RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Rosbjerg

That's not happening anytime soon. As for publishers I'd like to just disappear - Ubisoft is mine :lol:

Not before they release Beyond Good and Evil 2, after that, I don't much care what happens to them.

(Though Watch Dogs is shaping up to look pretty impressive)

But tell me, aside from sports games, which I could not care less about, what was the last qualitatively good game EA released?

Wing Commander Prophecy

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

For those that are interested, Ubisoft is having a Halloween sale right now, and in Canada anyways; Far Cry 3 is $18 CAD.

http://shop.ubi.com/store/ubina/en_CA/pd/ThemeID.8605600/productID.250899600/Far-Cry-3.html

I'm assuming that will take you to your country's store. You'll need a Uplay account anyways if you buy it from Steam. Also, Uplay's offline mode actually works, and doesn't kick you out after 14 days.

• Like 2

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Wadjet Eye is giving away Blackwell Deception for free on their site right now.

Details here: http://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/1planx/wadjeteyegames_the_blackwell_deception_free/

What was kinda freaky about it, was the codes Dave got from Steam, gave someone Wadjet's entire catalog of games. That's fixed now though. I wonder if that included Emerald City Confidential? I played a bit of it at a friends house a few years back.

• Like 1

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

But tell me, aside from sports games, which I could not care less about, what was the last qualitatively good game EA released?

Dead Space 3? The story was terrible, but the core gameplay was fun and solid, especially in coop.

Command & Conquer was looking decent. Its cancellation and closing down of Victory Games wasn't due to fan backlash, but corporate mismanagement.

Not before they release Beyond Good and Evil 2, after that, I don't much care what happens to them.

Does any of these; Battlefield 2142, Dead Space, Dragon Age; Origins, Brütal Legend or Mass Effect qualify?

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

What would you post about if EA did go bankrupt?

Nothing. Will be too drunk after celebrations.

:lol:

I don't often agree with what you say but you do make me laugh

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Does any of these; Battlefield 2142, Dead Space, Dragon Age; Origins, Brütal Legend or Mass Effect qualify?

For me Mass Effect does not. Brütal Legend was interesting, but severly lacking in gameplay. I don't have an opinion on the Battlefield series as a whole as it does not interest me; same goes for Dead Space.

Dragon Age: Origins on the other hand, I completed four times. I believe it could have been better. Especially some of the writing that railroads characters too much, forcing responses onto them that can be completly out of character, just so that specific npcs can be forced to play the role the writers envision (Wise Wynne...). But that didn't stop me from finishing it with a human noble (twice), a city elf, a daelish elf, a mage...

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Also Alice Madness Returns is another game from EA that was very entertaining

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

For me Mass Effect does not. Brütal Legend was interesting, but severly lacking in gameplay. I don't have an opinion on the Battlefield series as a whole as it does not interest me; same goes for Dead Space.

Dragon Age: Origins on the other hand, I completed four times. I believe it could have been better. Especially some of the writing that railroads characters too much, forcing responses onto them that can be completly out of character, just so that specific npcs can be forced to play the role the writers envision (Wise Wynne...). But that didn't stop me from finishing it with a human noble (twice), a city elf, a daelish elf, a mage...

I liked ME1, the rest of the series went down the ****ter in both writing and gameplay in my opinion. The Battlefield games were awesome when they were released, and I don't remember any other shooters wich had as good gameplay as they did. Dead Space and Brütal Legend were'nt my cup of tea, but close to everyone I've spoken with that have played them have given them very high marks.

I completed Origins a few times aswell, and I agree with your assessment that it could have been better, but it's solid for what it is.

Also Alice Madness Returns is another game from EA that was very entertaining

True, that one totally slipped my mind! :)

Edit; The deparment of Redundancy departments clerks came to fix something.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

So why are people hating on EA? As far as I know, they never used to make decent games, so what changed?

Bullfrog, Westwood, Origin, do I need to say more?

• Like 4

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

EA lost $273 million last quarter

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/435897/ea-posts-273m-loss-for-the-quarter/

I for one, hope to see them bankrupt.

