Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update #63: Stronghold!

Stronghold Project Eternity Tim Cain Systems Design Programming Update

• Please log in to reply
455 replies to this topic

Nonek

Nonek

Not of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3040 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Got to ask, will there be an escape tunnel in the Stronghold? Just in case it falls and needs liberating, or we need to get back in without alerting the besiegers.

I assume the messages to the protagonist could be sent instantaneously by a Cipher, carried on the arcane currents by a Wizard, whispered on the wind by a Druid etcetera.

• Lysen, Naurgalen, Tsuga C and 1 other like this

KaineParker

KaineParker

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3021 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
I've always wanted to play a RPG where the approaching horde would fall at the superior walls of the stronghold instead of being scripted into breaking through. Ballista and cannons please.

Suen

Suen

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 399 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The stronghold sounds exciting!

My guess is that repealing the attacks will affect prestige/security, but could participating to the defense also offer the chance to obtain something unique? A direct reward to make you say "wow, I'm glad I interrupted that quest for this".
It doesn't need to be equipment, even a token for extra guards in a future attack, a nickname by a certain faction, a tip for a quest.

And a request: please, no magic psychic reports "you are attacked!" while I'm 8 floors underground in a dungeon. 

• cdx, Osvir, Doppelschwert and 1 other like this

Tuckey

Tuckey

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • Steam:Rumar
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I like what Obsidian are doing with the stronghold.

- In particular using prisoners for leverage. I'm getting a strong castles 2 vibe which I loved for all its difficult decisions.

- The ability to play like a lord sounds cool. I'd imagine you have to weigh up decisions carefully. For instance whether or not the peasants will riot, refuse to pay their taxes, storm the castle if you are a lord of low prestige? Sounds like their is plenty of scope for complexity which I like.

- I imagine companions could also pick up a rare item or two on their adventures.

- Could we then entertain visiting guests with a feast...or a red wedding if they're particularly despised.

I have a small suggestion. Let us upgrade messengers into something like a magic seeing stone (like from lotr). Or that crystall ball from Return to Zork. Imagine that messenger traversing 10 dungeon levels to pass us a message on what is happening at the stronghold. He/She would be lucky to live let alone pass on a message. The crystal ball thing is an upgrade that you can acquire later on which saves you on running costs for your keep and gives you more time to respond to an event given that the message is instantaneous.

• milczyciel likes this

pruneytoes

pruneytoes

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer

You will be offered the stronghold early in the game, before you finish Act 1.

Does this mean that we will just be given the stronghold at some point instead of actually having to do something to earn it? (Other than just following the main quest)

• Wirdjos likes this

Inyourprime

Inyourprime

Coach of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Good stuff -- I really enjoyed this update.

Edited by Inyourprime, 03 September 2013 - 04:20 PM.

hydrogyrum

hydrogyrum

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts

I hope it can be destroyed and trashed, and the inhabitants killed. I'm tired of large publishers treating me like a moron with pre-scripted events and fake choices.

barmaglo

barmaglo

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
...skip...

So, while I generally like the stronghold design, the theme sounds like you have to play a good guy if you want a useful stronghold.

+1.

I want stronghold of evil lord.

• silvercross, cyberarmy and Malekith like this

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 7516 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock
  • PSN Portable ID:Unfrozen_Keyrock

You will be offered the stronghold early in the game, before you finish Act 1.

Does this mean that we will just be given the stronghold at some point instead of actually having to do something to earn it? (Other than just following the main quest)

It would be cool if there were several paths to acquiring the stronghold:

* Sneak in, murder the inhabitants

* Storm it, take it by force

* Earn it through deeds of valor

* Use trickery/deception/espionage to force its former occupants to leave

Obviously, I just pulled those out of my behind just for sake of example.

lemonrev

lemonrev

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

hey, i dont really read whats going on but that newest kickstarter email that was sent out about this just wow.

Depending on how you get the castle i think all depends on how much of say a leader and controler over your land.

I would like to see a system also where you can go out and like kill all the bad mobs from around your land and pick up good people who either fear you or just want to follow you and i dont mean companions, I mean something like the people who pay taxes and stuff so you help clear the lands before you enter sometype of status so you earn the right to the castle. Then you can add to the castle as well as upgrade the rugged and warn down castle to better inprove it.

The castle Could also become The common place for law As you say you have a Prison Section which as we all know is normally down below the castle but why not do modern day style stuff and if you get to a over crowed prison you could build one off your present castle to take care of prisoners and the like to help either your empire or your fighting squads and say make the bad guys into good people by helping make weapons ?.

If your going to put us the player in a in - out context castle controler i think you need to consider if you have to be at the castle to look over and upgrade it while you are there or even while you are out of your castle.

Also the warning system of a incomming battle Im wondering if that system will take a system of if you know your enemy first so you know that like in old times where your enemy is up to a point and then if your enemy looks like he / she is pepareing for battle by building defences around there area then you could choose to either go out and defeat them or build up your own and rally the people to join the army so that they can help battle the enemy if he is well known to be a real bad ass ?.

so a lot to think about i belive can go into this. but appart from knowing all of or abour your castle if your castle is destroyed is that game over ?. OR is that where you get pushed back to a position where you have to regain control ie fight hords or if not hords but boss like creatures to overcome the beseiged castle ?.

This sounds like a interesting concept and i think will get a hell of a lot of play out a game that spits out random events that you can choose to be bad or good at soemthing anytime you wish :p.

wanderon

wanderon

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1274 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

It just gets better and better! :thumbsup:

Gumbercules

Gumbercules

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 234 posts

Great update! Probably one of the meatiest and most interesting in quite some time.

You say that the stronghold will be subject to attacks, but I'm wondering about the maximum scope and scale for an attack. Will there be the possibility of a full-scale siege, either as a random or procedural event or as a part of the main story? The siege in Neverwinter Nights 2 was a great idea, but I guess the technology level of the time didn't allow it to feel as epic as it should. This would be a great time to produce a properly atmospheric siege with armies clashing in the background, even if the actual gameplay remains within the scope of the rest of the game.

• SophosTheWise and milczyciel like this

khango

khango

In Memory of Genghis Khan

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

This is my new favorite update.

Arsene Lupin

Arsene Lupin

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • Steam:Arsene-Lupin
  • PSN Portable ID:Mwulf
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The email update made the mistake of asking me what I think.

I think it sounds too good to be true.

I'm literally incredulous.

I don't know, maybe it's because we haven't seen a real vertical slice of the game yet. Instead, all we're seeing and learning about are different parts--the mechanics of X, the features of Y, the environment for area A, the lore for setting B, etc., etc. 

And all of those parts look really, really good.

But they're disparate parts, and I have a hard time believing they could fit into a fully cohesive game.

So here's what I think: I really hope you can pull this game off. I really, desperately hope so. This is the kind of game the Western RPG genre desparately needs. Even if the game only realizes one tenth of its potential, it will be astonishing.

• Wirdjos, ultimis and milczyciel like this

JWestfall

JWestfall

Beer Taster of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 160 posts

Sounds sweet, love it.  It would be superb (but I concede rather a lofty goal) if the upgrades led to various "trees" of customization, each developing into a different theme of sorts.  Evil overlord's castle, crusader's keep, sorcerer's stronghold, etc.

But really, I just want my stronghold to look like the one in the picture, complete with lightning.

• Malekith likes this

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Suggestion: The ability to gather not-particularly-valuable/sellable weapons and equipment to your stronghold to be melted down by your smithy(ies) and used to produce upgrades/repairs (iron gate and/or reinforced portcullis, instead of a simpler gate; defensive cannons/anti-siege armaments; invention-type technological/mechanical improvements to things, such as a drawbridge, crank elevator, etc.). Or, maybe it even just gets used by your personnel and/or militia (if the walls are breached) to increase security/defense during an attack or other negative events.

It would be great if your stronghold prompted more practical uses for some stuff that typically becomes "junk" in most games due to its only real use being sell-value, and its sell-value being relatively low.
  • curryinahurry, cdx, Wirdjos and 4 others like this

ManifestedISO

ManifestedISO

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1776 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

An evil-lord castle made of obsidian sounds pretty good.  ;)

• ultimis, Malekith and Lephys like this

SophosTheWise

SophosTheWise

Weird Bard of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Caedryan
  • Xbox Gamertag:Sophos The Wise

Love the update, I hope everything will be executed well. Because if those features are not implemented right, they could possibly be annoying.

Arising problems:

- How important is the Stronghold really? Because I would hate to see it becoming just a "buff and resupply"-place.

- How much time will we spend there? Because if it's not somehow embedded into the story, I see it becoming a problem later when you advance in the story and, for instance, never go back there. What would you do with pop-ups every ten minutes that tell me of things going on there?

- Attacks on the Stronghold are awesome, but how does the system behind it work? Is it just random? Because if it is, I'm pissed of. I want attacks to be meaningful and not just attacks. Of course there are robbers, but what robbers are actually courageous enough to attack a Stronghold full of heroes that could kill a robber with the blink of an eye? Also random attacks suck anyways, that has been proven in State of Decay. It's all just very gamey. But I think Obsidian can handle that well.

Potentials:

- Arriving guests with cool quests

- Stronghold as a part of the story in some way

- Meaningful interaction with the world, interaction that matters

- Maybe some political decisions to make 

- Having a trophy room with dragon skulls, helmets of brutal villains etc.

- Torture devices for the dungeon, see Inquisitor, especially for evil characters. Also possibility of ransoming captured foes. 

- not too RTS-y. 

• the proctophantasmist, ultimis, Malekith and 1 other like this

Failedlegend

Failedlegend

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 69 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Failed Legend

My god, I was gonna start a little check list saying th various things this does right, but wow that would pretty much just be rewriting what has alkready been written. This sounds awesome at its current stage, hell I even WANT to expereince the "bad" events just to see what happens/\

Few Ideas though:

- Allow us to refight any captured named NPCs in an arena like battle like BGEE has...no rewards of course just fun to refight previous boss battles especially with different characters

- Give the option to have idle adventutrers increase security rating since well their heroes, at the stronghold :D (as opposed to questing, etc. for loot and whatnot)

Again though I'm salivating over this game :D

Norstaera

Norstaera

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

It sounds like a lot of fun. I like the idea of companions doing their own adentures.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Stronghold, Project Eternity, Tim Cain, Systems Design, Programming, Update

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users