Update by Kazunori Aruga, Concept Artist, and Brandon Adler, you-know-what-I-do

pe-kaz-work-580.jpg

Hello, backers. This week we are profiling another talented Concept Artist on Eternity, Kaz Aruga. While Kaz wears many artist hats his largest contributions are area and UI concepts. Enjoy.

Q: Hello, Kaz. What is your job on the Project Eternity team?

Before I start I want to quickly thank all you awesome peeps who backed our game. I wouldn't be here working on my dream project if it weren't for you all, so thank you for making this a reality!

I have two responsibilities on Project Eternity. The first is supplying the asset and environment teams with concept art. The second is producing art for the game's UI. I'm occasionally tasked with scripted interaction art and will start producing character portraits further down the road. 

Q: What are you working on this week?

I've been tasked with inventory and character creation UI. *leaps away as a massive fireball of community UI rage engulfs the land*

But seriously, I appreciated the feedback you all gave us for the action bar and conversation UI. I've taken notes and been implementing ideas that are in alignment with our design goals. As a side note, being a fan of the IE games and having a lot of experience playing them has proven very useful as it helps me identify what worked and what didn’t. I'm sure we all have fond memories of shuffling piles of arrows between characters. 

Q: What is your typical work day like on Project Eternity?

My day usually starts by fighting off Robs and Polinas to get to the Keurig coffee machine in our room. Consuming the glorious bean drink allows me access to all two neurons in my head, which I then rub together as hard as I can to start making artwork. My day varies a lot from this point based on the task I'm on. For character and environment work a good chunk of time will be devoted to gathering reference and inspiration, or doing homework on a specific subject. I'll then do a rough sketch pass which gets reviewed by the leads and other artists. When I'm on scripted interaction art I work closely with our designers Bobby and Jorge, and for UI I interface with our project lead Josh and Brian who is our programming intern.

pe-kaz-coffee-580.jpg

Q: What are you most looking forward to on Project Eternity?

Just the fact that we can put an IE inspired game on the market is enough to get me excited. It's been long overdue. I'm looking forward to seeing all the hard work we are putting in coming together as one complete package, and seeing reactions of people playing the game!

Q: Which concept that you have done has been your favorite?

Artists are typically never happy with their own work. Next question! :p

I've enjoyed working on art for scripted interactions, and been pretty happy with the results. I've also been putting a lot of work into inventory UI recently and am happy with the results coming out of that.

pe-water-tunnel-ext-580.jpg

Q: What other projects have you worked on?

Before this job I was up in San Francisco working as a texture artist on a television series called Star Wars: The Clone Wars. I've also done some matte painting work in the film industry.

Q: What do you like to do when you aren't chained to your desk by your producer?

My off time often includes episodes of Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, a cold beer, and dual wielding our two resident cats Puddy Tat and Lil'Babs. They are the best. I also have an unhealthy and destructive relationship with Ramen. (No, not the vile instant noodles. How dare you call that Ramen!) Thankfully LA has an abundance of good shops to satisfying my craving.

pe-dragon-hatchling-580.jpg

Q: Do you have a favorite concept artist?

Here's a few that popped into my head. I'll link to their site and save you all a google search.

On the painting and illustration side..

And of course the greats from the past...

• John Singer Sargent

• Jean-Léon Gérôme

• The Wyeths

• Norman Rockwell

• J. C. Leyendecker

• Isaac Levitan

Q: And where do you draw your inspiration from?

Nature is a big one of course. I also think back on how blessed we are with powerful tools like Google image search. We don’t neglect traditional resources, but I honestly can't imagine working at our current pace without it.

pe-db-mood-580.jpg

Q: What's your favorite Infinity Engine game? Why?

BG1 for exploring the vast wilderness. I can still recall the music and hear the birds chirping in the distance. BG2 is a close 2nd for its story and companions. The only title I haven't finished is IWD2 which I am playing through currently, and I will say I'm enjoying the combat.

Q: Existential question of the day: Who are we and why are we?

We're just here, man. There's no why, everything just IS. You feel me?

Q: Anything else you would like to share?

Long live the glorious PC gaming master race. *lets out a nerdy war cry and bangs mouse and keyboard together*

That's it for this week. Hope you guys enjoyed getting closer look into what Kaz does for us. See you guys in a couple weeks.

