Adobe compromised completely by hackers?

Walsingham

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/03/adobe_major_hack/

Hackers have also accessed the source code for the company's Adobe Acrobat, ColdFusion, ColdFusion Builder, and other unnamed products, the company said in a separate blog post.

Security firm Hold Security claims to have found 40 gigabytes in encrypted archives on a hacker's server, apparently containing source code on some of Adobe's biggest products.

"This breach poses a serious concern to countless businesses and individuals," Hold Security wrote. "Effectively, this breach may have opened a gateway for new generation of viruses, malware, and exploits."

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Guest Slinky

I take this as a opportinity to advertise foxit reader for reading pdf files, been using it for years. Way better than adobe reader.

Given how Adobe's history of vulnerable products, how would we be able to tell? :p

Maybe it will lead to a reduction in exploits, as attempting to read Acrobat's massive bloat will lead to many a hacker suffering an aneurysm.

• Like 2

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

But unfortunately I also use the entire adobe suite.

Then allow me to take this opportunity to shake you warmly by the hand, then quietly and forcefully entomb you in saran wrap, then push you out the window.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I don't know about an entire document cut paste, but you can certainly copy text, add notes and add text. 

-Elwood Blues

I don't know about an entire document cut paste, but you can certainly copy text, add notes and add text. 

I've got a map Agiel made for me. It's a .pdf but I want to position it in a Word document. Can't do it unless I buy a full version of Adobe was wondering if Foxit would let me do it for free.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I've found Foxit to be too slow for my day-to-day use - almost as slow as I remember Acrobat Reader being - so I've switched to SumatraPDF for general use. It's not perfect though, I had issues printing a barcode for example (printed out a mostly black box instead), and I've heard some complaints about colour fidelity, but it's lightning fast and simple to use.

Case in point - I opened up a test PDF with embedded images, and was able to right click it, select "copy image" and paste it into a graphics editor no worries. I opened up Foxit (which took several times longer to even load up the file) to try to do the same thing and couldn't find a way to do it. It was an eBook/Magazine type thingie, so a big file admittedly, but still, I expect a modern PC to not have to stop for several seconds to load it up.

So try Sumatra I guess Monte if you get no joy out of Foxit.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I've got a map Agiel made for me. It's a .pdf but I want to position it in a Word document. Can't do it unless I buy a full version of Adobe was wondering if Foxit would let me do it for free.

Screencap and paste into Paint.NET? That's free.

EDIT: I'd go with Sumatra, by the sound of it. :)

Edited by Walsingham

-Elwood Blues

Moved to tech section (didn't really seem game related).

I'm one of those who've been using FoxIt for years. Not to sure about the performance questions, as the amount of pdf files I work with is few and far between. Most of the stuff I access is Word documents retrieved from Sharepoint.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I use something called PDF Xchange Viewer. But I only use it to view them. I have no idea of its usefulness outside of that. All I know is it's speedy and works well enough.

As to Adobe ... all I know about them is that hubby hates them with a passion and I mostly don't care. I think the only thing I use by them is their web Flash, since half the websites/website videos in the world seem to not work without it. :p

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I disabled flash, because of the security issues, and to be perfectly honest, I don't miss it. If I need it (rarely) I use a secure proxy.

-Elwood Blues

I disabled flash, because of the security issues, and to be perfectly honest, I don't miss it. If I need it (rarely) I use a secure proxy.

Are we talking about the same thing? I just meant the Flash Player/Active X plugin, not full Adobe Flash install. And even flash player is typically disabled in the sense that I use a noscript plugin that blocks such scripts unless I manually "allow it" per site. I mostly want it for YouTube.

Java is the one I used to not be able to stand. The Java that lets you play a lot of in-browser games, I mean, not javascript. I haven't tried it in ages tho....but it used to feel too invasive of an install.  If a website/feature requires Java to be installed, I move on. Same thing with Quicktime for PC.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I have a few YT accounts, but I'm rarely logged in anymore. And on the rare occasion I want to deal with their stupid "use your real name! Yes/No?" spiel and log in, they change their stuff so much/so often I've stopped looking at options menus.

Ah. So one of their beta-like "try it out before we fully implement it" deals they're so fond of. I'll wait.