i hope ther be a LOT OF

By which you mean sex, incest and orgies? 

hmm no not ecactly they did actuly manage to make intruieq in games like dragon age origen

If you're referring to the brief moments when you're dealing with the trial of Loghain, that was too short to be of any relevance. 

I don't think there are that many game that deal with political intrigue, much less that do it well. It just seems like a subject which requires the entire story to be melded around it. 

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

hmm no not ecactly they did actuly manage to make intruieq in games like dragon age origen

If you're referring to the brief moments when you're dealing with the trial of Loghain, that was too short to be of any relevance. 

I don't think there are that many game that deal with political intrigue, much less that do it well. It just seems like a subject which requires the entire story to be melded around it. 

Really?  I thought the entire backstory of Loghain etc. was one of the better parts of the game especially when you add Anora to the mix.  Oh well, no biggie.  :)

Playing a dwarven noble gives you an entire backstory with a lot of political intrigue.  :)   In fact, it puts the entire Orzammar situation in an entire new light.  :)

• Like 1

Dwarven noble was the best origin IMO.

Dragon age has got a setting that lends itself to a lot more intrigue than there actually is in the games, in which I seem to have spent most of my time getting ambushed by loads of trash mobs..

agreed, dwarven origin was something completely new and very cool

Really?  I thought the entire backstory of Loghain etc. was one of the better parts of the game especially when you add Anora to the mix.  Oh well, no biggie.  :)

Playing a dwarven noble gives you an entire backstory with a lot of political intrigue.  :)   In fact, it puts the entire Orzammar situation in an entire new light.  :)

Maybe I'm not wording myself right, I am not critizing DA:O or saying that they didn't do intrigue well. It is just that it was small pockets in between what the bulk of the game is building an army. Even the Witcher 2 who at the core of its story had political intrigue didn't deal directly with it but rather put the protagonist doing what they do best which is hunting monsters. 

So far I haven't seen a game in which implements political intrigue as a core mechanic vital to the progress of the story. 

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Maybe I'm not wording myself right, I am not critizing DA:O or saying that they didn't do intrigue well. It is just that it was small pockets in between what the bulk of the game is building an army. Even the Witcher 2 who at the core of its story had political intrigue didn't deal directly with it but rather put the protagonist doing what they do best which is hunting monsters. 

So far I haven't seen a game in which implements political intrigue as a core mechanic vital to the progress of the story. 

Fair enough.  I agree that DAO didn't use it as a core mechanic, and I haven't finished Witcher 2 yet so I can't judge. 

King of Dragon Pass?

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I hope there is a lot of ways I can spend my money and gt non-material stuff as a reward. Like donating a lot to charity, or starting my own charity, that makes poor people like me more. Or buying a noble title, stuff like that

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

In fairness to dragon age 2, the plot was a deep seated rivalry between factions that took years to play out, rather than a standard "big bad destroying! only you and your rag tag bunch of friends can save us! despite our large standing armies!"

However, due to the backlash against it (and it had many other faults), it looks like we're back to OMG!! DRAGONS! for DA3

• Like 1

Well I agree that DA2 certainly tried to do that but making both sides incompetent idiots, and then undermining that by revealing the plot was really about the red McGuffin, and having the protagonist be an errand boy for both sides rather than have at least even a little agency, somewhat spoiled what they were going for. Thus I would say it was less political intrigue, more farcical tale of a number of fools.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Well I agree that DA2 certainly tried to do that but making both sides incompetent idiots, and then undermining that by revealing the plot was really about the red McGuffin, and having the protagonist be an errand boy for both sides rather than have at least even a little agency, somewhat spoiled what they were going for. Thus I would say it was less political intrigue, more farcical tale of a number of fools.

think da 2 was more about making it all look good and get hand held controllers on the xbox to work

I hope there is a lot of ways I can spend my money and gt non-material stuff as a reward. Like donating a lot to charity, or starting my own charity, that makes poor people like me more. Or buying a noble title, stuff like that

charity like the poor got to look less and less ragtag-get the more you have donated ?

I too hope to see intrigue, but as most people in this thread have stated, there aren't many examples of games doing it well. My guess it's hard to write devious intrigue if you're not devious or challenged by devious opponents.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I too hope to see intrigue, but as most people in this thread have stated, there aren't many examples of games doing it well. My guess it's hard to write devious intrigue if you're not devious or challenged by devious opponents.

well most of the intriguing happen in the mind and from taking a step back at some point. like the is a conclave of mage priest who is trying to keep a way of creating a artifact secret for if it was made it would change the world