What are you playing now?

Gorth

I just got around to playing Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs for the first time (birthday season keeps me busy) and it terrified me like no game since the original has. It's more subtle, not so many overt monster encounters and more things getting under your skin. I found a drawer full of dentures and broken glasses. What the hell? Definitely less gamey than The Dark Descent, there are almost no gameplay elements other than fetch this item to use it here so you can open this door - the "puzzles" are more like roadblocks forcing you to explore and feel the atmosphere.

Oh, the atmosphere! The music and sound design in this game is fantastic! Though it hasn't scared me quite as much as the original, a lot of elements are far better.

I have to take a step back from this, because the second half of this game seriously lacks. Subtlety goes out the window and gets replaced by equal parts bombastic and obtuse. It is great at building towards scares, bad at delivering them. The writing and sound design are still fantastic, but it seems like most of it seems like good ideas that got extremely rushed or just badly put together.

I found out the big secret behind Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs.

Everyone in that town is an alcoholic. There are whine bottles everywhere. Every room has at least a whine bottle, in every shelf I find whine bottles and even in the cellars and on the streets you find whine bottles. It's really no wonder they have "amnesia" if they drink so much.

Haha, so true. It's also a big fan of the tried and true barrels and crates.

Currently playing New Vegas.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Volgarr the Viking. Purchased for $9 off of GOG, so around £6.25, extremely unforgiving game but very enjoyable and well worth the money.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Volgarr the Viking. Purchased for $9 off of GOG, so around £6.25, extremely unforgiving game but very enjoyable and well worth the money.

I saw that on GOG.  It looks very Rastan-like.  Is that a fair comparison?

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Yes indeed, along with a little Ghosts and Goblins, in the form of armour equalling health. One warning there are no save points on levels, so death means try again from the beginning.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

At the very last part of Diablo III, just about to face the final boss.  My Demon Hunter is up to level 50, with the XP bar creeping very close to 51.  Not sure if it will reach 51 after the end boss battle.  Probably not.

Looks like I'm going to have to play at least part way through a third play through to reach the level 60.  I was kind of hoping I'd reach it during this play through.

I don't want to break your spirit, but you won't be hitting lvl 60 till the very end of your playthrough.  As it was with the pc release, it's the same with console version.  The third difficulty is for levels 50ish to level 60, because you can't play inferno without hitting level 60. 

Yes indeed, along with a little Ghosts and Goblins, in the form of armour equalling health. One warning there are no save points on levels, so death means try again from the beginning.

Though once you beat a world you can go to the next by going left instead of right at the start of the game. But as the game has multiple endings you have to beat it in one session to get the best ending.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

At the very last part of Diablo III, just about to face the final boss.  My Demon Hunter is up to level 50, with the XP bar creeping very close to 51.  Not sure if it will reach 51 after the end boss battle.  Probably not.

Looks like I'm going to have to play at least part way through a third play through to reach the level 60.  I was kind of hoping I'd reach it during this play through.

I don't want to break your spirit, but you won't be hitting lvl 60 till the very end of your playthrough.  As it was with the pc release, it's the same with console version.  The third difficulty is for levels 50ish to level 60, because you can't play inferno without hitting level 60. 

I'm realizing that.  I'm at level 54 now and at the end of Act I.  In effect, I only leveled up around 3 levels from the end of my last play through until the end of Act I in this play through.

Looks like it will take sometime until the fourth act for me to reach 60 at this rate.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Playing the Dragon Age 2 DLCs. These are actually pretty nice so far. Though Legacy hints at being more of Dragon Age 2's "everything you do is a failure." I still liked the exploration of the setting.

And Tallis apparently can't pick the lock on a wooden door, but can pick the lock on an iron portcullis. I didn't even know people put locks on the portcullis itself. That seems like a design flaw.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

And Tallis apparently can't pick the lock on a wooden door, but can pick the lock on an iron portcullis. I didn't even know people put locks on the portcullis itself. That seems like a design flaw.

I have to say if it was intended it is an embarrassing and humorous logical design flaw  :lol:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Of Orcs and Men - Got to the mind trip part.  Decided to go Path of the Assassin with Styx and Path of the Master with Arkail.  The Arkail choice was a no-brainer as I try to avoid going berserk as much as possible and Path of the Master allows me to burn off rage and convert it into useful bonuses.  The choice with Styx was more difficult, but I'm more of a knife wielder than a bomb or spell thrower, so I figure the assassin path was a better choice for me. 

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Level 57 and a bit, right at the end of Act II.  I could probably run around the different maps and hope to come across events that will level me up to 58 before leaving Act II, but I don't know if I want to do that.  It gets tedious grinding like that.

At this rate, I should hit level 60 either by the end of Act III or sometime early in Act IV.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Diablo III on my PS3.

It has been fun, reminds me a bit of doing Diablo on the PS1 but with better graphics.  Fiddled a bit with all the classes and I think I'm committed to following the Monk.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

GTA 5

This, after work.

Conformity effects are fascinating. I haven't liked a GTA since III. I have absolutely 0 intellectual interest in GTA V. In fact, I need some sort of gimmick to be willing to glance at sandbox car theft titles.

But with everyone talking about GTA V, I am for some bizarre reason considering picking it up after work...

Wow that review sounds amazing, I knew Rockstar wouldn't disappoint. I can't wait till this game is released on PC !!! :dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

GTA 5

This, after work.

Conformity effects are fascinating. I haven't liked a GTA since III. I have absolutely 0 intellectual interest in GTA V. In fact, I need some sort of gimmick to be willing to glance at sandbox car theft titles.

But with everyone talking about GTA V, I am for some bizarre reason considering picking it up after work...

:biggrin:

I think you need to stand by your principles and not play GTA V

Think about your integrity and what people will think if they found out that you played GTA V after all the comments you made about not playing it, I'll keep you updated around what I do in the game and all the fun experiences I have :yes:

John Milton 

I'm waiting on GTA V as well, but mostly because I don't want to play it on my PS3.  I'll probably get it on the PC if it comes out.  Even then I'll wait for a sale.

I've been playing a lot of Dishonored and loving it.  The writing is great.  Bethesda really needs to learn from Arkane and Obsidian about how to fill a game with good books and notes, instead of the deluge of boring libraries they put in the Elder Scrolls games.

GTA 5

This, after work.

They are amusing games to play. I've also wanted another game like this ever since I beat Sleeping Dogs.

They are amusing games to play. I've also wanted another game like this ever since I beat Sleeping Dogs.

I liked Sleeping Dogs. But I liked it a lot for the combat. I liked Saint's Row IV, where I got VTOL and attack choppers. infamous where you get super powers.

Maybe the three protagonist structure can make this one stand apart. I hear Trevor is funny, which is something I recall GTA IV also lacking to the degree I desired.

Can't wait to grab it when it's dirt cheap on PC. Playing a bit of Arma 3 now, trying to get a handle on the controls and editor. Haven't looked up scripting, but for all it's suckiness Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising had a nice editor. At least for the fact that scripting was easy to add to a mission.

Oh, and for GTA V - https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/rockstar-games-dont-make-a-pc-version-of-gta-v#share

:lol:

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra