RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Rosbjerg

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-16-fan-harassed-writer-jennifer-hepler-leaves-bioware

I don't know if this came up before... but I just stumbled across it.

Nobody should put up with the type of abuse Jennifer Hepler describes.

But that doesn't stop her being wrong, or Bio making crap games.

The events described happened years ago, and it's not why she left BioWare (and she is in fact still a part of the gaming industry).

I remember seeing her as a stretch goal on some kickstarter game :p

No memory what game, I only remember thinking something along the lines "looks like crap" about it.

Not random, but just noticed this article:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-12-gog-com-steam-sales-send-wrong-message-to-gamers

"Selling games at too high a discount - one often sees discounts above 80 per cent off here and there - sends a message to gamers: this game, simply put, isn't worth very much," the pair said. "Of course you make thousands and thousands of sales of a game when it's that cheap, but you're damaging the long-term value of your brand because people will just wait for the next insane sale. Slashing the price of your game is easy. Improving the content of your offer when you release your game, that's more ambitious."

I'm not sure what the point is. If a game is good enough you'll see people buying at normal price and not waiting for a discount. Plus, is the argument about long term monetary or creative value? The guys seem to confuse the two.

I need to avoid reading things from GOG.  I like the company better that way.

I remember seeing her as a stretch goal on some kickstarter game :p

No memory what game, I only remember thinking something along the lines "looks like crap" about it.

I think they signed their non-funding with her. 

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

Not random, but just noticed this article:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-12-gog-com-steam-sales-send-wrong-message-to-gamers

"Selling games at too high a discount - one often sees discounts above 80 per cent off here and there - sends a message to gamers: this game, simply put, isn't worth very much," the pair said. "Of course you make thousands and thousands of sales of a game when it's that cheap, but you're damaging the long-term value of your brand because people will just wait for the next insane sale. Slashing the price of your game is easy. Improving the content of your offer when you release your game, that's more ambitious."

I'm not sure what the point is. If a game is good enough you'll see people buying at normal price and not waiting for a discount. Plus, is the argument about long term monetary or creative value? The guys seem to confuse the two.

Not to mention that most of these Sales, Bundles etc. actually help the game developers, because we all know that even a good game can fall off the radar. Beyond Good and Evil is a good example.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

You guys do realise that article is ~18 months old, and got extensively discussed at that time?

(Discuss away if you want, I'm not the Commissioner for Currency of Events, but it is rather old news)

I know. I wanted to specifically note that I know this was old, but I wrote random instead. Ah, the wonders of typing faster than you think.

Regardless, it's a fair point to bring up every now and again, at least in my opinion.

Heh, as he states in the video. He's not particurarly concerned about himself, since he can easily handle these situations.

But for example, in the case of NukemDukem, who has a respectable 75 000 subscribers has had unfair flags on his account for weeks. Smaller channels are the ones who suffer.

My thoughts on how character powers and urgency could be implemented:

http://forums.obsidi...nse-of-urgency/

Perhaps not the intention, but my first thought is: "and this is a company hundreds of millions of people trust to operate their e-mail, act as a front door to the internet for, and control their mobile telecommunications?"

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Rumor: Next Alien game developed by Creative Assembly, called "Alien: Isolation"

The next video game in the world of Aliens will star the daughter of superstar space officer Ellen Ripley, according to a Kotaku source.

The game is called Alien: Isolation, and we hear it will be on both current- and next-gen consoles next year. Isolation is developed by the British studio Creative Assembly (Total War); it's a first-person shooter that uses both stealth and horror elements; and it's inspired by games like Dishonored and Bioshock, according to our source, a person familiar with goings-on at Sega, who spoke under condition of anonymity in the interest of protecting their job.

Perhaps most importantly, our source says that Sega took the critical reception to Aliens: Colonial Marines very seriously, and that the publisher put together a postmortem following the near-unanimously negative reactions to their last Aliens game, which was developed by the studios Gearbox and TimeGate. They want to make sure Isolation is a better game, and according to our source, it's already been delayed at least once—Sega originally planned to announce the game at E3 of 2013.

I first heard about Alien: Isolation this spring, not long after reporting on the disastrous story of Colonial Marines. I couldn't confirm what I'd heard, and I figured that with the game early in development, some of these details would be fluid, so I sat on the info.

But today, news came out that Sega has trademarked the name Alien: Isolation. With the title corroborated, I feel comfortable sharing everything I've heard.

According to our source, the protagonist of Alien: Isolation is Amanda Ripley, daughter of Ellen Ripley, the character that made Sigourney Weaver famous and kicked off the ubiquitous sci-fi franchise over 30 years ago. Amanda, who is mentioned in the special edition of Aliens as having died while Ellen was frozen in space, has not yet been the focus of any books, movies, or games in the Alien extended universe.

You, as Amanda, spend most if not all of the game on a single space station, according to our source. There's only one alien for "most" of the game, our source said; you'll mostly be shooting through "clones and soldiers." Vents, lockers, and melee weapons are a big part of Isolation, our source said, and the game is heavily inspired by the first Alien movie.

Keep in mind much of this information is from six months ago; details may have changed over the course of development, as they sometimes do. However, our source re-confirmed many of these details today.

In 2011, Sega announced that Creative Assembly was working on an Alien game, but details have been sparse. Creative Assembly's most recent game, Total War: Rome II, was quite buggy at launch, but Luke revisited the game last week and gave it a positive review.

Sega declined to comment for this story.

Inspired by Dishonored and Bioshock?

Interested.

• Like 2

It sounds like Colonial Marines take 2. Revisiting Hadley's Hope and bringing back Hicks vs Ripley's daughter. And she's fighting clones?

I'm not going to be optimistic about a game that's both afraid of detaching itself from the movies and making its own place in the setting while simultaneously failing to understand the setting.

• Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'm negative simply because CA doesn't know how to do anything but Total War, and lately I've started to doubt that.

They managed to do a decent Hack and Slash with Spartan Total Warrior and Viking. May surmise that your anger stems from the bugs in Total War: Rome 2?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

That is so weird, I thought you were linking to this. A genetic variant causing people to see the world both more vividly, and negatively. They think half of most caucasian people have it, much less in others. 

No wonder I see every little bad driving infraction on the freeway and get upset about it. It feels like hyper-vigilant negativity radar. 

• Like 3

All Stop. On Screen.

Why are people always so negative?

Because CA isn't really known for their talent in FPS games. So, yeah... a studio that has made strategy games for a living is suddenly handed Aliens and I'm supposed to be excited after the last cluster**** of a Aliens game?

Hate the living, love the dead.