Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update #63: Stronghold!

Stronghold Project Eternity Tim Cain Systems Design Programming Update

• Please log in to reply
455 replies to this topic

Aerinus

Aerinus

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts

I see  something like this in Nwn2  and i really like the idea to have a stronghold for my adventure. seriously i want this game now!!!!  ;)

Loarth

Loarth

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

Indeed , the stronghold was my original draw , I love building a central adventuring hub .

BLnoT

BLnoT

Spacefiller of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I hope that the stronghold will be constantly added with  new content. New quests / events / builds would be a great way to spend time away from the main story. So much room for growth being in charge if a Stronghold. I even imagine venturing out into the wild, clearing it of creatures to set up steadings / mills / outposts .  An Underground fissure or sinkhole  opening from the caslte basement, perhaps when renovating. Would provide a perfect underground quest line. The endless possibilities.

• swordofthesith and Aerinus like this

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
^ I do hope that it's only optional in the sense that you either decide to manage it or don't. I hate when something's SO optional that it doesn't matter at all what you do with it. "I'm going to manage the stronghold, but then I'm not going to take care of it or fend off attacks at all, yet NO CONSEQUENCES OCCUR! 8D!"

I don't see the point in the "Do it" option if it doesn't affect anything. Now, the "just don't even choose to own/manage it" option might not really affect much (other than that you simply miss out on the things you could've done), but, once you've chosen to interact with it, it should matter.

Also, BLnoT, your signature is splendid! ^_^
  • Silent Winter and swordofthesith like this

lightblade75

lightblade75

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

What kind of building will the stronghold be?

Silent Winter

Silent Winter

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1594 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

^Check out the wiki page for known info and pictures:

http://pillarsofeter....com/Stronghold

Edit: also a 'before/after' pic reposted in this post:

http://forums.obsidi...hold/?p=1400651

Edited by Silent Winter, 19 November 2014 - 08:29 PM.

HetMasteen

HetMasteen

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

This sounds amazing. Exactly what you want to add some extra meat to the core gameplay.

Tseuro

Tseuro

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 9 posts

Don't tempt me Fro...BAdler!

Seriously amazed by this. Something that not even DAI could muster. Pfft. Bring it on!

Mazisky

Mazisky

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 449 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Seeing the last stream, the stronghold environment (main keep, manor, outside houses, etc) looks awesome and i really, really love it.

I'm just worried about a thing:

Will the scenario get populated a bit with game progression?  'Cause all that big space and stuff feel empty.

Would be nice to see people patrolling and populating the environment as the game goes on 

Aerinus

Aerinus

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts

I  like the stronghold but i find it can be really better...... For first look that is ok but i would like a little bit more....Maybe  change the 8 mercenaries for trainer of troops, officer, sergent, recruiter,  farmer, doctor, black Smith ...  Organise patrol in the land and on the road, help village for win bonus prestige/security.

For resume: Be more implicated in my land and with my milician or army each time i go to my stronghold. No need to do mission myself, just give order and receive result by my administrator.

Maybe the situation can evolve in each expansion of the game...

bonarbill

bonarbill

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 317 posts

I  like the stronghold but i find it can be really better...... For first look that is ok but i would like a little bit more....Maybe  change the 8 mercenaries for trainer of troops, officer, sergent, recruiter,  farmer, doctor, black Smith ...  Organise patrol in the land and on the road, help village for win bonus prestige/security.

For resume: Be more implicated in my land and with my milician or army each time i go to my stronghold. No need to do mission myself, just give order and receive result by my administrator.

The stronghold is a disappointment, and it's pretty obvious they didn't pay much attention to it during development.  All they had to do was copy NWN2's keep, or even add a few meaningful quests like the ones you got in BG2's strongholds.

Aerinus

Aerinus

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts

The stronghold is a disappointment, and it's pretty obvious they didn't pay much attention to it during development.  All they had to do was copy NWN2's keep, or even add a few meaningful quests like the ones you got in BG2's strongholds.

That true, NWN2 stronghold are 100 times more fun, but i can see  new good idea in this game.

Aerinus

Aerinus

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts

I admit in PoE the stronghold is more a farm with 1 tower.

Racker

Racker

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Well it's more of a side-mission, unlike the Keep in NWN2 (underrated game imo, btw) which figured prominently in the main storyline.  Still, I kept expecting something to happen with it, especially after finishing the dungeons below it, but it never really went anywhere. 

• swordofthesith likes this

Aerinus

Aerinus

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts

Maybe if he would been presented the stronghold like a small domain with 1 wood tower, no keep and the dungeon Under the chapel , the players would have receive that better.  

Aerinus

Aerinus

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts

I hope for the next (expansion or PoE2), your base be there again but you will have to upgrade them to real stronghold, receive a castle this time or take  Readric castle. ^^

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Stronghold, Project Eternity, Tim Cain, Systems Design, Programming, Update

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users