The "big" portrait is 210x330, the size of BG and IWD portraits.

That's going to be very small on the screen though in comparison to the amount of size the BG/IWD portrait took up in the character record screen

I haven't seen the screen of course, but fair enough.

I like the IWD2 portrait size in the character screen. I know that P:E probably has Inventory and Character sheet combined, but screens today have a lot of horizontal real estate.

screen01.jpg

But yes, amount of work required for larger portraits is probably a lot higher.

It fits well, IMO.

E: For comparison, the portraits in Shadowrun Returns were about the same size.

Oh yeah, so slightly longer, but thinner.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

^I believe the argument is that if a character had the second portrait, you'd have noticed the disconnect between what s/he has on in the portrait and what his/her avatar looks like in-game.

Couldn't they make it like in The Sims 3?

So if your character get a haircut, the engine will "snapshot" the 3D model and render it in 2D.

In PE, I guess everytime your character change armor, the game will snapshot s/he to update the 2D portrait. Or if s/he gets a story-related scars or tatooes, etc.

But I guess the quality wouldn't be as good as the hand-drawn portrait :))

Edited by exodiark

The inventory and character screens are separate, but the inventory does show the individual pack of every party member on one screen.

This is an awesome idea; should make shuffling gear between companions much less tedious than it is in the IE games.

• Like 1

The inventory and character screens are separate, but the inventory does show the individual pack of every party member on one screen.

Probably, I should wait for a possible gimmick UI screen or something but, out of curiosity, how the equipped item slots (Head 1, Neck 1, Hands 1, Body 1, Waists 1, Rings 2, Feet, Weapons 2*2, Quick Items ?, Wizard Grimoires ?) + "Top of the Pack" (Individual inventory, accessible outside of combat) and Stash (Party inventory, only accessible in rest areas) will be presented?  Can the players see all of them in one screen, which is pretty unlikely?  If not, how would they be separated into each window?

On the inventory screen, you can see all of these things at once:

For the currently selected character:
* Name/portrait

* Health, Stamina, Accuracy (both hands, if dual-wielding), Damage Threshold (base)

* All four defenses

* "Paper doll"

* Primary/secondary and hair/skin colors for that character

* All equipment slots (including weapon sets and quick items)

and

For the party, either

* The packs (previously called Top of Pack) for all party members

OR

* The stash

There are also filters you can turn on and off for every item type.  The inventory screen also displays the party funds.

• Like 11

PE doesn't put any special marking on quest-related NPCs.  We also don't use quest markers.  You have to read what NPCs say and refer to your journal to figure out where to go.  That said, we've established a standard for writing those entries that should ensure you will always know generally where you're supposed to be heading.

I don't suppose you'd donate genetic material for proliferation?

Re: portraits: we've revised them a little bit.  We are currently using two sizes of portraits, one for the character/inventory/dialogue screen and one for the main HUD.  The "big" portrait is 210x330, the size of BG and IWD portraits.  The smaller portraits are 73x86, though that size may change a little.  The larger portraits are "head and shoulders" with a bit extra, the closest comparison would be BG1 portraits.  For the companion portraits we've done so far, Kaz has managed to really capture some engaging characters.  I think you will like them.

The smaller portraits are cropped to just the face for easy recognition.

Will this mean that we will have to supply 2 pictures if we want custom portraits for our PC/adventure hall characters?

On the inventory screen, you can see all of these things at once:

* Primary/secondary and hair/skin colors for that character

Now there's a feature that never really gets much use in the IE series: choosing primary/secondary colors for your character. Once you start wearing armor then your color selections become fairly useless.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Will this mean that we will have to supply 2 pictures if we want custom portraits for our PC/adventure hall characters?

Yes.

Now there's a feature that never really gets much use in the IE series: choosing primary/secondary colors for your character. Once you start wearing armor then your color selections become fairly useless.

We have made sure that almost all suits of armor have some pieces that can tint (usually cloth) exposed for that purpose.

• Like 6

It would be rather interesting if there was at least one other facet to aesthetic equipment customization. Maybe you can find trophies and/or etching patterns, etc, to place on your armor. Just one additional factor to add some personalized flavor to your look, so that your red Wizard's plate can still look a bit distinct from your red Paladin's plate.

It's not necessary, of course. But, I think one more factor beyond a primary and secondary color selector works wonders in many a game. Especially if it's something pretty clever and variety-rich (such as the application of trophies and/or patterns/textures, etc.)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

here are two questions that are really naggin me Josh/Kaz, would be great if you (or someone else who knows) could answer them

1. in the case the portraits are originally drawn in bigger size than the one they are going to be in the game, like it has been the case with some of the IWD ones, do you think it would be possible to get our hands on those larger ones in some way?

2. are there any more of these superb portrait-style concept arts like the one of the dwarven ranger or the godlike around? (or are planned for the future) if so, could those be posted at some point after the game is finisched? chances are, people would love to see them, and since you have given the impression that those won't be used in the actual game at all, i think it would be such an incredible shame to see them "wasted" that way

i for one will possibly like those concept arts quite a bit more as portraits, rather than the actual portraits, if those are shoulder up only as you say

*goes down to his knees* pleaaaaaaase *plea* *beg*

it may look a bit weird, that i care so much about this, but the chance to see more art in the style of IWD had been one the major factors for me to back this project, i just care ;)

Edited by lolaldanee
  • Like 1

^ Just put 'em in lore books through the game, like encyclopedia entries, depictions of events, etc. That'd be a pretty awesome use of all the art that doesn't go directly into character models and in-game assets. ^_^

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Not if you install the 1pp mod (for BG/BG2/IWD/IWD2)... Among many other subtle-but-awesome graphics enhancements, it makes more gear items adapt to the character colors, even shields and quarterstaves!

Seriously, everyone should install that mod when replaying the IE games nowadays, even if you want "pure unmodded gameplay" - the changes it makes are purely cosmetic (except for some tiny optional ones that you can skip during installation), but they definitely make those games look prettier and less outdated.

Edited by Ineth
  • Like 2

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

Re: portraits: we've revised them a little bit.  We are currently using two sizes of portraits, one for the character/inventory/dialogue screen and one for the main HUD.  The "big" portrait is 210x330, the size of BG and IWD portraits.  The smaller portraits are 73x86, though that size may change a little.  The larger portraits are "head and shoulders" with a bit extra, the closest comparison would be BG1 portraits.  For the companion portraits we've done so far, Kaz has managed to really capture some engaging characters.  I think you will like them.

The golden ratio is 1.62:1, so under that ideal a portrait 330 pix high would have a width of 204 px. Also, most portrait frames have a weighted bottom, which might help with the presentation. Just saying... :)

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Further ideas, the more I think about it:

Wanted posters (maybe the sketchier versions, rather than the painted masterpiece artworks), paintings and such for the stronghold, paintings in notable NPCs mansions/estates/quarters or throughout castles and palaces (portraits of noblefolk and whatnot), pictures in a museum or some kind of House of Curios, etc.

The "big" portrait is 210x330, the size of BG and IWD portraits.

That's going to be very small on the screen though in comparison to the amount of size the BG/IWD portrait took up in the character record screen

I was thinking the same thing until I read:

Those are 110x170.  PE's are 210x330, like these, but close-up.

http://www.planetbaldursgate.com/iwd/character/portraits/

and realised that the 'in-game' portraits in BG were the 110x170 variety and the 'character creation' screen (and 'end-game') portraits were the 210x330 variety.

So if the 210x330 are the in-game (character record screen) portraits then it'll look fine on my monitor :)

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Will there be portraits for non-cNPCs as well like BG2/ToB ?

Or can it at least be possible to show these in the engine so we can mod in our own portraits?

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat: