If Obsidian kickstarts a space opera RPG, would you back it?

Arcoss

Would you back it?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Would you back it?

• Yes
    • Maybe, I'll want some details first
    • Not sure
    • Certainly not
    • Other(comment)

Looking for logic in something that is impossible is a waste of time.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

The only film about time travel that made sense was Primer. Useless to discuss back to the future as it was utterly illogical.

We are talking about entertaining plot devices, not University coursework.  Very little of the fantasy world is grounded in logic.

• Like 1

I'd probably back an Obsidian kickstarter for any genre. How much though depends on the details of the setting.

there were a time when we woulda' agreed, but we didn't play alpha protocol or dungeon siege 3 and have zero interest in south park. 

and yet, there is a plethora o' games obsidian could announce that would interest us... we just need info.

HA! Good Fun!

edit: we actually is interested in south park, just not the game

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Illogical or not, it is one of the best film trilogies ever.  No arguments from you, butthead!

When you're ten to twelve, it definitely is.

The only film about time travel that made sense was Primer. Useless to discuss back to the future as it was utterly illogical.

I thought 12 Monkeys handled time travel exceptionally well.

Oh, yeah yeah, that too.

IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

time travel as a plot device is fine... as long as is only going forward.  and Einstein never bothered to figure how much energy time travels would take. turns out that it is probable that energy required makes impossible anyways... much greater than 1.21 gigawatts. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Yes          Yes  Yes Yes Yes   Yes Yes Yes

Yes      Yes    Yes                Yes

Yes          Yes Yes Yes  Yes Yes Yes

Yes          Yes                            Yes

Yes          Yes Yes Yes  Yes Yes Yes

Edited by Bos_hybrid
  • Like 4
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Make it happen Obsidian, I'm ready to sell Nep's Kidneys on the black market.

Edited by KaineParker

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Make it happen Obsidian, I'm ready to sell Nep's Kidneys on the black market.

Happily, I'm used to people being obsessed with my organs. Never been the kidney, before, though.

• Like 6

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I thought those single moms were interested in your wallet...

I  dunno. Only if it was set only in our Solar system so space colonies, Mars and Moon bases ...  well bases on any usable rock in the system. NO SAVING THE UNIVERSE crap though. Just a personal story, maybe a role in few larger conflicts but not all out system war.  ... my bad. :grin:

1.13 killed off Ja2.

That's actually a good idea. Tell of the Earth history in the 21 and 22 century, of mars terraforming, a little bit of simple politics. Nothing serious, just asimov-style. I could very strongly relate to that, I guess everyone would.

IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

I'd like to see a bounty hunter game in space. Something like Cowboy Bebop.

A primarily drama-based show like Cowboy Bebop wouldn't necessarily translate well into a computer game. The scope would likely need to be significantly modified.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I'd like to see a bounty hunter game in space. Something like Cowboy Bebop.

A primarily drama-based show like Cowboy Bebop wouldn't necessarily translate well into a computer game. The scope would likely need to be significantly modified.

That is true, I guess. There is a Cowboy Bebop game for PS2 but I never played it. Don't think it was localized.

Space opera has been done to death, so right away I say no. And then I look at Obsidian's track record for creating new IP's...and I say no. I hate to say it, but Bioware is better at this. Far better.

IIRC, the only new IP they've created is Alpha Protocol, which suffered more from an unfocused direction from Sega than anything from Obsidian.

And who cares if the setting has been done to death if it results in a good game?

Space opera has been done to death, so right away I say no. And then I look at Obsidian's track record for creating new IP's...and I say no. I hate to say it, but Bioware is better at this. Far better.

IIRC, the only new IP they've created is Alpha Protocol, which suffered more from an unfocused direction from Sega than anything from Obsidian.And who cares if the setting has been done to death if it results in a good game?

That's ALL the gaming hiosters care about. :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

IIRC, the only new IP they've created is Alpha Protocol, which suffered more from an unfocused direction from Sega than anything from Obsidian.

And who cares if the setting has been done to death if it results in a good game?

SEGA? Obsidian restarted the project several times. SEGA had it's own f-ups, but the fault lies with both companies.

what i'd like to see is a space opera rpg without aliens. just humans doing in space the same things they do on earth: screwing each other for money and power

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.