Fallout 3 / New Vegas Expansion Packs

Rodus Maxumus

I’ve seen articles that Obsidian may have expressed interest in doing another Fallout title. With FO4 not likely to be released before late 2015 (my money is on late 2016) using the Creation engine I do not see Bethesda contracting Obsidian to produce an extra FO title using the new engine before FO4 has been released. A lot of people would be happy (myself included) with a pre FO4 title using the older Gamebryo engine but I even think that may be a stretch as the Gamebryo may be considered old hat by some.

But if a pre FO4 title is off the table maybe Obsidian should ask Bethesda if they will back Obsidian to do expansion packs for FO3 then FO: NV.

Have you tried some of the larger sized mods out there?

Fallout Project Brazil for New Vegas is huge.

Of course, that's only good if you have the PC version, and Steam doesn't hate your guts because you don't have internet at home.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

If I were sitting at the big table at Obsidian HQ I wouldn't want to do any more FO3/NV work for a while. To stay vibrant they need to prove their chops in other ways, but still showcasing their strengths.

The Stick of Truth and Eternity are exactly the sort of thing they should be doing.

Not saying I don't sympathise with your desire for more Vegas. Just saying it has to be set against the needs of the company.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Have you tried some of the larger sized mods out there?

Fallout Project Brazil for New Vegas is huge.

Of course, that's only good if you have the PC version, and Steam doesn't hate your guts because you don't have internet at home.

I will check out that mod it looks good, but it’s not about getting new content for FO3 and FO: NV though that is always good, I was suggesting a possible way for Obsidian to do more FO work as I would like to see more Obsidian FO titles in the future. Ideally a pre FO4 title using the older Gamebryo engine but that may be a long shot and if that is not possible then a couple of expansion packs may have a better chance.

The more work Obsidian does on FO the more they are linked to FO in the eyes of the public and hopefully in the future they will start doing more FO titles in ongoing contracts.

And thank-you, for you reminded me about those poor mod deprived console players. That is even more reason for the expansion packs.

If I were sitting at the big table at Obsidian HQ I wouldn't want to do any more FO3/NV work for a while. To stay vibrant they need to prove their chops in other ways, but still showcasing their strengths.

The Stick of Truth and Eternity are exactly the sort of thing they should be doing.

Not saying I don't sympathise with your desire for more Vegas. Just saying it has to be set against the needs of the company.

I’ve seen articles that Obsidian may have expressed interest in doing more Fallout titles, and I am hoping I am making a helpful suggestion.

Then I apologise for my incorrect assumption, and salute your paying attention!

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I don't think it would make a lot of sense making another game with that extremely buggy old Gamebryo engine, when they've already made Skyrim with the Creation Engine. That to me wouldn't make sense on Bethesda's behalf, because it to me would seem like Sierra releasing a game with the SCI1 engine, then having someone make an official game with the SCI0 engine. It just looks bad. Plus, a lot of people will probably have converted over to the PS4/XBone at that point. Who knows how it would or could run on those things.

Although Obsidian have shown they can make a great game in an insanely short period of time with Gamebryo, and perhaps could get it out the door before Fallout 4 comes out, quality will suffer for it. Even then, if they could duplicate that magic, at this point the release date would be very close to FO4's. Maybe even after because we don't know how far along they are with FO4.

As much as I want more Fallout, at this point I'll just keep cracking open New Vegas (I'm still finding stuff I've never done before in it), or the other ones to get my fix. I may as well wait for quality, then get something that's really buggy and gets a lot of content cut just to get it out with a reasonable amount of time before FO4 comes out.

And then I hope Bethesda has Obsidian make at least 2 Fallouts for the upcoming console generation and more down the road (and give a reasonable amount of time for QA.)

• Like 1

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Poor Gamebryo takes a lot of flak due to the perception that it's Bethesda's engine used for those games. But Gamebryo itself is actually a pretty solid, if comparatively barebones product. It's used in products as diverse as Civilization 4, Epic Mickey, Rocksmith, and Catherine. It's said that what we label as Gamebryo is a misnomer for something Bethesda has taken, and, over several iterations, heavily added their own features to. (Or perhaps more accurately, taken and heavily added their own bugs to). And maybe this information could be better sourced, but Skyrim's Creation engine is just a name given to that beast once these was enough of it to justify a new moniker.

