What would PE look like if Obsidian catered to the worst of us?

So healing will be available for routine injuries? It's only when characters experience near death that you'll need to go back to town? That doesn't sound nearly as onerous. I'm also glad to hear that they intend to test the system for enjoyability. I always worry with Obsidian that they'll be seduced by the "righteousness" of their ideas and pay insufficient attention to how the player experiences them.  :D

Game propably will play similar to the IE games. You will have 2 bars. Health and stamina. Let's say 100 HP, 100 ST. On a per encounter basis, ST is identical to IE health.It can even be healed or regenarated.

Each hit does damage on both. Let's say 4:1 ratio. So when your character loses all his 100 stamina, he will have lost 25 health. When a character's stamina reaches 0, he drops unconsious. Think of it as dying in IE games. If all your characters fall unconsious, you lose.

The difference is that when the battle ends, unconsious characters get up instead of you resurrecting them. Think of it as auto-resurection. Only now your character has 100 ST but only 75 health. There is no way to restore health. In the next battle you "die" again.  When you come back you will have 100 ST, 40 HP. At some point, you will have 100 ST, but >25 HP. At that point, you need to find a place to rest or the next battle may be the last for that character. If health reaches 0, your character permadies if you play on expert or with permadeath enabled, or he becomes "maimed" if permadeath is disabled. Maimed will return the character with 1 point of health so he will drop in one hit in the battle until you go to rest. Rest is the only think that restores health, but you can rest only in special places.

I love you too, Gfted1. :kiss kiss:

Careful now, we don't want this turning into a romance thread. Well I do, but I'm very bored right now waiting for Amnesia to install.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

So healing will be available for routine injuries? It's only when characters experience near death that you'll need to go back to town? That doesn't sound nearly as onerous. I'm also glad to hear that they intend to test the system for enjoyability. I always worry with Obsidian that they'll be seduced by the "righteousness" of their ideas and pay insufficient attention to how the player experiences them.  :D

Game propably will play similar to the IE games. You will have 2 bars. Health and stamina. Let's say 100 HP, 100 ST. On a per encounter basis, ST is identical to IE health.It can even be healed or regenarated.

Each hit does damage on both. Let's say 4:1 ratio. So when your character loses all his 100 stamina, he will have lost 25 health. When a character's stamina reaches 0, he drops unconsious. Think of it as dying in IE games. If all your characters fall unconsious, you lose.

The difference is that when the battle ends, unconsious characters get up instead of you resurrecting them. Think of it as auto-resurection. Only now your character has 100 ST but only 75 health. There is no way to restore health. In the next battle you "die" again.  When you come back you will have 100 ST, 40 HP. At some point, you will have 100 ST, but >25 HP. At that point, you need to find a place to rest or the next battle may be the last for that character. If health reaches 0, your character permadies if you play on expert or with permadeath enabled, or he becomes "maimed" if permadeath is disabled. Maimed will return the character with 1 point of health so he will drop in one hit in the battle until you go to rest. Rest is the only think that restores health, but you can rest only in special places.

In 3.X/PF, hitting 0 HP meant you were knocked out and in critical condition, not dead. Seeing a similar mechanic implemented would be cool.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I'm not sure if this was their inspiration but there was a P&P super hero game back in the 1990s that I used to play that had a similar system with Health and Stamina. Standard attacks reduced Stamina first, only reducing health if Stamina was gone. However there were some special lethal attacks that only attacked health. These were especially deadly, sort of like Wolverine's claw attacks were supposed to be. I suppose it might be like an Assassin's death attack or the Finger of Death spells as D&D equivilents.  Like I say, I have no idea if this is anything like what Obsidian is planning, but it came to mind because it's the only thing I've seen which sounds similar.

Edited by forgottenlor

<ex-image>

AllDayEveryday_1.jpg

Edited by Gorth
Consistency

I'm not sure if this was their inspiration but there was a P&P super hero game back in the 1990s that I used to play that had a similar system with Health and Stamina. Standard attacks reduced Stamina first, only reducing health if Stamina was gone. However there were some special lethal attacks that only attacked health. These were especially deadly, sort of like Wolverine's claw attacks were supposed to be. I suppose it might be like an Assassin's death attack or the Finger of Death spells as D&D equivilents.  Like I say, I have no idea if this is anything like what Obsidian is planning, but it came to mind because it's the only thing I've seen which sounds similar.