• Like 24

An update before 12AM over here.

Can't wait to slay those dragons.

Also, only barbarians fight for coffee. True monks like me would have kicked the opponent in the holy place and then calmly started drinking my newly brewed coffee.

Edited by Labadal

I think I speak for everyone in that we're very happy to have you on the Project and I have loved every piece of your concept art I have seen so far.

The area/city art has been my favourite so far.

Hopefully the portraits are up there with IWD and fight the minimalists for a larger portrait size in the UI ;)

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

Thanks for the amazingful Q&A, Kaz! I feel like you're now one of my good acquaintances... while I remain a random stranger to you... which makes me feel a bit creepy. Don't worry, I didn't see that crazy-awesome doodle you made on that napkin at that food-staraunt last Thursday... *creepy smile*.

Haha. Really, though. I live in Mississippi, so no worries. We haven't even invented shoes yet, much less cars. Everyone knows this.

But seriously, splendid Q&A, and it's good to know that a lot of the art is being performed by someone who's not only a BAMF at artistry, but also is a BAMF at nerd-sonality.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Happy anniversary! Very nice drawings Kaz. Is there a reason that the hatchling front-legs are thicker an more muscular than the back legs? J/W. Everything looks great!

Edited by Hormalakh

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

Ty for answer sir can i have one more question when you(Devs) be ready to tell as more about other non-core class to this point we had them, Monks and PALADINS;) but i'm really up for some info about other class especially the Ciphers.

Edited by GrayAngel

Wow super Update but can you give as a hint about what next update will be? :)

Honestly, I am not sure what the next one will be yet. There are a few ideas running around right now.

I'd at least say *something* regarding the fullfillment site.

Honestly, I am not sure what the next one will be yet. There are a few ideas running around right now.

It is close, but we aren't ready to talk about it. Once everything is together we will give a larger update about it.

• Like 4

It is close, but we aren't ready to talk about it. Once everything is together we will give a larger update about it.

Will this update be out of order then? Like when it's done the update gets out regardless of the usual shedule?

I'm sure we all have fond memories of shuffling piles of arrows between characters.

I do, actually. I think that was a good feature in BG - particularly with how the game wouldn't let you access the inventory while paused, so you really needed to think about where all your ammo was in advance.

I was very disappointed that every other IE game paused the in-game action when the inventory was open.

Hopefully, you'll let us at least control whether the game pauses while accessing inventory.

Edited by Sylvius the Mad

God used to be my co-pilot, but then we crashed in the Andes and I had to eat him.

And this what i like honest answer not maybes or if can will do just when we ready we will give it too you. Keep up the good work and remember we are not Lucas Arts LA if you(Devs) need more time to make PE better game just tell as we will understand.

PS. One of the weird question it never was tell is now the official name of this game is Project Eternity or you still not sure i'm asking because it 1 year already:) 

Update by Kazunori Aruga, Concept Artist, and Brandon Adler, you-know-what-I-do

Q: Anything else you would like to share?
Long live the glorious PC gaming master race. *lets out a nerdy war cry and bangs mouse and keyboard together*

That's it for this week. Hope you guys enjoyed getting closer look into what Kaz does for us. See you guys in a couple weeks.

HUZZAH!

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

This was probably the most anticipated update so far. One year has passed after the end of kickstarter campaign and all we got is this lousy dissapointing and boring Q&A with some bloke. What about the fullfilment site? What about news? Or a whole-year summary at least... the only interesting thing in this newsflash are pictures at the end.

Cutting long story short:

I do stuff. Like, a lot.

YAY! :down:

Edited by Messier-31

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

This was probably the most anticipated update so far. One year has passed after the end of kickstarter campaign and all we got is this lousy dissapointing and boring Q&A with some bloke. What about the fullfilment site? What about news? Or a whole-year summary at least... the only interesting thing in this newsflash are pictures at the end.

Cutting long story short:

I do stuff. Like, a lot.

YAY! :down:

They never announced anything regarding a big 1st anniversary update. Sooo, the only thing that was out of place was your expectation if it bothers you so much.

Also, I'm sure some people would disagree on the "boring" and "some bloke" part.

Edited by C2B
  • Like 10