Geeeeeez JFSOCC I've never known you to be so vindictive :unsure:

If EA goes under this would effect Bioware and why would any lover of RPG want something to negatively impact the company that has brought us some of the greatest RPG of all time ?

the same reason I would shoot my mother if she had turned into a zombie. That's not my mother any more! And not shooting the zombie that is EA would mean other publishers keep getting bought to have their brains eaten and then closed down.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I miss those good old days when making games wasn't so astronomically expensive that they didn't have to go bat excrement every time someone in the dev team had the nerve to suggest doing something new and risky.

Any time people are throwing around wishes for bankruptcy and using cancer as a metaphor, you can probably bet they are overreacting.  When the subject is video games, it's even more ludicrous.

EA is a plague on artistic expression. Their work is mediocre at best, they're run by businessmen, not artists, they play it safe. It is them and their ilk which stands in the way of Games growing up as an artistic medium.

EA business practices are exceptionally shady to boot. Their employees are not paid by the hour, and they often work in sweat-shop conditions. EA buys shelf-space in stores (So does Ubisoft, btw) so the competition can't get their product to market as easily. And I can't stand a company whose mission statement is "to be the biggest" rather than to be the best. That's not to talk about origin and their DRM schemes.

They are the Universal studios of games.

It surprises me not one bit that Disney, a similarly morally corrupt company, choose them to license their newly acquired Star Wars franchise to, ensuring that it will be raped even further.

---

Dead Space 3? The story was terrible, but the core gameplay was fun and solid, especially in coop.

Command & Conquer was looking decent. Its cancellation and closing down of Victory Games wasn't due to fan backlash, but corporate mismanagement.

Sorry, you're using Dead space as a positive example? Jump scares and hordes of enemies to shoot (with always enough ammo) is hardly good horror.

Dead space is seriously lacking in what makes horror good: Suspense, suggestion, and a feeling of impotence against overwhelming threat. But then, so do by far most horror games, which is why I hate it as a genre. so I'm biased.

I liked command and conquer, but it was average, not good.

Battlefield 2142, average. Deadspace: see above.

Dragon age, awful, I've posted before more in depth how much I hated the bad design of that game, I'm sure you can find it if you search my posts for dragon age. Brütal legend I haven't played, and mass effect was the plot of Knights of the Old republic 3, where the intelligent creature Canderous Ordo mentioned having followed to the edge of the galaxy is the scout reaper.

I finished Mass Effect, I thought it was alright. With the exception of Brutal Legend, for which I can't account, none of these games particularly elevate the medium.

Edited by JFSOCC

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

EA's the same as all the rest, really. Hm...so maybe we should wish for the entire industry to just die.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I miss those good old days when making games wasn't so astronomically expensive that they didn't have to go bat excrement every time someone in the dev team had the nerve to suggest doing something new and risky.

That's what indies are for, though I'll give Ubisoft some credit for publishing some different (and/or old school) games in the near future (Might & Magic X: Legacy, Child of Light, Valiant Hearts: The Great War), plus recently the wonderful Rayman games and the gloriously goofy Blood Dragon.

Also, I need Mirror's Edge 2 to happen, so EA can't go under just yet.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

That's what indies are for, though I'll give Ubisoft some credit for publishing some different (and/or old school) games in the near future (Might & Magic X: Legacy, Child of Light, Valiant Hearts: The Great War), plus recently the wonderful Rayman games and the gloriously goofy Blood Dragon.

Also, I need Mirror's Edge 2 to happen, so EA can't go under just yet.

Yeah, the industry isn't completely rotten thankfully, but you don't have to have Eisteins hair and Hawkings voice modulator to see the AAA side of industry is standing on railway watching the train rushing closer and closer in the distance and doing nothing about it. The big publishers are going down one by one for a reason.

I'm not worried about the existence of the entire industry, but at this rate the costs will reach critical mass at some point and BOOOOM will follow. And honestly, I hope that happens sooner than later.

EA is one of the best developers ever. They are responsible for publishing/developing some of the most fun games. Their sports games are almost uniformly top notch.   They rule all, and this is undisputable.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Every report I've seen so far from people in the Alpha say that it was not a good game.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."