Do not forget the happy endings ;)

Screw that. Super dark **** only. Like, everyone maimed or dead, the world falling into chaos and anarchy, world war on the way. This needs to go beyond grim dark. This needs to be so fundamentally soul crushing that no one comes out of this game without having considered suicide at least once. Because life is ****. 

• Like 10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rga4rp4j5TY#t=1m13s

"Everything we love, will be ripped from us while we suffer for all Eternity! No more happy endings."

*drama music*

:o

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 4

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

K. Let it be said that an ending that only resolves the premise (that you're personally affected by some extraordinary event) but has no ramifications for the rest of the world I don't consider satisfactory. :)

I completely disagree. Of course, given that most games don't have much nuance to the personal storylines, their endings must mean something EPIC for the rest of the world in order to have any weight at all. This isn't true if the personal aspect of the story is decently strong, however.

Edited by centurionofprix
  • Like 2

I completely disagree. Of course, given that most games don't have much nuance to the personal storylines, their endings must mean something EPIC for the rest of the world in order to have any weight at all. This isn't true if the personal aspect of the story is decently strong, however.

I disagree because that's simply not the type of game we're looking at.

In Tides of Numenera? Totally. I expect an introspective journey, no slaying of dragons, or whatever Numenera has.

• Like 1

"Evil was vanquished, cute teddy bears danced in the trees....."

--Oh wait, that was Empire Strikes Back, never mind.

"Evil was vanquished, the populace got fall down drunk, and everyone everywhere got a free kitten."

--Perfect.

....more seriously, I like relatively "good" endings, but I like them even more if they were preceded by a lot of tragedy first. Because then it means more.

• Like 4
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Heartfelt ending proceeding tragedy? - Overused trope.

Tragic ending, everything falls apart. - Lost its novelty ages ago.

We need a story that doesn't begin nor end in happiness or sadness, but lies entirely in the limbo of "meh." Come on guys, it'll be loads of the usual routine, I promise.

Edited by Pipyui

Overused trope.

Lost its novelty ages ago.

Everything's a trope/cliche. Especially the older one gets, haha.

It's how that trope is achieved that gives the illusion (or more rarely, a reality) of it being something you haven't personally seen before.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Well stated.  If we were to make it so abstract, just about all fantasy novels pretty much go: tragedy -> happy end; it doesn't mean that they're all the same.  I just needed fuel to lead my joke.   :biggrin:

The end of a story/quest/whathaveyou should be an organic closure of the journey preceeding - hard, easy, happy, bitter.  So long as events and conclusions follow one another with reasonable coherency, I'm pleased.  Planescape: Tides will have us covered in the crushing, bleak, dreary and dreadful department, so I'm thinking Eternity will have a little more range of emotion.

I want the ending written jointly by George R. R. Martin, Joss Whedon, and Steven Moffat. Everything you've ever loved will die.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I want the ending written jointly by George R. R. Martin, Joss Whedon, and Steven Moffat. Everything you've ever loved will die.

...and then be magically/technologically brought back to life for 2 more seasons / the 4th movie

(not to say I don't love Joss Whedon's stuff, which I do).

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

You mean "Return of the Jedi" ?

....those mental lapses come more and more often these days.

Screw that. Super dark **** only. Like, everyone maimed or dead, the world falling into chaos and anarchy, world war on the way. This needs to go beyond grim dark. This needs to be so fundamentally soul crushing that no one comes out of this game without having considered suicide at least once. Because life is ****.

+1, bleak as a mofo, plz

;)

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

That was Return of the Jedi, heathen.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

5 bucks says P:E will have an unsatisfactory, ambiguous ending, as they want the setting to be expendable but probably don't want it to end on a cliffhanger.

I predict that P:E will have multiple endings, New Vegas-style, and how happy or bleak they are depends on what you did throughout the game.

I further predict that any hypothetical sequels will be set in some different part of the setting, far enough away so that the events of P:E doesn't really affect it much.

Which, combined, means that P:E can have a satisfying ending that is only emotionally ambiguous.

5 bucks says P:E will have an unsatisfactory, ambiguous ending, as they want the setting to be expendable but probably don't want it to end on a cliffhanger.

I predict that P:E will have multiple endings, New Vegas-style, and how happy or bleak they are depends on what you did throughout the game.

I further predict that any hypothetical sequels will be set in some different part of the setting, far enough away so that the events of P:E doesn't really affect it much.

Which, combined, means that P:E can have a satisfying ending that is only emotionally ambiguous.

I thinks it's a very safe bet that P:E will have Fallout-style epilogue slide-endings, determined by your actions throughout the game. I mean, the people who've used this technique extensively, hell even helped codify if not create, these slides are all working on the game, so....