Disclaimer in that this is all second hand information, yada yada.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Poor Gamebryo takes a lot of flak due to the perception that it's Bethesda's engine used for those games. But Gamebryo itself is actually a pretty solid, if comparatively barebones product. It's used in products as diverse as Civilization 4, Epic Mickey, Rocksmith, and Catherine. It's said that what we label as Gamebryo is a misnomer for something Bethesda has taken, and, over several iterations, heavily added their own features to. (Or perhaps more accurately, taken and heavily added their own bugs to). And maybe this information could be better sourced, but Skyrim's Creation engine is just a name given to that beast once these was enough of it to justify a new moniker.

Yeah this is pretty much it, Gamebryo was just the renderer they used, I think the planet sized Rube Goldberg machine that actually runs the show was where all the bugs came from  :biggrin:

But if a pre FO4 title is off the table maybe Obsidian should ask Bethesda if they will back Obsidian to do expansion packs for FO3 then FO: NV.

Herp derp not gonna happen, ludicrous idea from the start. DLC was already done for F3 and NV. Like Sawyer said when doing his NV mod, that ship has sailed, the lights are out, they've moved on.

You said it yourself, it's "barebones." It's not robust, it's not technologically advanced. You've listed a bunch of games which were not technologically impressive or visually ahead of the curve at the time of their release. Valve's Source 2007 can perform dramatically more advanced feats than the latest iterations of Gamebryo, i.e. parametric animation (best example being TF2's still-impressive-after-5-years animation.) It's true that Bethesda's products would come out better if they used official updates/new iterations of Gamebryo rather than Frankensteining their own in-house modifications, but it's still not exactly CryEngine or UE.

But Gamebryo itself is actually a pretty solid, if comparatively barebones product. It's used in products as diverse as Civilization 4,

Civ 4 ran like ass.

On a scale of garbage to feces, how did your PC rate? I mean, really. Civ IV.

I recently began a replay of New Vegas after purchasing all the DLC. I'd heard Dead Money was the best, so I'm saving it for last.

I would not expect them to release any more NV DLC at this point, even if it were profitable (which I'm skeptical of) New Vegas is played out - level 50 level cap? For ****'s sake, by the time you're 35 you basically have 100 in 5+ skills, guns, bullets, and medical supplies bleeding out of your orfices... right now I have 90 stimpacks and I'm level 31. I haven't even killed Caesar yet. I've barely progressed the main story at all. In-fact, the game scarcely feels like Fallout. It felt closer to Fallout BEFORE all this DLC I've gone on.

Old World blues was okay, I mean really, as far as DLC goes, there was plenty of content and some interesting moments... but just that DLC alone was enough to make me scratch my head and go, "What did I just play?"

I recently did a replay of Fallout (the first one), and although there are campy, fun, cartoony moments in that game... I think Fallout 3 (alone with its mini nuke launcher) and New Vegas really are missing the tone, as well as the point of Fallout. Fallout should be about this conflict of survival vs morality. That's always been my take - at the beginning of Fallout 1 you have almost nothing, you can barely kill a couple of rats. And when presented with an opportunity to be an **** and steal your wayt o success... you make the difficult choice, or you don't.

The fact there's no time-sensitive questing in FO3 or FONV alone is enough to destroy the tone. There's no sense of urgency. Much of the game is... lazily looking through filing cabinets or headshotting stupid robots (i'd love to shoot them in the arms or legs instead, but even on the hardest difficulty, it's usually not remotely practical).

Obsidian / Bethesda need to start over. And I know we won't get it, but Fallout 4 needs to be on a new engine. It needs to be - Gamebryo gun combat just isn't fun. It's taken multiple mods to make New Vegas gun combat tolerable - and forget melee combat. Is there anyone who went deidcated melee through all the game's DLC and main story? You must have some tenacity.

I like elements of New Vegas, but we need a fresh start. If Obsidian gets the chance to make another FO game, I hope they can learn from past mistakes. I hope they don't make any main games like Old World Blues or Honest Hearts, either. Not bad, exactly, but the stories and content found within aren't much better than Bethesda's work. Perhaps not as intellectually insulting, but they're not that deep either.

