Dragon Age: Inquisition

Gorth

Start of old thread

End of old thread

Shamelessly copied from MC's intro post of past threads (give me a yell if it needs updating):

dragon-age-inquisitiongeneraljpg-30bee4_

Official Website

A cataclysmic event has plunged the land of Thedas into turmoil. Dragons now darken the sky, casting a shadow of terror over a once-peaceful kingdom. Mages have broken into an all-out war against the oppressive Templars. Nations rise against one another. It falls to you to restore order as you lead the Inquisition and hunt down the agents of chaos - your choices will forever change the Dragon Age.

The Fire's Above - trailer.

From IGN:

As the Chantry’s oppression of the mages comes to a head in the opening of Inquisition, a Fade tear splits the sky, leading dragons and other monsters into the fray, “and that kicks off the events." Following that, nations plunge into war, and “the decision is made to bring back an inquisition to find out what’s going on and stop this,” Flynn explains.

Release Date: Fall 2014

Supported: PS3, PS 4, XBox 360, XBox One, PC

Engine: DICE's Frostbyte

-----------------------------

Why Dragon Age: Inquisition isn't Called DA 3 - article

Open-World Re-Imagining - video interview

First Look: DA:I Concept Art - blog

DAI Wallpapers

A Look Inside Dragon Age: Inquisition's Development

Dragon Age: Inquisition Coverage Trailer - Game Informer

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I approve of the detail in the OP.  I vote a 100000% raise to your moderator wages.

Obsidian big-wig: "Hrmmm... 5 cents an hour it is, and not a penny more!"

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

My biggest unanswered question is why am I seeing this media bliz now. Was this scheduled before they moved the release or something?

I've been thinking about this too.  It sounds like they're targeting a holiday 2014 release, right? So possibly this is just standard AAA mega-game PR strategy: talk about the game early and often.  But it's also probably the last chance they'll have to make any major changes before they're locked-in designwise.  If some non-central aspect of what they're talking about met with horribly negative fan reaction now, they might still have time to course correct.  (Which would be unfeasible once we're within 9 months or so of release.)  Ergo, this could be an attempt to avoid another Dragon Age 2 where possible.

• Like 1

RPS Laidlaw Interview

RPS: Will there be any cameos by the cave from Dragon Age II? The infamous cave?

Laidlaw: Oh, the cave. No, I don’t expect that cave will return. I think we’ve probably used it enough.

LOL.

This game does sound good.  I hope they do deliver this time.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I honestly think that cave should make a reappearance. It'd be a funny easter egg or somethin'. They could even have a line like, "I'm having an odd feeling of deja vu here..."

• Like 4

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go:

I honestly think that cave should make a reappearance. It'd be a funny easter egg or somethin'. They could even have a line like, "I'm having an odd feeling of deja vu here..."

Agreed.  That would be awesome.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Well, the rolling seems a lot better after being explained. Still going to shout something about barrel rolls though.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

RPS Laidlaw Interview

RPS: Will there be any cameos by the cave from Dragon Age II? The infamous cave?

Laidlaw: Oh, the cave. No, I don’t expect that cave will return. I think we’ve probably used it enough.

LOL.

This game does sound good.  I hope they do deliver this time.

It is kinda funny how they can joke about being lazy and yet get away with it repeatedly. They've been reusing levels since Mass Effect.

They should add it as its own level, sort of like Infernal Mode in Diablo or any of the Insanity modes in various Bio games.  The entire game, everything takes place in that one cave.

Oh, and Anders hits on you non stop while Leliana sings that song in the background.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I have one question about DAI. Will it use Origins?

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jp

Not quite sure what I did there myself that earned me that reply... :unsure:

EDIT: Ah wait is it because, now that I reread what I typed, it sounds like a pun on Dragon Age Origins due it having part of the name that the download client uses?

I have one question about DAI. Will it use Origins?

Yes. To all the questions self contained in this one question. 

I thought as much. If the game turns out to be worth getting, I guess I'll have to figure out a way to remove Origins from the requirement after buying it.

'course that's assuming it's worth buying this time around and not a repeat of DA2 or ME3. /InherentlySkeptical

Edited by Augusta Corvina
image-163149-full.jpg

"It is kinda funny how they can joke about being lazy and yet get away with it repeatedly."

How many times does this have to be covered? It wasn't laziness; it was about lack of time. DA was made in 5+ years.  DA2 was made in less than 2. They are about the same length. Obviously, 'compromises' and 'sacrifices' have to be made. That isn't laziness. That said,  it backfired because that is easily the #1 complaint about the game. Followed by the equipment shenaningins and the fubar ending. And, I agree, those are all negatives. But, the reactity (aka C&C), characters, writing, and actual combat are pretty damn good.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"It is kinda funny how they can joke about being lazy and yet get away with it repeatedly."

How many times does this have to be covered? It wasn't laziness; it was about lack of time. DA was made in 5+ years.  DA2 was made in less than 2. They are about the same length. Obviously, 'compromises' and 'sacrifices' have to be made. That isn't laziness. That said,  it backfired because that is easily the #1 complaint about the game. Followed by the equipment shenaningins and the fubar ending. And, I agree, those are all negatives. But, the reactity (aka C&C), characters, writing, and actual combat are pretty damn good.

Then why didn't they make more time? Oh yeah, EA. 

Anyway my point was that aside from Baldur's Gate, they've never been good with area design. Mass Effect recycled. Mass Effect 2 and Origins were on the rails linear. At least they're trying n DA:I

Lol the writing was terrible. What on Earth are you talking about.

I would agree that it wasn't laziness, though.  It was greed.  It was "Let's churn this out as fast as possible because EA is the boss now and the shareholders want to get paid!"

Edited: DA2 is a great example, by the way, of how a big publisher with no concern for the medium they are working in can just swoop in and hose things up, all to make a few more bucks per share.  In this case the joke was one them, though, considering DAII sales were lower than DA:O sales. Which, in the world of video games, is almost impossible.  Sequels almost always make the same amount of money as the original, or more.  The game has to suck really bad for it to make less.

Edited by decado
  • Like 1

The Qunari aren't COOL ENOUGH. The need to be COOLER. Let's COOL THEM UP. Let's give them some HORNS so they will be WAY COOLER. And we'll explain it away with the worst retconning since Klingons got headridges. Don't worry, it will be SUPER X-TREME COOL!

• Like 3

The Qunari aren't COOL ENOUGH. The need to be COOLER. Let's COOL THEM UP. Let's give them some HORNS so they will be WAY COOLER. And we'll explain it away with the worst retconning since Klingons got headridges. Don't worry, it will be SUPER X-TREME COOL!

This post is Poochie approved!

4UqNvlT.png

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

How many times does this have to be covered? It wasn't laziness; it was about lack of time. DA was made in 5+ years. DA2 was made in less than 2. They are about the same length. Obviously, 'compromises' and 'sacrifices' have to be made. That isn't laziness. That said, it backfired because that is easily the #1 complaint about the game. Followed by the equipment shenaningins and the fubar ending. And, I agree, those are all negatives. But, the reactity (aka C&C), characters, writing, and actual combat are pretty damn good.

Wait, what do you mean the C&C was pretty damned good? I found that no matter my choices, everything turned out mostly the same. don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the game, but the C&C was not one of the high points.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg