If Obsidian kickstarts a space opera RPG, would you back it?

Arcoss

Would you back it?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Would you back it?

• Yes
    • Maybe, I'll want some details first
    • Not sure
    • Certainly not
    • Other(comment)

It's not really something to kickstart, but if Obsidian ended up doing a "space opera", I'd love to see their take on Dune setting.

• Like 4

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

It's not really something to kickstart, but if Obsidian ended up doing a "space opera", I'd love to see their take on Dune setting.

The real question is whether Dune has entered public domain yet.

When did Frank Herbert die? Copyright term is 75 years after the death of the creator I think.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I'd tell them to shut up and take my money!

I am now picturing Obsidian employees fleeing from small change being thrown at them by hordes of fans.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I am now picturing Obsidian employees fleeing from small change being thrown at them by hordes of fans.

Completely related; My PnP group once got accosted by beggars that wanted our spare change, to the point of us being so angry at them that we went to the bank, exchanged some of our moneyz into copper pennies stored them in our mental magical containers and then proceeded to dump 65 tonnes of copper coins ontop of them. Greedy bastards.

Needless to say, we felt pretty damn good about ourselves afterwards.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I wonder how many great games have never seen light of day because of the rich companies' "rights" to be richer if somebody wants to make an honest to god rpg.

I can't speak for computer games, but I used to be involved with tabletop. I know for a 'fact' that Waddingtons used to buy up IPR just to prevent competition with goddamn Monopoly.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The real question is whether Dune has entered public domain yet.

When did Frank Herbert die? Copyright term is 75 years after the death of the creator I think.

Herbert died in 86. So 70 years (under current copyright law) would be 2056.

US copyright is a bit different, though; Dune was published in 1960 IIRC so had an initial copyright of 28 years with another renewable 28 years to be filed for in 1987; but after the update in 1978 it would have been automatically renewed so should have a 95 year copyright period (2076)

Even if the book became public domain, I'm sure some holding company has trademarks out for some of the central concepts (like Tarzan does) ensuring derivative works have to be substantially changed.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

There are a couple of Dune licenses floating around.  Westwood (and then EA) owned the license based off of Lynch's film.  That license would revert to Universal.  Cryo has/had another one but I don't remember the details. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure that a game about a virtually empty desert world would be worth playing, or even be considered "space opera".

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I'm not sure that a game about a virtually empty desert world would be worth playing, or even be considered "space opera".

Come on. We could build lots of sandcastles, cook humans to drink their bodily fluids spiced with spice and build more sandcastles with blue eyes. We could even have a skill for it.

But seriously, I don't think you are digging deep enough here.

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

And if someone shoots you with a laser then you'll explode in a nuclear fireball.

*thinks*

DVD players must be bloody dangerous.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

One based in Firefly's solar system would be ideal Kickstarter-bait. Its a property that would get a lot of backers with pretty big money, that wouldn't otherwise be commercially viable.

• Like 2
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Still waiting on a space opera based on the Lensman series...

Triplanetary.jpgFirst_lensman.jpgGalactic_patrol.jpgSecond_stage_lensmen.jpg

8)

Those books are just SO bad. Anyone who fancies themselves as a connoisseur of the awful has to try them.

-Elwood Blues

I find it probably more hilarious than it should be that someone felt the need to add the PhD after the writers name on those books.

Well...he was a Ph.D...

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man