Looking for a Mentor

aroich5

Hi, My name is Brandon and currently leaving the military after 9 years. Pursuing a degree in Game Design. Would like to talk to someone in that position and ask a few question to make sure I'm heading in the right direction. I will have a Bachelor's in Computer Science. Also I have been reading the forums saying you have had interns. I have tried finding this information on your site but haven't seen anything. Would like some help and thanks for your time. 

• Like 2

Obvious question: have you considered going down the military simulation line?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I have considered it. But as of right now I'm  about to get out and start my college degree in game design through full sail university. I will have 32 months to complete my degree in something I have always dreamed of. I play every genre of games for the last 24 years. I have been on my different forums and putting up the same post about looking for a mentor for this career. I want to get some ideas, some help, and in general someone that would be will to point me in the right direction when I have question. I have learned that someone with a mentor is most like to be 85% more successful then someone without.

Also thanks for answering first place to reply.

• Like 1

No worries, man. Pleased to help if we can.

I can't recommend a specific firm, but all of the major defence contractors have simulation wings. You might also consider going along to any conventions in your area and talking to firms at their stalls. Your previous military experience should make them polite if nothing else. :)

I'd recommend training stuff over pure games because it's likely to be more stable, and a more rounded career.

I got to muck around  train on this back in the day.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I have considered it. But as of right now I'm  about to get out and start my college degree in game design through full sail university. I will have 32 months to complete my degree in something I have always dreamed of. I play every genre of games for the last 24 years. I have been on my different forums and putting up the same post about looking for a mentor for this career. I want to get some ideas, some help, and in general someone that would be will to point me in the right direction when I have question. I have learned that someone with a mentor is most like to be 85% more successful then someone without.

Before you start your program try doing some research on it, look for anecdotal of students that have been through the program, and college reviews online. Game Design programs have been popping around colleges and most of them are a scam. Unless you're willing to go the extra mile and be basically a self taught student or you're just doing it for the degree, then it's not worth it. 

Have you decided on a specialization yet? It is something that you want to do early so you put the most work towards it and develop your portfolio around it.

Other than that; good luck, this is a tough field and you're going to need it.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I would also ask if you are quite certain whether doing the technical stuff is your thing. You've got enough chops to run around asking for help. You could maybe skill up to work on project management or sales? Both are broader areas.

-Elwood Blues

Well just to clear up a few things, you might want to specify whether you truly want to be a designer (thinks and puts together "fun" content) or a programmer (makes the game work, programs all the core features designers want to have). You mention you are looking to do a Game Design degree but, also mention you are close to having a Computer Science degree. I assume this is just a honest misuse of the phrase Game Design and you are actually meaning Game Development and you are looking to go into the programming aspect.

Regardless, you don't really need a mentor to be successful. The best thing you can do to learn what it takes is to work on little games in your free time. Do simple 2D games from scratch to start with, download Unity and make a little demo, grab the SDKs for the mobile devices and some fun little games with that, etc. As with any discipline, practice and learning from mistakes are key. Oh, and you better have some passion as making games can be a grind sometimes the further in you get into a project.

Also, maybe try to work on something on one of the new consoles coming out. You'll learn a lot about game development and all the little requirements people usually don't think about when you try to finish a game for a console. Other than that, when it comes to looking for a job, try to have at least one project that is "finished" or close to it as that will look better than lots of little half complete demos. Good luck!

• Like 6

Twitter: @robyatadero

Regardless, you don't really need a mentor to be successful. The best thing you can do to learn what it takes is to work on little games in your free time. Do simple 2D games from scratch to start with, download Unity and make a little demo, grab the SDKs for the mobile devices and some fun little games with that, etc. As with any discipline, practice and learning from mistakes are key. Oh, and you better have some passion as making games can be a grind sometimes the further in you get into a project.

Also, maybe try to work on something on one of the new consoles coming out. You'll learn a lot about game development and all the little requirements people usually don't think about when you try to finish a game for a console. Other than that, when it comes to looking for a job, try to have at least one project that is "finished" or close to it as that will look better than lots of little half complete demos. Good luck!

^ What he said.

• Like 1

https://twitter.com/IridiumGameDev

Ex-Obsidian Senior Programmer

Before you start your program try doing some research on it, look for anecdotal of students that have been through the program, and college reviews online. Game Design programs have been popping around colleges and most of them are a scam. Unless you're willing to go the extra mile and be basically a self taught student or you're just doing it for the degree, then it's not worth it. 

Have you decided on a specialization yet? It is something that you want to do early so you put the most work towards it and develop your portfolio around it.

Other than that; good luck, this is a tough field and you're going to need it.

As a retired math professor, I can tell you this, every university out there is a business first.  This means getting and keeping your tuition is job one for them.  For that reason, the above recommendation is sage advice.  As with any education, what you get out of it is closely related to what you put into the process.  There are two things you are aiming for when getting an education, one knowledge and two connections within the industry you plan on entering.  For this reason I would not recommend an online education.  Connections are harder to foster in that environment.

In many 500 level course textbooks for game designer you will find the NWN2 (or the Aurora toolset that is included with the game) is often mentioned as a way for a new designer to show off their game ideas to prospective employers or investors.  Many in-school projects at this level require this (or another) toolset to be used.

As many have pointed out, bringing a game to live takes a large team and there are many professions within that business.  A clearer understanding of what role you wish to play in this profession might help in directing you for not only your educational goals, but also your long term goals.  This will also prove to make your educational dollars more fruitful. 

The fact that you have played games for over 24 years may lend itself to a fabulous and successful designer career.

Most game engines work on the same principal, and showing your ideas and work in this medium will give people an idea of your abilities to create and work within that environment.

• Like 1

Sorry havent had a chance to get back in been busy with the military. But thank you all for the advise. I went ahead and downloaded unity and going to start messing around on there now. I have mad a few small games on NWN2 but nothing too major. All of this information was helpful and im going to start putting it in the right direction. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Prosper, obviously. He'll teach you everything there is to know about good character design and 3D modeling.

Also available in pill form across the pharmaceutical counter...

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Game designers need to be proficient in a scripting language, if not able to understand game code I believe, there are often tools you have to work with that are very stripped down. Full Sail is... well, anything that runs youtube ads sounds fishy to me.

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go:

• 3 weeks later...

BUMP

How's the search going?

-Elwood Blues