Souls in gameplay

Its been a while since the kickstarter campaign but I seem to remember that it was mentioned a couple of times that the state of someones soul changes as they move through the cycle and that those with a damaged or shattered soul are mistrusted by some (though how you could tell just by looking I don't know). I think it would be really intesting if you could choose the state of your soul during character creation and the effects that might have on gameplay.

Say for example having a perfect soul might give you a boost to certain defense stats.

Having a shattered soul might give you a boost to your magic because you can use up part of it as power.

Thoughts.

• Like 2

I think the dev team would be remiss not to tie the lore of soul states into character creation options, somehow. 8P

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

They've included character traits on creation in many of their past games - IWD2, Fallouts, NWN2; I don't see why they wouldn't include this for PE.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Then I have to ask, if you start with a "perfect soul"... can it get "shattered" during gameplay?

Furthermore, if I start with a "shattered soul"... can it get "perfected"?

In the IE games you could become a "Fallen Paladin" if your reputation went down enough, could that concept work for a similar thing like this?

• Like 2

i remember them saying something about an initial event in the story that damages the main character's soul and is the trigger for the rest of it

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I went back and read some of those inital updates. particually number 5 and it does say that while a fractured soul using their full power is less common its not unkown so that doesn't rule you out if you pick that.

It also has several others that I completely forgot about like:

an awaken soul that has some memories of previous lives - could have a nice namless one sort of feel to it seeing a statue to your old self or something similar.

traveled souls - souls that have dirfted to unusual parts of the afterlife while they were gone and come back changed - could go to interesting places with that one.

merged souls - several souls combined together in to one new soul - i'm imaging a part human part animal soul for some reason (druid anyone).

group soul- several souls ocuping the same body- that could have an interesting story to it hero and villian together in one body.

I was mostly interest in what kind of thoughts people had about the kind of character the soul lore would allow us to create and the places it could go.

I like to think this forum proves we are our souls.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Then I have to ask, if you start with a "perfect soul"... can it get "shattered" during gameplay?

Furthermore, if I start with a "shattered soul"... can it get "perfected"?

In the IE games you could become a "Fallen Paladin" if your reputation went down enough, could that concept work for a similar thing like this?

That would be AWESOME, though elaborate in design; having different available branches for your reputation (and or other factors, like soul status, etc.) to go depending on how you started. Maybe if you pick a trait that has you starting with some crazy negative reputation, how you work your way into people's good graces is a unique process with unique results as compared to simply starting without that trait and doing the same (think a trait such as "Hideousness" or something... gaining trust and admiration of others wouldn't really work exactly the same as if they weren't overcoming your hideousness.)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I'm actually a bit afraid that the game could end up to be "oversouled", since almost everything seems to have to do with souls. However, I really like the idea of different states of a soul, giving you certain bonuses, abilities, features, negative and positive, inside and outside of combat. Story-Traits sound also cool.

BTW:

traveled souls - souls that have dirfted to unusual parts of the afterlife while they were gone and come back changed - 

http://www.scifimoviezone.com/imagecor/cor085.jpg

Edited by Iucounu
  • Like 2

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /imagecor/cor085.jpg on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I'm actually a bit afraid that the game could end up to be "oversouled", since almost everything seems to have to do with souls. However, I really like the idea of different states of a soul, giving you certain bonuses, abilities, features, negative and positive, inside and outside of combat. Story-Traits sound also cool.

I just wanted to point out that 'oversouled' is the best word I've heard in a long time.

• Like 1

As this is pretty much being indie developed, I most certainly hope the game doesn't end up feeling like Obsidian... "souled out" on us. 8)

But yeah, people do tend to go a bit overboard with something like soulpower. Obsidian seems to be pretty good at remaining pretty grounded with such things, though. Maybe that's just me.

Everything we've seen so far leads me to believe that they aren't just going to take a medieval fantasy RPG world and hit every single thing in with a soul-magic stamp. "Trees?! SOUL POWER! Water? SOUL POWER! Shoes? DEFINITELY SOUL POWER!!!!!!" :)

• Like 5

I just wanted to point out that 'oversouled' is the best word I've heard in a long time.

Indeed, I take pride in making a contribution to the English language here! After all, it's hard for a native speaker to come up with something as dumb.

As this is pretty much being indie developed, I most certainly hope the game doesn't end up feeling like Obsidian... "souled out" on us. 8)

..still, I have to write that down.

Edited by Iucounu
  • Like 1

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /imagecor/cor085.jpg on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Just press enter again and it'll load.

• Like 1