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go:

I would do anything for another New Vegas.

Anything.

And no that's not some weaksauce empty claim and exaggeration, I legit would.

Edited by Longknife

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Anything.

Do a barrell roll!

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

I recently did a replay of Fallout (the first one), and although there are campy, fun, cartoony moments in that game... I think Fallout 3 (alone with its mini nuke launcher) and New Vegas really are missing the tone, as well as the point of Fallout. Fallout should be about this conflict of survival vs morality. That's always been my take - at the beginning of Fallout 1 you have almost nothing, you can barely kill a couple of rats. And when presented with an opportunity to be an **** and steal your wayt o success... you make the difficult choice, or you don't.

The fact there's no time-sensitive questing in FO3 or FONV alone is enough to destroy the tone. There's no sense of urgency. Much of the game is... lazily looking through filing cabinets or headshotting stupid robots (i'd love to shoot them in the arms or legs instead, but even on the hardest difficulty, it's usually not remotely practical).

Now replay Fallout 2 and tell us your opinion. Because your critisisms of NV were things that were already missing from the second game.

Anything.

I'm pretty sure that if you tracked down, apprehended, and handed over Ayman al-Zawahiri and said you did it  to get more New Vegas, that the boys would make it happen.

Just a suggestion.

Actually I just checked. The reward is $25 MILLION DOLLARS. You could just pay the company to make you some more. Just for you. And probably have enough spare change to buy takeout while you played it.

So there you go. Problem solved.

-Elwood Blues

Anything.

Just cross ur fingers and pray that after bethesda does their 3rd fallout gane that they will sell it and obsidian from the profits frombproject eternity and selling their kidneys and souls will purchase it. :-)

I can dream can't I?

Also to the op, for new vegas I highly recommend u grab the uncut content mods and jsawyer mod. No lvl 50 and much less stimpacks :-)

Edited by redneckdevil

As stupid as probably most people will think, I would love to see Obsidian do a remake of fallout 1 & 2 with New Vegas graphics, but keep all the quests and stories exactly the same, just add locations and new side stories and side quests to the world. I would give my buck to that instead of a NV2, though if you can fund both then why not do both.

I can't help but love those games and I think that they deserve a revamp. I know that not many games get a revamp on such a scale if any, but I think if anyone could do it, it would be Obsidian, because of their ability to break the mold on how games are usually developed. Why not just come up with a reasonable amount of how much they think it would cost and do a Kickstarter on it. If it gets funded then AWESOME, but if it doesn't then at least we know that it wasn't meant to be.

I feel like I'm talking into the wind of traditionalist, but I figured it was worth mentioning on the site of the people who just crowd source funded Project Eternity, so they know how to drop tradition and go for it.

Edited by RazielSIlver

As stupid as probably most people will think, I would love to see Obsidian do a remake of fallout 1 & 2 with New Vegas graphics, but keep all the quests and stories exactly the same, just add locations and new side stories and side quests to the world. I would give my buck to that instead of a NV2, though if you can fund both then why not do both.

I can't help but love those games and I think that they deserve a revamp. I know that not many games get a revamp on such a scale if any, but I think if anyone could do it, it would be Obsidian, because of their ability to break the mold on how games are usually developed. Why not just come up with a reasonable amount of how much they think it would cost and do a Kickstarter on it. If it gets funded then AWESOME, but if it doesn't then at least we know that it wasn't meant to be.

I feel like I'm talking into the wind of traditionalist, but I figured it was worth mentioning on the site of the people who just crowd source funded Project Eternity, so they know how to drop tradition and go for it.

I actualy am at the complete opposite camp. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE Fallout New Vegas remade with Fallout 2 engine. (or even RPGmaker for that matter,it would still be better than Bethesda atrocity)

Feargus has said quite a few times that he'd love Obsidian to do more Fallout if Bethesda are willing but I'm sure that if such a thing happens it'll be after Fallout 4, there's no way we're getting new content for the previous games.

This. Obsidian will definitely make another Fallout(somewhere in the west coast maybe?) but it won't happen before Fallout 4. 

Edited by Astiaks

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.