Stamina-heath system is somewhat copied from Darklands  same as their event images

• Like 1

Stamina-heath system is somewhat copied from Darklands  same as their event images

I never played Darklands.  Is the health/stamina system similar to what I described or different?

I never played Darklands.  Is the health/stamina system similar to what I described or different?

It is bit different. You take damage to your stamina (endurance in Darklands) and then you also take 0-90% of that damage to your health (strenght in Darklands) depending on how well wepon penetrated your armour (if armor penetration fails then damage is 0%, 10% or 20% of endurance damage truncated, if armour is penetrated then strength loss is 40-90% of endurance loss).

Bikini plate mail...

'nuf said.

I don't see what is wrong in a high fantasy to have bikini plate mail wearers. You see everyone already is supernaturally strong. Why would a sexy strong free woman NOT wear one When she knows she can best orcs bands in combat and put anyone down that talks smack.

Whom can be called the worst amongst us?

Edit: It's me isn't it?

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Haha, what?  No, nonek, of course not.  Haha, ha.

Damnit he knows.

Abort! Abort! We've been compromised!

*throws smoke bombs everywhere*

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Bikini plate mail...

'nuf said.

I don't see what is wrong in a high fantasy to have bikini plate mail wearers. You see everyone already is supernaturally strong. Why would a sexy strong free woman NOT wear one When she knows she can best orcs bands in combat and put anyone down that talks smack.

female-armor-funny-2-20-13.jpg

• Like 12

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

What would PE look like if Obsidian catered to the worst of us?

I imagine it would be a browser based F2P game with a cash market....

The game would involve a screenshot of an inventory screen and a few lines about classes and crafting components...

The gameplay would simply be forum based arguments about "why this sucks" vs. "why this is awesome".

Edited by Wyrm

FINALsm.png

The Ancient Wyrm - Grand Dragon of the Obsidian Order

Bikini plate mail...

'nuf said.

It's subjective I suppose but if you want my opinion on it, it's because it looks incredibly silly.

Not sure if trolling or just incredibly derpy.

• Like 3

Bikini plate mail...

'nuf said.

It's subjective I suppose but if you want my opinion on it, it's because it looks incredibly silly.

It isn't even really subjective. Plate mail exists to protect the body from incoming attacks. Leaving large open holes in plate mail so you can show off some skin is incredibly stupid, even in high fantasy. You might as well not even bother wearing armor at all. 

If P:E was aimed at the lowest common denominator, it would be a Bioware-style 'action-RPG'...which is to say, not really an RPG at all so much as a third-person shooter in which you're asked every once in awhile to either save a kitten from a tree or set the tree and the kitten on fire.

And the kitten would be a romance option.

Edited by Death Machine Miyagi
  • Like 4

Every conversation in the game would consist of 500 words minimum (courtesy of Lephys). The story arc with a clearly defined climax would have to take a backseat to the simulation of realistically fluctuating market prices of pieces of headgear, and it would take players all the way to the endgame until they could afford to upgrade their daggers to longswords (mcmanusaur). Then PrimeJunta would rip out the attribute system and **** up the flow of combat to infuse the game with dream logic.

The game would end on a cutscene where the protagonist and his allies and his comely love interest get trampled to death by random hordes of bear cavalry (Monte Carlo).

jk ilu guys

• Like 3

Every conversation in the game would consist of 500 words minimum (courtesy of Lephys). The story arc with a clearly defined climax would have to take a backseat to the simulation of realistically fluctuating market prices of pieces of headgear, and it would take players all the way to the endgame until they could afford to upgrade their daggers to longswords (mcmanusaur). Then PrimeJunta would rip out the attribute system and **** up the flow of combat to infuse the game with dream logic.

The game would end on a cutscene where the protagonist and his allies and his comely love interest get trampled to death by random hordes of bear cavalry (Monte Carlo).

jk ilu guys

I don't know... I actualy like the highlighted parts. :dancing:

Edited by Malekith