Movies you've seen recently

LadyCrimson

I don't think I've even watched it fully. Caught glimpses when it's been on tv. But, doesn't look as good people think it is. And, yes, I know the silly plot twist. R00fles!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Curse of Chucky, I have kind of liked the whole Child's Play series but this new one was kind of boring with Chucky himself being more silent and maybe a bit too nice in a way. But all of this was to be expected I guess, with this kind of a rebirth being attempted. 

I also watched Rebel Without a Cause, which turned out to be the film it was praised to be in the reviews I read. Even if the setting is a bit outdated, the message isn't. 

Dude, I can see my own soul.....

Jack Reacher

Honestly? I found the movie kinda boring because it was basically a Tom Cruise Ego trip. I mean it's based off basic airport book trash but Reacher is some sort of Ubermench who can mop the floor with anyone while also doing Holmsian level deduction through the entire movie. It didn't feel like he ever really had a challenge in the entire blasted thing.

Sounds like a John Ringo book

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The Island, the one with Ewan McGregor. I'd seen it before but eh it was on. One of those odd films where 1/3 makes it seem like a more intellectual sci-fi, then it goes into the Michael Bay action excess mode. Still, it has Sean Bean, so you know you have a certain predictable something to look forward to!

...I also found myself gazing at Scarlett Johannsan (spelling...) and thinking she was much prettier in that film than in later films. Which isn't to say she's not still pretty. She just seems hotter to me in The Island for some reason.

...is it strange that I find Steve Buscemi kinda hot? Well, except in Boardwalk Empire. I don't find the look they give him in that very attractive. More when he's in scruffy, long-haired mode. Sorry, I'm babbling again.

• Like 3
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Jack Reacher

Honestly? I found the movie kinda boring because it was basically a Tom Cruise Ego trip. I mean it's based off basic airport book trash but Reacher is some sort of Ubermench who can mop the floor with anyone while also doing Holmsian level deduction through the entire movie. It didn't feel like he ever really had a challenge in the entire blasted thing.

Sounds like a John Ringo book

But Ringo normally puts in a fair chunk of humour with it.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The Island, the one with Ewan McGregor. I'd seen it before but eh it was on. One of those odd films where 1/3 makes it seem like a more intellectual sci-fi, then it goes into the Michael Bay action excess mode. Still, it has Sean Bean, so you know you have a certain predictable something to look forward to!

...I also found myself gazing at Scarlett Johannsan (spelling...) and thinking she was much prettier in that film than in later films. Which isn't to say she's not still pretty. She just seems hotter to me in The Island for some reason.

...is it strange that I find Steve Buscemi kinda hot? Well, except in Boardwalk Empire. I don't find the look they give him in that very attractive. More when he's in scruffy, long-haired mode. Sorry, I'm babbling again.

Paragraph 1: Yeah that movie ended up ****ting all over itself. I watched it in cinema with two of my friends. When the break-out near the end occured, I made a bad joke out loud (coldn't help myself) and the everyone present laughed. No-one there thought it was a particularly good movie

p2: Agreed, probably because of the cleaner look.

p3: You are strange! with the bulging eyes and everything? To me he always looks like what a bulldog or pug would look like if it were human.

I watched The Heat. Very missable, and I'm not dirtying more words on it.

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Yeah, and his famous bad teeth. :lol: Dunno...must be something about his screen persona.

Since I can't do much of anything even remotely strenuous, today I watched (via Netflix):

The Final Countdown - an early 80's sci-fi where a battleship is sucked back in time to the day of Pearl Harbor. Kirk Douglas and Martin Sheen + others. Not quite as disaster-cheese as I was hoping for, but it passes the time pretty well.

Devil's Pass - found-footage chiller directed by Renny Harlin. Blair Witch in the snow, only with a lot less camera-shake, chrs. that act slightly more mature, and a sci-fi bend at the end. Better than most such movies and I did kinda like the end, but that's probably not saying a whole lot. Didn't turn it off, tho. :)

A Lonely Place to Die - mountain-climbing people running from other people who want to kill them thriller type movie. Child in peril motivation. Some really gorgeous scenery and shudder-inducing mt. heights situations but after 40 minutes I turned it off.

Aftershock - 10 minutes in I found myself skipping ahead. And then again. The earthquake doesn't happen until the movie is half over. Then it's your rather standard people can be horrible to each other survival and then there were none horror/thriller.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I had to Google Jessie Eisenberg, heh. I can sorta see it, appearance wise. I'm not sure about style wise. Depends what they're doing with the sequel I guess.

