How many [Rings]?

Rings  

109 members have voted

1. 1. How many Rings?

• 2 (Traditional)
    • 10 (Ten Fingers)

My intial favourite thing about this poll was that it gave me the option to vote for seven rings - an opportunity I siezed with 1.4 hands. However, upon reflection, the best thing is simply the way the final option helpfully included "(10 fingers)", lest we forget.

Edited by Kjaamor
  • Like 1

if we take any IE game as an example, it was

armor

bracers

helmet

boots

belt

shield

weapon

amulet

cloak

2 rings

instead of more  rings you can just add

2 earrings

You can have more than two piercings in your ears.

Dibs on the magical nose stud.

There's always going to be an arbitrary limit to this, IMO.

(personally I'd be okay with ditching magical jewelry completely...)

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Ah, but what about ringmail? ;)

... crafted from individually-enchanted rings! o_o...

... Dear gods...

*Latin Choir Music of Hopeless Apocalypticness*

I'm calling this. This is the supernatural event our protagonist witnesses at the beginning of the narrative! Someone trying this, and the horrific, chaotic results!

• Like 3

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I'm calling this. This is the supernatural event our protagonist witnesses at the beginning of the narrative! Someone trying this, and the horrific, chaotic results!

And that's why there was a ring with dragons devouring each others in the first eternity logo, but it gave away too much!!!

---

buaat...

"Wear as many rings as you want" could work in multiple ways, the first obvious one being to make the wearer a near deity.

But what if there are only a handful of really powerful rings to be had in the whole game?

Piling them all to player character might not make the best sense, unless soloing.

Maybe the rings are mostly nearly mundane (+1 damage reduction from fire) and the power doesn't stack?

Or maybe the power does stack and ... would that work at all, no it wouldn't.

• Like 1

How about a magical tatoo? Lots of 'em, in different body parts.

j/k

Different "Equipment" Tabs. Not a suggestion it but I think it could be a solution to allowing more forms of "equipment".

So, in essence:

bg2soa2.jpg

Something like that^ but with tabs for the Equipment. 

The "Rings" tab could be (conceptual) just hands (fingers) and a face in the middle (eye, lip, ears):

Human-Hands-Front-Back.jpg

Tattoos:

davinci.jpg

... Dear gods...

Sweet mother of mercy... I want SWORD-CHUCKS next (like nun-chucks, but with swords! and yeah, idea taken from 8-bit Theater). A warrior wielding sword-chucks and wearing a ringmail fighting a dire wererabbit!  Epic.

@Osvir - still making concepts ;)

• Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Unfortunate arbitrary limits.
Same deal with why can I only have five companions?
Man, imagine if you could have recruits everyone in BG2 on the same team.
Why can't I have like twenty magic necklaces and rock out like the Mr. T of D&D?
Even in PnP D&D where they aren't constrained by the limits of programming a game, they still enforce a limited about of "item slots" for the purpose of game balance.

Though that's always something I'm fascinated with houseruling away in tabletop games.

... Dear gods...

Sweet mother of mercy... I want SWORD-CHUCKS next (like nun-chucks, but with swords! and yeah, idea taken from 8-bit Theater). A warrior wielding sword-chucks and wearing a ringmail fighting a dire wererabbit!  Epic.

@Osvir - still making concepts ;)

Always! I know that there is a possibility that someone might see it and get inspired, if not for PE, maybe for another title made by a different company. The company my dad works for, for instance, they hire people that look for ideas on the internet for various elements to their website, marketing, article writing, innovation and people opinion and probably much much more. Bigger game companies might be doing that too, if not the designers outright check forums themselves because of hobby/gamer lifestyle.

The point is, there is always a chance that someone might be inspired and make something greater out of it than I ever could :)

• Like 1

Hope you'll get the credit when credit is due.

I couldn't care less. But it's going to exciting to play the game (PE) and see different aspects of the game that was discussed on the forums. It is, in a way, their response to the discussion.

what if you could craft rings into more powerful versions by combining them with other rings.

Crafting lovers have something cool to do with their skill, powergamers/minmaxers/spikes get to become more powerful, and If you have several rings that you can't wear you can make them useful.

Meanwhile it respects a lower limit.

If you let the increase be a fraction (not y+x=z, but rather y+1/2x=z) you curb the powerspike

And the crafting itself could be appropriately expensive.

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

what if you could craft rings into more powerful versions by combining them with other rings.

Crafting lovers have something cool to do with their skill, powergamers/minmaxers/spikes get to become more powerful, and If you have several rings that you can't wear you can make them useful.

Meanwhile it respects a lower limit.

If you let the increase be a fraction (not y+x=z, but rather y+1/2x=z) you curb the powerspike

And the crafting itself could be appropriately expensive.

Sounds sweet. But I think if you clip 2 rings in half they should both get half n half.

So if I have a... +2 Strength and a +2 Dexterity excessively, I could combine both to get one +1 Str/+1 Dex. Maybe there are some unique Rings that can only be discovered by combining 2 Rings~ 1 Summon Energy Blast Ring and 1 Frost Bolt Ring could maybe spawn a special type of ring.

Would any Class be able to use Magic from Items/Scrolls/Rings/Trinkets? I know there are some items in BG (Wand of Magic Missiles, for instance) that the Rogue can use... but will any class be able to use such an item in PE? Then, if there are some "Cross Class" Talents such as "+X% Item Damage" you could pretty much make a Fighter into an Utility-Based Wizard.

No you'd be reforging them, they'd be objectively more powerful, just not as powerful as the two equipped separately.

Imagine picking the finer parts of each ring and combining them. Say the gemstones, the better quality metal, etc.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Two rings is plenty. The emphasis should be on your character, not your gear. Harry Dresden uses those kinetic energy rings aplenty, but they're all of the same type and it's Butcher's universe, so his rules are sovereign. If we were to go the multiple ring route, I wouldn't mind stackable rings so long as they're limited like Harry's--same type on same hand, need recharging, singly not very powerful.

• Like 1

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

Now I'm just imagining melting down like 700 enchanted rings, then forging all that magical metal into like... a crossswordbracer. That would be a crossbow, bracer, AND sword/forearm blade. And it would be ludicrously magical.

8)

Sorry... That would be cool if ring crafting were cooler than "Do you have a gemstone?... Do you have a ring? Do you have magic?! PUT 'EM TOGETHER! WHAT'S THAT SPELL?! MAGI-RING!!!"

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

You could just set a certain maximum of magical items (certain magical items with certain effects) that stack.

For example, you could either wear 5 magical rings, or you could wear 2 magical rings, 2 magical earrings, and one magical necklace.

You could possibly equip more, but the effects wouldn't stack, and it could even come to some sort of magical overload with unpredictable consequences.

The specific number of magical items that you can wear could also depend on the quality or power of the items.

Or you could just do completely without limits, and wear 20 rings, 20 necklaces etc.

and there woulnd't be an inherent limit to the number of items you can wear, but items that are similiar in nature wouldn't stack. For example a ring of protection +2 doesn't stack with a ring of protection +1, or another ring of protection +2. So you could wear all these 3 rings at the same time if you like, but it would be useless anyway. 

However, this is just an overkill example. If you are in a setting where a magical ring is something remotely special, you won't come into a situation where you have 20 magical rings to wear anyway. 

I also like the general idea that you just can't wear specific magical items together, because they don't "like" each other, or for whatever reason. For example Wearing a ring of shadowplane-walking and carrying a stone of astralplane-walking could result in catastrophal consequences.  

Although admittedly, making up such special relationships can easily overblow the whole thing, and make it terribly complicated and unmanageable.

Edited by Iucounu
  • Like 2

Perhaps rather than upgrading your stats, maybe some rings could actually give you some options (different but of equal value) in Dialogue or combat.

• Like 1

---

Perhaps rather than upgrading your stats, maybe some rings could actually give you some options (different but of equal value) in Dialogue or combat.

Ring of Topical Influence: Dirigables. 8)

Really, silliness aside, such specific scopes of ring-power would be pretty awesome. I mean, maybe not THAT specific... but, you know, the general idea... 8P

Two rings is plenty. The emphasis should be on your character, not your gear. Harry Dresden uses those kinetic energy rings aplenty, but they're all of the same type and it's Butcher's universe, so his rules are sovereign. If we were to go the multiple ring route, I wouldn't mind stackable rings so long as they're limited like Harry's--same type on same hand, need recharging, singly not very powerful.

I'm still going to make (if that will be possible) a Ring Mister/Mistress Class. Just copy a Grimoire, rename it and re-write the description/conditions/triggers. Change some artwork. Same thing with some spell scrolls, rename them and re-write their descriptions/conditions/triggers (Make some 20-30 Ring Spells). Change some artwork. Done :D

Ring Lord? Ring Duke? Ringer  8)

Oh my..... "The Ringer is an excellent magician with each Finger!"

"But what if Rings only gave small bonuses and/or had "Ring Set"-functions (3 of the same Rings gives a bigger bonus when worn together)?"

This is one of the reasons why I prefer the traditional 2 and not have 10.  Magical rings need/should be special but having the ability to wear ten means you have to nerf them and make them virtually meaningless not to mention how much cimmon they ned to be if everyone can wear 10.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Socks should be its own entire thread!

But jokes aside, that's something I've never seen before. Taking socks into consideration when gearing up (Not suggesting it, simply curiously exploring ideas). Is there any RPG out there that does?

Sock mechanics:
- X% Chance of losing one sock when resting -2 Morale
- After X amount of use, socks gets holes and gives -1 Morale due to Irritability

Selecting "I don't care" as an option within the poll kind of contradicts a lack of caring, doesn't it?

"I couldn't care LESS about this poll... than by actively participating in it!"

8)