Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Features concerns so far

update concern criticism

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
170 replies to this topic

quechn1tlan

quechn1tlan

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Ok, where was it stated that there will be no kill xp?
When there was that topic there were just some guys throwing unsubstantiated opinions backed by a quote that stated they maybe, possible, perhaps thinking of doing this.
Don't tell me that devs confirmed this nonsense somewhere.

I mean, what's even the point of playing then?

Here, have an rpg focused on tactical combat. Oh, by the way, combat has no point whatsoever.

Tamerlane

Tamerlane

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1125 posts

If you enjoy combat, you don't need increasing numbers to validate your experience.

• mcmanusaur likes this

Valorian

Valorian

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 971 posts

They did confirm this nonsense.

Supposedly, the point is to let players consistently avoid combat (in a combat focused game with combat focused gamey attributes, yes), by absurdly diminishing the incentive to engage in combat.

quechn1tlan

quechn1tlan

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

If you enjoy combat, you don't need increasing numbers to validate your experience.

Well I didn't ask for your opinion on MY preferences, have I?
I just want to know if it is an official thing, or just another wild speculation blown out of proportion by a couple of over-eager forum goers.

Well, thanks for the info.
Sad day is upon us, indeed.
I hope the story is Planescape levels then, cause gameplay seems to turn out to be utterly stupid.

Edited by quechn1tlan, 14 September 2013 - 01:53 AM.

Tamerlane

Tamerlane

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1125 posts

Official thang.

Valorian

Valorian

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 971 posts

Well, thanks for the info.
Sad day is upon us, indeed.
I hope the story is Planescape levels then, cause gameplay seems to turn out to be utterly stupid.

Oh, you're welcome.

They could at least award XP for the first creature of a given type that you defeat; first "wolf", first "dire wolf", first "Dyrwood bandit", for each named individual and unique monster etc.

Valorian

Valorian

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 971 posts

Or not.. if we'd end up in a situation where they give as many creatures the same basic name to avoid awarding too much XP. :/

Maybe just reduce the overall impact of combat XP compared to " objective XP ".

Chilloutman

Chilloutman

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1550 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Maybe my mind will be blown but most of the mechanics as described so far sound like a soup sandwich to me.

1) No healing. C'mon man.
2) No resurrection. I guess this is a non factor since we cant die unless there is a TPW, which means reload anyway.
3) No fast travel.
4) Walking everywhere to go heal / rest / regain abilities. See above for good times.
5) No kill xp.
6) All classes can be all things.

1) I am quite torn around this, it seems it may be fun but I have to see it with my own eyes working. Bad implementatin will mean rest spawn or devils tool
Spoiler

2) same as above
3) well I can live with that, it was not much issue for me in IE games
4) as point 1
5) doesnt seems so radical, but I also sometimes like to farm XP
6) this I am not sure about how they mean it. I for exaple like if I can make cleric good frontline fighter even that it was suposed to be more healing/buffing bot.

I have no "real" concerns that are really worth mentioning or "bashing" at.

I don't have enough information regarding the "Attributes" to say anything about it. The only thing I hope is that they go the "Fallout"- or "IE" games route regarding this (Attributes that are pretty much "set" all game and can be boosted by a one-time item or a one-time Level at Level 6 or 7 and Skill Sets that can be upgraded more frequently). Then, in my opinion, they can call the stats whatever they want.

All in all, I would need more information regarding this.

Also, Chilloutman, in this link in your OP you say:

I think they going for this:[/size]

http://wiki.guildwar...mary_attributes

Whilst here, in this thread, you say:

here is link where you can see what they are actually aiming for:

http://wiki.guildwar.../wiki/Attribute

Am I misunderstanding something?

Anyways... I don't really have no concerns ^^

where you can see what they are actually aiming for:

yeah, i would add

where you can see what they are actually aiming for: by my opinion and from what I read so far

Sorry, didnt want to confuse or be too radical. English is not my native language. And you are nitpicking :biggrin:

Edited by Chilloutman, 14 September 2013 - 05:11 AM.

Fearabbit

Fearabbit

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 343 posts

Things I'm worried about:

1) They took out Repairing. Which in my opinion is a hugely important balancing feature.

2) Crafting... I loved it in Arcanum, hated it in pretty much every other game. I hope it won't be like the system in NWN2 (where, if I remember correctly, the most important thing was that you had loads of empty flasks).

2) The weird attributes - basically I just want to know what to expect here, because I've never played an RPG that didn't have some sort of standard set of attributes.

3) The stash - as Sawyer said, the game will be balanced around the assumption that players pick up and sell all the loot they find. It sounds tedious. However, it might cancel out with a probably-broken economy.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5075 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

2) World map

- In one of latest updates was confirmed that there will be travel system as in BG. It was ok system but after playing NWN2 SoZ, Fallout 1,2 and Arcanum I really like explorable world map, especially because I love ranger class and it always seems gimped when core advantages of this class are not usefull in game

Yes, some type of overland movement system would be nice. Not necessarily to the level of detail of Fallout or SoZ, but at least a mesh or grid to give a sense of choosing your own path. Perhaps once areas of the overland map are explored, it would include an auto-plot feature to draw an optimum movement plan for you as you move the mouse about.

As for Rangers, well hopefully they'll allow you to avoid ambushes in area maps--especially since there's little or no XP for grinding.

Edited by rjshae, 14 September 2013 - 06:19 AM.

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2906 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
No XP for psychopathic murder counts?

Good riddance. One of the best things Sawyer and Cain came up with.
  • Enoch, Hassat Hunter, lolaldanee and 2 others like this

Osvir

Osvir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3799 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Supposedly, the point is to let players consistently avoid combat (in a combat focused game with combat focused gamey attributes, yes), by absurdly diminishing the incentive to engage in combat.

I haven't thought of this aspect before in combination with the No-Combat XP:

- Random "Map Travel" Encounters

Will they be treated as Objectives or is it just an Obstacle that gives nothing but maybe some random low-par Leather Armor loot? Are Random Encounters going to be in PE at all? Would you be able to escape from a Random Encounter?

I believe in Objective XP, but I also believe in Combat XP in these circumstances... if I encounter a Random Encounter and I've encountered a similar one several times before... would I really want to fight it again when I already know what kind of stuff they drop and I know I won't get any experience from it (except for maybe learning to play the game a little bit better, but that's a pretty redundant reward in this sort of situation)? :/

You can probably do "Objective XP" differently... but I'm speculation Obsidian might do something like this:

[Quest Edit]
Some story about the quest:
- Guard Faction wants help with the Bandits in the woods.
- The Bandits does not know that the Guards have a hidden outpost nearby.
- Taking out the Bandit Patrol will alert the Bandits to the Guards presence, as the Patrol is supposed to return at some point as well. If they go missing, the Bandits grow suspicious. And they will have better gear when you arrive.
- Not taking out the Bandit Patrol will allow you to catch the Bandit Camp by surprise later.
[Quest Edit End]

Objective XP: Combat
1. Objective is to go to Point C, you are at Point A.
2. At Point B there are 3 Bandits who are patrolling
- Bandit George
- Bandit Paul
- Bandit Lars

Each bandit is worth 100 Experience each (300 XP Total)

3. You get to Point C and now you are rewarded with completion of the objective, and for taking out the enemies. 300 XP+250 XP worth.

Objective XP: No Combat
1. You are at Point A, get to Point C
2. At Point B you meet the Bandits, but choose not to engage, because the objective is just to get to Point C.
3. At Point C you are rewarded with 100 XP for getting to the location quickly and you didn't take out the Bandit patrol (which would've been revealing to the position at Point C) and +250 XP for completion.

Of course, the reason I put 100 XP for "No Combat" is because you'll face the 3 Bandits later at the Bandit Camp (100 XP worth). Similarly, if you take out the Bandits by Combat, when they gear up at the Camp maybe you gain 110 XP for each Bandit later or something. This is just 1 "Paragraph" of a much larger Quest after all (A Quest might be split up into several different Objectives). So, I believe you might get Experience for Combat, but in a sort of "Post-Combat" kind of way rather than the usual "Instant-Kill Reward XP".

