RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

LadyCrimson

But hey, you're the Master of Communication, amirite?

Dunno 'bout master. But if you want to start a real fight I can oblige: at least I am literate enough to be able to read fine print on boxes that states "not available in all countries".

The point you think I missed was "GFWL was crap *crywailrage* I didn't read the label so now I complain that it wasn't there" instead of asking the question: "If the service wasn't available, why were the boxes being sold in the first place?" Because that is a valid complaint: if it is being sold in a store in a country, then customers should be able to expect for the product to be useable in that country. How the hell can companies get away with "selling" a product or service to customers they have beforehand decided they will not provide with said product or service? That has nothing to do anymore with GFWL's (lack of) quality as a software or service though. If it was sold to you ina  country, you should not need to check for a disclaimer on the box whether you can use it in that country.

But hey, at least you are laughing.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I believe you could install most GFWL games to an offline profile even in non-supported countries, though they should certainly have some sort of warning/ instruction if selling in an unsupported one. It'd still suck that the online stuff didn't work of course, but from what I've heard that happened fairly frequently even if your country was theoretically supported.

Stuck the rest of the reply into steam rox/ sux because why not.

It'd still suck that the online stuff didn't work of course, but from what I've heard that happened fairly frequently even if your country was theoretically supported.

I've never been able to get it to work online, and I'm in the US.  But I'm not much invested in multiplayer gaming, so I'm happy enough having it log in via an offline profile.  Just don't let GFWL update itself, because it won't read the previous version's gamesaves; you'll end up starting over.

It'd still suck that the online stuff didn't work of course, but from what I've heard that happened fairly frequently even if your country was theoretically supported.

I've never been able to get it to work online, and I'm in the US. 

No you must be joking, honestly how hard did you try to get it working?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

One has to wonder how much all this brown nosing has cost Take Two. These aren't even reviews anymore. The game is really fun, to be sure (from what I've played), but it's nowhere near warranting all the verbal fellatio it gets.

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

It sure works, no question about it. And good for Rockstar.

It is kind of tragicomic to read the journos making clowns out of themselves (yet again). So I guess it's a plus that way too.

Edited by Undecaf

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Gamespot actually makes a point of saying that while the game play is great and a shining step forward for open world games, there are problems with characters not being coherent, and how so many story issues crop up that seem to step over how they'd been behaving earlier. Also, noting the extreme misogyny of the entire thing that almost seems to be taking it to silly levels to make a point, but in a manner then ends up glorifying it rather then pointing out how crappy it is.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Gamespot actually makes a point of saying that while the game play is great and a shining step forward for open world games, there are problems with characters not being coherent, and how so many story issues crop up that seem to step over how they'd been behaving earlier. Also, noting the extreme misogyny of the entire thing that almost seems to be taking it to silly levels to make a point, but in a manner then ends up glorifying it rather then pointing out how crappy it is.

Honestly I wouldn't pay much attention to the misogyny comments made by gamespot.

The reviewer is not free from bias herself.

GTA5 has bigger problems than it's treatment of women.

I'm biased towards anyone accusing a game of being misogynistic specially GTA, its kind like saying that water is wet. But feminists (they should really come up with a better term to split the crazy ones from the rest) still believe that if you nag about something for long enough a man will come and fix it. Girrrlll power!

• Like 4
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I haven't been following. Isn't Steambox just a simplified PC in small box you can put next to your TV?

Yes, it allows you to play Steam  games on your TV

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

GTA is a game about criminals, isn't it? Hoodlums, gangsters, thieves, pimps?

In my experience these groups don't have HR officers or equal opportunities policies. Jesus, when will the PC gaming Taleban STFU?

Edit: PC as in PC. Not PC. You know what I mean.

Edited by Monte Carlo
  • Like 4

sonsofgygax.JPG

In my experience these groups don't have HR officers or equal opportunities policies. Jesus, when will the PC gaming Taleban STFU?

Monte I'm not sure why you seem to be getting so upset? The reviewer still gave the game 9/10 and its the Editors Choice for September. She is not saying "don't play the game". All she is saying  GTA V presents women in one dimensional light and she is probably right

I do think the word misogyny is a bit harsh, I would say the game is sexist on certain levels. But not enough where I won't play it.

John Milton 

Monte I'm not sure why you seem to be getting so upset? The reviewer still gave the game 9/10 and its the Editors Choice for September. She is not saying "don't play the game". All she is saying  GTA V presents women in one dimensional light and she is probably right

I do think the word misogyny is a bit harsh, I would say the game is sexist on certain levels. But not enough where I won't play it.

That just makes it even more hypocritical.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I'm not with you, what is hypocritical ?

John Milton 

I'm not with you, what is hypocritical ?

Trendily complaining about misogyny in games and then, in one's grade, giving it the real value, ie. zero.

I knew I left that a bit too vague...

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Can we call she an it? I feel that it is somewhere between a man and a woman, which is probably why it felt the need to give its biased opinion (all opinions are biased, btw) instead of just reporting. I get that we need archaeologists to recover the lost manual on how to be a good journalist, but gaming journalism feels more like blogs that comment on games.

Also, feminist are approaching the issue of women in gaming entirely wrong. If their stance was that they want more games geared towards a female audience instead of wanting to turn boy's games into women's, they'd probably face less animosity. 

• Like 2
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif