Ok, where was it stated that there will be no kill xp?
Don't tell me that devs confirmed this nonsense somewhere.
I mean, what's even the point of playing then?
They did confirm this nonsense.
Supposedly, the point is to let players consistently avoid combat (in a combat focused game with combat focused gamey attributes, yes), by absurdly diminishing the incentive to engage in combat.
I haven't thought of this aspect before in combination with the No-Combat XP:
- Random "Map Travel" Encounters
Will they be treated as Objectives or is it just an Obstacle that gives nothing but maybe some random low-par Leather Armor loot? Are Random Encounters going to be in PE at all? Would you be able to escape from a Random Encounter?
I believe in Objective XP, but I also believe in Combat XP in these circumstances... if I encounter a Random Encounter and I've encountered a similar one several times before... would I really want to fight it again when I already know what kind of stuff they drop and I know I won't get any experience from it (except for maybe learning to play the game a little bit better, but that's a pretty redundant reward in this sort of situation)? :/
You can probably do "Objective XP" differently... but I'm speculation Obsidian might do something like this:
Some story about the quest:
- Guard Faction wants help with the Bandits in the woods.
- The Bandits does not know that the Guards have a hidden outpost nearby.
- Taking out the Bandit Patrol will alert the Bandits to the Guards presence, as the Patrol is supposed to return at some point as well. If they go missing, the Bandits grow suspicious. And they will have better gear when you arrive.
- Not taking out the Bandit Patrol will allow you to catch the Bandit Camp by surprise later.
[Quest Edit End]
Objective XP: Combat
1. Objective is to go to Point C, you are at Point A.
2. At Point B there are 3 Bandits who are patrolling
- Bandit George
- Bandit Paul
- Bandit Lars
Each bandit is worth 100 Experience each (300 XP Total)
3. You get to Point C and now you are rewarded with completion of the objective, and for taking out the enemies. 300 XP+250 XP worth.
Objective XP: No Combat
1. You are at Point A, get to Point C
2. At Point B you meet the Bandits, but choose not to engage, because the objective is just to get to Point C.
3. At Point C you are rewarded with 100 XP for getting to the location quickly and you didn't take out the Bandit patrol (which would've been revealing to the position at Point C) and +250 XP for completion.
Of course, the reason I put 100 XP for "No Combat" is because you'll face the 3 Bandits later at the Bandit Camp (100 XP worth). Similarly, if you take out the Bandits by Combat, when they gear up at the Camp maybe you gain 110 XP for each Bandit later or something. This is just 1 "Paragraph" of a much larger Quest after all (A Quest might be split up into several different Objectives). So, I believe you might get Experience for Combat, but in a sort of "Post-Combat" kind of way rather than the usual "Instant-Kill Reward XP".
In a way I look at it like a "job"~ metaphor.
You work hard for a couple of weeks, then you get your paycheck later.
In the IE games, you also work hard, but you get your paycheck instantly.
Edited by Osvir, 14 September 2013 - 07:16 AM.