In a way I look at it like a "job"~ metaphor.

You work hard for a couple of weeks, then you get your paycheck later.

In the IE games, you also work hard, but you get your paycheck instantly.

Edited by Osvir, 14 September 2013 - 07:16 AM.

motorizer

motorizer

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 260 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Maybe my mind will be blown but most of the mechanics as described so far sound like a soup sandwich to me.

2) No resurrection. I guess this is a non factor since we cant die unless there is a TPW, which means reload anyway.

3) No fast travel.

4) Walking everywhere to go heal / rest / regain abilities. See above for good times.

5) No kill xp.

1) will wait and see...but I'm glad we're not going to be stuffing 20 potions down every fight...stopping for a drink has never been a valid tactic in any known form of combat

2) resurrection just makes death inconsequential, good riddance

3) will have to wait and see how this works out..

4) see 3

5) good

6) I hate artificial restrictions on what you can do and rigid abilities, no one should be able to do everything but you should be able to make an unconventional character

mcmanusaur

mcmanusaur

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 602 posts

Look, guys. All that the lack of "combat XP" means is that combat is simply a means of achieving other ends in this game, not an end in and of itself. If you ask me, that's not a bad thing, unless you like having an incentive to grind for the sake of it.

• Hassat Hunter, lolaldanee, centurionofprix and 2 others like this

UpgrayeDD

UpgrayeDD

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 95 posts

3) No fast travel.

5) No kill xp.

1) will wait and see...but I'm glad we're not going to be stuffing 20 potions down every fight...stopping for a drink has never been a valid tactic in any known form of combat

2) resurrection just makes death inconsequential, good riddance

3) will have to wait and see how this works out..

4) see 3

5) good

6) I hate artificial restrictions on what you can do and rigid abilities, no one should be able to do everything but you should be able to make an unconventional character

1. Neither has magic(which is what potions are) yet thats making its way into the game.  And what IE games were you playing where you chugged 20 potions down every fight?

2. So does characters that just get back up after every fight(looking at you NWN2).

5. And I love that you think it's not logical to be able to heal yourself with magic and think that avoiding combat shouldn't have eny bearing on your experience or ability in battle.

UpgrayeDD

UpgrayeDD

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 95 posts

Look, guys. All that the lack of "combat XP" means is that combat is simply a means of achieving other ends in this game, not an end in and of itself. If you ask me, that's not a bad thing, unless you like having an incentive to grind for the sake of it.

My only problem with it is it makes avoiding combat the best way to handle most any given situation that doesn't net you magic items or directly achieve quest goals.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5075 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

My only problem with it is it makes avoiding combat the best way to handle most any given situation that doesn't net you magic items or directly achieve quest goals.

Why it's almost like... the real world. Imagine that. ;)

tumblr_m7bigxISso1ql91j6o1_500.gif

tumblr_m7bigxISso1ql91j6o2_500.gif

Edited by rjshae, 14 September 2013 - 09:35 AM.

• Fearabbit likes this

mcmanusaur

mcmanusaur

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 602 posts

How so? It simply makes combat not necessarily the best way when it otherwise would have been, no?

Why it's almost like... the real world. Imagine that. ;)

My immersion disappears the second that there are believable consequences to disembowling inhabitants of fantasy worlds. :disguise:

JFSOCC

JFSOCC

Mentor & Student of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2255 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I fear corridor maps and single solution obstacles.
I fear character-class pigeon-holing.
I fear time constraints end up downscoping the game.
  • KaineParker and Malekith like this

KaineParker

KaineParker

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3021 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
I don't really have many pressing concerns and am storing outrage until more details are revealed.

I dunno, you could actually enjoy combat.

I fear corridor maps and single solution obstacles.I fear character-class pigeon-holing.I fear time constraints end up downscoping the game.

I have a slight fear about these things as well.

Edited by KaineParker, 14 September 2013 - 09:36 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: update, concern, criticism

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users