication: we usually get at least bi-weekly updates, but stuff like the vertical slice being finished and the team entering production isn't mentioned on the fora for some weeks at all, but rather is made known in some small side comment regarding a completely different topic, by i think it has been Josh

in my book, milestones like this warrant a big shout out...

Edited by lolaldanee

Hail! :)

I'm reading the forums, taking a break from programming, and just wanted to say hello and good night. It's 9:30 here at Obsidian. Late night! Feel free to ask some questions, and I'll do my best to answer what I can before I leave for home.

Cheers,

-Adam

How did your Fog of War implementation turn out ?

How is the UI coming along ?

the longer the Contract VFX Artist position is open, does that mean you will have to wait until someone is hired to get VFX for spells etc or will you pull staff from the project / other projects to fill in ?

What format are the game audio files going to be? Will you be using a form of compression or going for a higher-res format (such as uncompressed wav).

Did you end up doing dynamic hair as well as dynamic cloth ?

Hail Sensuki,

The Fog of War is alright. I'm still not happy with it, so more work is to be done on it. The UI is coming along - the inventory screen is almost to alpha. Josh, and Kaz have spent a long time debating on how the inventory should work, and I think we have something that is functional and easy to use. We still haven't hired a VFX person for the project, and we have been using other people to create VFX in the meantime. The audio will be compressed b/c of file sizes - I'm not sure of the compression. We have done tests for dynamic hair but it's not in the game yet. We will revisit it down the road if time permits.

-Adam

• Like 8

Follow me on twitter - @adam_brennecke

Hail! :)

I'm reading the forums, taking a break from programming, and just wanted to say hello and good night. It's 9:30 here at Obsidian. Late night! Feel free to ask some questions, and I'll do my best to answer what I can before I leave for home.

Cheers,

-Adam

Ahoi Adam!

1.) Regarding clothing, armour and weapons: are you folks sometimes checking the Armour Plea thread? There are some great suggestions there in terms of historically inspired armour. Related to this: How renaissanc-y are the Vailian Republics going to be? What I've seen looks very 17th century-ish, especially some of the jackets and hats looked really musqueteery. Any chance for Landsknecht gear? You know, sliced clothing and all? :)

2.) As a backer with the Beta tier: Is the Beta you're going to release part of the original game or is it a Beta setting to just try out the different mechanics? I would prefer the latter to not get spoiled as far as story goes... (and I hate playing the starting section multiple times :p )

3.) How are things going generally? Are you still optimistic (besides the "everything's going well stuff)? Or have you run in some unexpected problems?

Hail Sophos,

We do check the armor thread. We don't have plans for Landsknecht sliced armor, but you can get the same effect with the colorful gear and plumed hats coming from the Valian Republics. Wield a greatsword and you should be good to go.

The backer beta will not contain story spoilers. We are still discussing exactly what we want to do for it.

Things are going really well. The game is playable, mostly feature complete, runs well, and the team is able to work productively. All of those items are key for being able to make a good game.

-Adam

• Like 8

I went home around 11:00 last night. I'll try to get to the rest of the questions throughout the day.

thanks adam, nice to "see your face" around here more often, it's always great to see one of the devs leaving a comment here or there

btw, are all you guys working so late in the evening? get some rest!

regarding the "not enough updates" thing:

one example for odd communication: we usually get at least bi-weekly updates, but stuff like the vertical slice being finished and the team entering production isn't mentioned on the fora for some weeks at all, but rather is made known in some small side comment regarding a completely different topic, by i think it has been Josh

in my book, milestones like this warrant a big shout out...

Update 62 was about us entering production, but after reading it and the surrounding updates I can see how that would be confusing.

• Like 2

No worries on speedily getting to the questions, and/or answering every single one of them. We just greatly, greatly appreciate any and all time you and the rest of the team can spend (just, when you do happen to get the chance -- we understand that you're very, very busy) saying "hello," mentioning how something is going, or answering even the tiniest of questions in the fewest of numbers.

So, truly, thanks for your time, as always, and please don't take all the stuff in this thread as a "you'd better start running yourself ragged answering all our little questions and updating us on things every day or we'll all form a mob and flip your van" or anything. I'm pretty sure at least 99.9% of the people here don't intend it that way.

Put simply, it's just really, really splendid when you guys hand us some tidbits, and even the simplest connection of regular communication is extremely comforting.

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

A note regarding reading comprehension: I was commenting in general rather than the specific individual. :p

you can ignore people?

Yeah, I have a list of about a dozen. You probably know who they are. Occasionally I check to see if their replies are worth following again... nope. :)

Hail Sensuki,

The Fog of War is alright. I'm still not happy with it, so more work is to be done on it. The UI is coming along - the inventory screen is almost to alpha. Josh, and Kaz have spent a long time debating on how the inventory should work, and I think we have something that is functional and easy to use. We still haven't hired a VFX person for the project, and we have been using other people to create VFX in the meantime. The audio will be compressed b/c of file sizes - I'm not sure of the compression. We have done tests for dynamic hair but it's not in the game yet. We will revisit it down the road if time permits.

-Adam

Cheers for the reply Adam. That goes a ways into explaining why you guys don't want to do a video just yet :) Keep on Trucking!

Yeah, I have a list of about a dozen. You probably know who they are. Occasionally I check to see if their replies are worth following again... nope. :)

Where is this magic button ? I've never seen it.

Edited by Sensuki

Where is this magic button ? I've never seen it.

Per Gfted1's post:

you can ignore people?

Click the little arrow next to your avatar in the upper left hand corner of every page.

Choose My Settings.

Choose "Ignore" Preferences.

Add names.

The blocked postings appear as gray bars, which you can still open view if you choose. I wish more forums had this feature, as well as the Like button...

Cool cheers rj.

One other question I can think of

We haven't heard much information on the Godlike race for a while.

It was previously stated that the Godlike race was going to be a "sub-option" of all races, not just humans.

Does being a Godlike give different bonuses depending on race, and are the Godlike 'types' being handled by the Ethnicity option ?

• Like 1