They never announced anything regarding a big 1st anniversary update. Sooo, the only thing that was out of place was your expectation if it bothers you so much.

Also, I'm sure some people would disagree on the "boring" and "some bloke" part.

They never announced anything, true. But nobody saw that coming. Two weeks of work (since last update) and suddenly Obsidian wants you to know about their employee? What he thinks about the human existence? I think some people would agree, that they (devs) can do better. And yes, I find it boring. A bloke is a guy, a chap, a dude. Are you questioning his gender?

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

They never announced anything regarding a big 1st anniversary update. Sooo, the only thing that was out of place was your expectation if it bothers you so much.

Also, I'm sure some people would disagree on the "boring" and "some bloke" part.

They never announced anything, true. But nobody saw that coming. Two weeks of work (since last update) and suddenly Obsidian wants you to know about their employee? What he thinks about the human existence? I think some people would agree, that they (devs) can do better. And yes, I find it boring. A bloke is a guy, a chap, a dude. Are you questioning his gender?
*some*

Also we had those developer QA's before and yes some people do like and appreaciate them, since some of us do care who and how the sausage gets made. Like socially as well. I know that can be a wild concept.

Also I kinda doubt they put two entire weeks just in an update, but hey.

Edited by C2B
  • Like 3

It's hardly rude to kind of expect/hope for something. It's rude to suggest someone's at fault for not meeting your expectations/hopes. Then to suggest that a Q&A with "some bloke" Kaz is, in and of itself, somehow worthless, rather than simply expressing your personal lack of interest in the topic of individual developer personal Q&A's, and your increased interest in other aspects of the project.

It's called etiquette. It's not that you can't voice your opinions on the matter. It's just that, there are ways to do it without being rude or mildly insulting. It's like if someone took the time to prepare a meal for you, and you were kind of craving something else... the difference between "Ahh, I have this crazy craving today for pizza, but thank you for this meal you've prepared me" and slapping the tray out of their hands and saying "Where's some friggin' PIZZA?! GYAH!"

The fact that you expected to get pizza in no way lessens the value of their effort and offering of the meal they made you.

• Like 12

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

This was probably the most anticipated update so far. One year has passed after the end of kickstarter campaign and all we got is this lousy dissapointing and boring Q&A with some bloke. What about the fullfilment site? What about news? Or a whole-year summary at least... the only interesting thing in this newsflash are pictures at the end.

I find it weird you were expecting an update on the fulfilment site when your post in the fulfilment site thread was asking why it's so important for everyone and why time and resources should be wasted on it. http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/64139-fulfilment-site/?p=1369082

Anyway, good update. Some comments brought a smile to my face. A question for Kaz, was there anything with the UI in the IE games that you didn't like?

• Like 4

I'm looking forward to seeing how the UI works out.

I'm sure they will make a system that is faithful to the IE games, but part of me would like to see a more radical approach...

Not along the lines of what we typically see in RPG's and MMO's these days, but like an alternative timeline highly evolved UI... Something that doesn't seek to minimize the UI and "streamline" it... But brings it front and center.

Make an inventory UI that embraces the fun of item collecting - not simply categorizes and organizes it. Something that is almost a mini-game in itself... And don't misunderstand me by thinking I don't care about categorization or organization... I want it to fully embrace the best of what modern UX design has to offer... Categories, tags, customization and all other matter of bells and whistles. Allow us to filter and sort items by all of their characteristics and have hierarchical categories that allow us to see relationships, origins and even the evolution of weapons through time.

Don't concentrate on limiting inventory, or realism. Allow players to build massive vaults and treasure troves. Make a crafting system where we can visualize our components... Maybe a player decides to smelt all of the non magical equipment he finds into vast hoards of iron, steel, copper, tin, platinum, bronze and other metallic bars until it is stacked to the ceiling in a warehouse at his keep.

Make UI elements for managing the mini-games I suggested before that you could get lost in for hours... Selling, trading, importing, exporting, donating and swindling goods in a multitude of ways.

Give us a fleet of beasts of burden to transport our inventory, from mules to wyverns... And allow us to build caravans worthy of the biggest guilds found in RPGs, complete with mercenaries, festival attractions, mystic gypsies and all manner of oddities and attractions so we can create our own traveling road show for a profit, or trek across the game world to take part in massive seasonal celebrations.

Give us an open source designed encyclopedia that functions as a wiki, allowing us to make notes, how to guides, bestiaries and back stories from materials found within the game or even created ourselves... Allow us even to share this custom content created for our libraries over the internet within the game, complete with a ratings system and category / tag system similar to what you might find while searching products on Amazon. Present us all of these readable materials in a lore friendly way onscreen, and even allow us to share that text with our phones and other mobile devices to read while we are on the road. Perhaps some of the most popular, well written content will find its way into mods, expansions or even sequels one day. After all, one of the biggest reasons the Forgotten Realms became such a huge name is that it embraced the autonomy of art, guiding it with original ideas from the publishers over time, but also taking from creative fans what they happily provide the community of the game they enjoy so much.

Make the spell UI an enthralling thing to skim through, with spell descriptions and lore circles that remind us of the first time we read lists of spells and discovered what 'area of effect', 'casting time', 'duration', and other information entailed... Have it use the same, brilliantly thought out and optimized organizational system I eluded to above when talking about inventory categories and tags. Make it a beautiful UI that is as fun to explore as the best websites companies with brilliant designers like Blizzard and Tesla have made.

Don't worry about making the UI minimal or trendy, make it something we have never seen before, and never knew we wanted. I loved the menus in the IE games, but more than a decade later, it is time for something more.

I'm sure the UI is well on its way to completion, and I understand that some of what I mention is easier said than done, but it would be nice to see a developer take this mini-game approach to building a UI that not only gets the job done, but is a hell of a lot of fun to experience while doing it.

Wow super Update but can you give as a hint about what next update will be? :)

Honestly, I am not sure what the next one will be yet. There are a few ideas running around right now.

I'd at least say *something* regarding the fullfillment site.

It is close, but we aren't ready to talk about it. Once everything is together we will give a larger update about it.

I can't go into all of the details, but once everything is ready we will present to the public fairly quickly.

• Like 2

Wow super Update but can you give as a hint about what next update will be? :)

Honestly, I am not sure what the next one will be yet. There are a few ideas running around right now.

story update or attribute system?

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

It is close, but we aren't ready to talk about it. Once everything is together we will give a larger update about it.

I can't go into all of the details, but once everything is ready we will present to the public fairly quickly.

No worries.

Haters gonna hate, and waiters gonna wait. :)

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I agree, this was totally the wrong tone for an anniversary celebration, from my own experience it should be far more silent, uncomfortable and awkward.

• Like 10

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I'm more interested in the tablet picture where I see an orlan detective and a close up of a chest. Some sort of lock picking mini-game? Maybe a riddle chest like in betrayal at krondor?

Also looks like a character pic for inventory screen. So drag n drop items for inventory screen confirmed?

Edited by Tuckey
  • Like 1

I'm more interested in the tablet picture where I see an orlan detective and a close up of a chest. Some sort of lock picking mini-game? Maybe a riddle chest like in betrayal at krondor?

Also looks like a character pic for inventory screen. So drag n drop items for inventory screen confirmed?

;)

Interesting, first 'shot' of the inventory. Was it public knowledge that PE was going to have inventory paperdolls? Also, wonder what the badges in the lower-left are.. abilities? Resists? Too bad my CSI image enhance technology is circa 1993...

Z6G5eZB.png

• Like 1

Interesting, first 'shot' of the inventory. Was it public knowledge that PE was going to have inventory paperdolls? Also, wonder what the badges in the lower-left are.. abilities? Resists? Too bad my CSI image enhance technology is circa 1993...

Z6G5eZB.png

Kaz is working on the inventory UI.  The icons below the portrait are "mine" (i.e. just placeholders) and represent (top) Stamina, Health, Main Hand Accuracy, Off-Hand Accuracy and (bottom) the four defenses: Deflection, Fortitude, Reflexes, and Psyche.  Of course, it's still a work in progress.

• Like 7