Irons as Alfred tho...well, I'll give him a chance. Not like he doesn't have the acting chops. :biggrin:

I'd say one must watch Fight Club and then wait a few months. Then you watch it again and realize how your world is breaking together.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I don't think I've even watched it fully. Caught glimpses when it's been on tv. But, doesn't look as good people think it is. And, yes, I know the silly plot twist. R00fles!

This is about where my relationship with this cult film is at this point. I even own it but never watched it. From what I've seen, I'd probably enjoy it but wouldn't exalt it.

Well if you enjoy Edward Norton, it is one of his best roles.

Norton is probably why I bought it. Primal Fear is still my personal favorite role of his.

Just likely not my type of setting...hence why I never got around to actually watching it. I also have never seen The Godfather. :p

There's also, for me, the David Fincher thing. Seven appears to (so far) be the only movie David Fincher has directed that I seriously liked (Zodiac was fairly decent too). I haven't liked any other Fincher film beyond the "it's watchable/mildly interesting" level so at this point his name doesn't inspire confidence for me personally.

There's also, for me, the David Fincher thing.

I think you give too much credit to directors (and actors, although, in actors' case they are often the ones to make or break the movie). Fincher is an exceptional director, and I value his work for how he picks what scripts to work with. But it goes beyond that, of course. I hear movies often come out completely differently to how it felt like to the crew while working on them.

Don't blame Fincher for other people's shortcomings :p

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Three Musketeers 1973 - just plain awesome.

Three Musketeers 1993 - meh. But Gabrielle Anwar was very pretty as the Queen.

Tim Curry as Richelieu was quite entertainingly scene-chewy, along with Rebecca De Mornay's Countess for pretty background..

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

DAGON (2001) - Stuart Gordon returns to Lovecraft. Its a fun, creepy film but I'm not convinced playing the lead as a bumbling Harold Lloyd-esque everyman was the right idea. Second time I've watched it (first time in over a decade).

RIPD (2013) - Men in Black with undead monsters instead of aliens, in a way. Its a fun if disposable 90 minutes of entertainment, but I can't help but feel there was actually a better film in this material than made it to the screen.

THE FALCON'S ALIBI (1946) - The penultimate film in Tom Conway's run on the character, this one doesn't quite live up in the mystery division. Seeing Elisha Cook, Jr. as a crazed killer was fun, and there's some nice elements in it but its a bit of a jumble sale in many ways.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Finally saw Robocop 3 and I can see why people don't particularly like it.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I think you give too much credit to directors (and actors, although, in actors' case they are often the ones to make or break the movie).

Um...no. I fail to see how my eventual decision, over many years, that the films Fincher picks to direct are largely films that don't personally interest me = me placing too much credit on directors for a film's quality. I didn't see any of his films because his name was listed as Director, btw. That's rarely the reason I see any movie. Seeing Seven - and a couple others - were actually accidental random happenings, for example. I didn't even realize some of his movies were directed by him, until later. :p But over time, I may come to decide they don't make films I care about. So I stop watching.

I was not, btw, aware of David Fincher when I bought Fight Club and that wasn't the original reason for my not getting around to watching it. At this point in time, however, it is just one of several aspects that makes me go "Oh yeah I should get around to watching that..." but then still never actually doing it. :p

As to actors...meh. Assuming I'm not in fangirl mode where I'd watch "Monsters from the FenGoo Moon Swamp" just to see them in it, I don't see movies just because certain actors are in them, even if I like the actor. I think Meryl Streep can be marvelous, but she is rarely in films I ever care to watch. And there's a lot of famous actors I admire where I've seen only a few of their films.  I'm all about whether I'd like the setting/genre/topic.

I hear movies often come out completely differently to how it felt like to the crew while working on them.

True enough, although to my understanding this is often largely because of the way films are made and then finalized. Most of the filming "crew" (including, often, the actors) film piecemeal/out of order, see/do many takes of the same scene (with no idea which take is going to be the one used), often in greenscreen these days, at most probably gets to see some dailies, then goes home. How all those scenes look/are put together is not up to them after that, and it may not often jibe with what they were envisioning. Not surprising, really.

...the director (often) still plays a large role after filming stops, however. Not always, but often, especially bigger name directors. Editors, sound, effects etc. as well too, of course.

As to actors...meh. Assuming I'm not in fangirl mode where I'd watch "Monsters from the FenGoo Moon Swamp" just to see them in it, I don't see movies just because certain actors are in them,

heh, that's the only reason I watch most movies - to see a certain actor or actors in action  :ninja: I find most movies I see badly written and sometimes badly handled by the director, only actors I like keep me entertained 

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.