To all of our backers and fans...

Next week better be good or there'll be some torches and pitchforks! :p

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

They are using all the money to develop a My Little Pony game.

With sparkles? :w00t:  and optional Grooming Stronghold/Stable :w00t:

Can't really talk about it right now

Yes you could. If you wanted to. You are a games company, not the NSA.

Shh, that's just what they want you to think :disguise:

---

Happy Anniversary :dancing:

Edited by Silent Winter

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

There's nothing commercially sensitive here. There's no obvious competition for PE. There's no publishers being asshats. There's Obsidian and there's us, the guys who backed it.

So, again, why can't you talk about it?

I'm hardly Captain Entitlement, in fact quite the opposite, but asserting you can't talk about part of the development cycle to your backers is (to put it mildly) nonsense.

Bearing in mind it's been a year and there still isn't even a skeleton backer's / fulfilment site or any meaningful content regarding same. My two cents (or, rather, hundred-plus dollars) is that you are beginning to behave like any other company with a publisher stamping on you, not in the original spirit of this project. Jesus, even a running dev blog would be a starter for ten.

Please take this criticisms in the spirit in which it is intended, which is constructive. I am a long-term friend of Obsidian, albeit an occasionally critical one, and wish you nothing but success.

But you are beginning to flag on your community engagement pledges of a year ago.

• Like 4

sonsofgygax.JPG

There's nothing commercially sensitive here. There's no obvious competition for PE. There's no publishers being asshats. There's Obsidian and there's us, the guys who backed it.

I'm hardly Captain Entitlement, in fact quite the opposite, but asserting you can't talk about part of the development cycle to your backers is (to put it mildly) nonsense.

Bearing in mind it's been a year and there still isn't even a skeleton backer's / fulfilment site or any meaningful content regarding same. My two cents (or, rather, hundred-plus dollars) is that you are beginning to behave like any other company with a publisher stamping on you, not in the original spirit of this project. Jesus, even a running dev blog would be a starter for ten.

Please take this criticisms in the spirit in which it is intended, which is constructive. I am a long-term friend of Obsidian, albeit an occasionally critical one, and wish you nothing but success.

But you are beginning to flag on your community engagement pledges of a year ago.

I don't see it as negative, but yeah. (For one, fullfilment site has low importance to me)

I understand that you are spreading info more carefully after initial backlash against WIP's, but you can atleast inform us in general terms. It's not exactly fun staying up till' near morning (on a weekday no less) only to discover that there isn't going to be a update. That info could have been communicated with a simple tweet the day before and you still could have done a thank you to the backers.

Don't do things too rigid.

Edited by C2B
  • Like 5

This announcement of the real update, is also a sort of a WIP - update WIP.

This is werk in praah-gress, so don't go "Whaaaaa?"

Yet we all did, anyway.

Edited by Messier-31

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

This announcement of the real update, is also a sort of a WIP - update WIP.

This is werk in praah-gress, so don't go "Whaaaaa?"

Yet we all did, anyway.

As hinted at before I have no real problem with them not doing an update. I do have with how communication of that fact was handled,

Edited by C2B
  • Like 1

Me, I'm not that hard to please. For example, I'll be totally giddy if the 'very special update' that is coming in the 'near future' is a short writeup on the mega-dungeon, with perhaps something to look at... like a screenshot.

As for fulfillment info... meh. That stuff doesn't really pique my interest right now. I want to know about the *game*.

Edited by Stun

As hinted at before I have no real problem with them not doing an update. I do have with how communication of that fact was handled,

I get ya, and same here I guess. However saying the next and delayed update will be a "very special" one... well, everybody here is getting revved up more. The higher you climb, the harder you fall. So what I'm going to do is just sit back, wait and see.

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Wait what exactly are you upset about?

I am getting annoyed that there isn't a backer website up yet as our money was involved, but is there something else wrong?

I don't see a problem with no update this week. Big deal, it's to get people excited for a bigger update soon and no one should have ever expected them to have an update every single week of development (even if they said they would (?), that's unrealistic) Having no publisher doesn't mean they are just going to tell us every little thing about the game and have no surprises along the way

Edited by Bli1942

^ I suggest you re-read my post then return with a less.... feverish response.

This is the first time I have ever commented on the issue. As for NDAs.... what NDAs?

You seem to be angry that they "can't" talk about the special update coming in the near future - that is because it's a surprise, of course they're not going to just spoil it now and then release the update in the coming weeks. I think you've just misunderstood "can't talk about it" as "under some sort of contract to keep quiet"

They surely are just building suspense for a gameplay video update

Edited by Bli1942
  • Like 2

I'm just hoping "near future" isn't used as loosely as "soon" was used for the backers fulfillment website.

That's exactly what I thought. It was months ago and they said something along the lines of "in the next few weeks"  :fdevil::banghead:  ;(

Elan_song.gif

Ok fair enoguh. Well I agree with you that the lack of community backer site and communication on that matter is pretty annoying, but I really think the "can't talk about it" in this particular post is just because it's a secret they are building hype for. There's no point communicating with us now about what it is when it obviously isn't ready to be shown yet.

Me, I'm not that hard to please. For example, I'll be totally giddy if the 'very special update' that is coming in the 'near future' is a short writeup on the mega-dungeon, with perhaps something to look at... like a screenshot.

As for fulfillment info... meh. That stuff doesn't really pique my interest right now. I want to know about the *game*.

The fulfillment site will be "something bigger" at least that's what they said in an earlier update. Probably a whole PE site (maybe even with the final name?) with a gameplay-video.

even a running dev blog would be a starter for ten.

Totally. For examples, look at the Goblinworks Dev Blog for Pathfinder Online. They only update it once every two weeks but it's always a really, really, really meaty update.

I also wished JES and the other guys would come to the forum more often. I thought backers (and the community as a whole) would've going to be more involved in the whole development process.

Elan_song.gif

I think community engagement and feedback is one of those things developers love the sound of in theory but find irksome when they actually do it. Like going on a diet.

At the moment we are meant to be grateful for crumbs. It's got to the point where this feels like the standard dialogue between fans and any other publisher-led title. I didn't know what to expect TBH, when we first had the KS. But I'm underwhelmed at the moment.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

I find it a bit weird that a lot of our information comes from other sites that posters have found and copied here.

Yes, that's really weird. Probably the weirdest thing in this whole situation. Sawyer makes so many "updates" via Formspring and he's active in quite a few forums, but not his own? (or at least the codex, for that matter?)

Elan_song.gif