Somewhere along the way, and I'm not entirely sure where or when, I got old and my eyesight went into the bin.  That said, I tend to notice UI's that pay attention to readable fonts, or at least let me scale them in the settings.  

There tends to be a lot of reading in games like this, and I hope a clear and scalable typeface is in the plans.

• Like 1

Many fans, including me, have brought up similar points at several occasions, it's good to have a dedicated thread!

I would love to see:

• Scale-able font sizes (to make sure text remains readable on all kinds of screens/resolutions). At least one generously sized text option.
  • A solid choice of font family, one that contains all the fonts weights, styles, ligatures, and punctuation that may be required in a story-driven RPG. On choosing a typeface for screen use. On choosing type in general.
  • A straight forward combat log, with well thought out coloration (green name tags for allies, red for enemies, blue for neutral, gold for interactive NPCs?).
  • Good typographic practices based on context, using either manuscript-like or hardcover novel-like typesetting.

Example action/combat log I put together during discussions in the Update #62 thread:

As you make your way through the debris, the smell of rotten flesh makes you cringe.

Wicht: Mommy?
Wicht: attacks Forton
PAUSED
Cadegund: Yes?
Cadegund: I shall rip your limbs off!
Cadegund: attacks Wicht
Aloth: Sire?
Aloth: Any time.
Aloth: casts Lightning
UNPAUSED
Wicht: misses Forton (attack roll: 4 + 2 = 6)
Cadegund: hits Wicht for 12 stamina and 3 health (attack roll: 8 + 2 = 10)
Aloth: hits Wicht for 16 stamina and 4 health.
Aloth: hits Forton for 22 stamina and 5 health.
Wicht is unconscious.
Forton: Ugh
Forton is unconscious.
Cadegund: hits Wicht for 4 stamina and 1 health (attack roll: 12 + 2 = 14)
Wicht dies.
Aloth: What is it now?
Aloth: Sure.
Aloth: casts Restore Stamina
Forton gains 6 stamina.

Slime: attacks Aloth
Slime: hits Aloth for 4 stamina and 1 health (attack roll: 10 + 2 = 12 success)
Aloth is poisoned.
Aloth loses 1 stamina (poison).

The stench of spilled ale, rotting hay, and firewood assaults your senses as you enter the inn.

Aloth: drinks Acid Antidote (no effect).
Aloth: drinks Poison Antidote (cures poison). 
Edair: Huh?
Edair: Sure thing!

Osmaer: The innkeeper digs inside a mug with a dirty rag before raising his thick eyebrows to your level. “Welcome! Welcome! Please, make yourself comfortable, traveler.”

Osmaer: “Food's hot and my rooms keep cool. Holler whenever you need, I always got time to spare these days.” A strange silvery tooth appears behind his fat, shiny smile.

Thunder strikes in the distance as you consider your options.

Cadegund: We should rest until the storm passes.

Edair: “We're in a hurry. We better be on our way soon.

Osmaer: “How can I help ya?

1. “I have questions about the area.”
   2. “I want to order food and drinks.”
   3. “Let's see what rooms you have.”
   4. “Goodbye.”

This log doesn't cover all possible scenarios, but quite a few of them. If it would work for Project Eternity is down to how they would like to tell their story!

For reference, the official WiP dialogue window from Update #62:

pe-conversation-inn.jpg

Edited by mstark
  • Like 1
"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"

Would be nice to get input from other Unity developers, which I'm not. Josh said NGUI precluded use of dynamic fonts, but there is support for that in Unity, and who knows, the "New GUI" system integrated with Unity might ship at some point. Watch the Unity 13 Keynote at 1:11:30 for a small demo. I would assume it allows for fully scalable fonts. It might be too late in the development of Project Eternity to re-do the GUI with this system when it ships, but I'm just throwing that out there.

Edited by Zeckul
  • Like 1

Definitely would be up for adjustable font/text size, as my eyes are also older than they used to be.

But I still don't like too much space between lines. I find it distracting if I feel like every sentence (in a long sequence of such) is a lone island separated by oodles of ocean. eg, too much "white space" is annoying.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I have a 22" 16:10 (55cm diagonal) and using 1680x1050 resolution when i sit about 60cm in front of it. Since 2012 i have a lot problems with new games when reading cause when using my native resolution the text is a lot to small. So i have to jump back to a lesser resolution wich isnt good cause it looks different.

I would be very happy if we could scale font size in PE.

This is my first post here, but I've been lurking around here for quite a while.

I also would very much like, scaleable fonts, and or UI! My eyes aren't that bad but I sit sorta far away from my 27 inch 1080 screen.... About 4 to 5 feet away.  Please keep up the great work and send a GANBARE!!!! From Japan, for the team please!

• 3 weeks later...

In a game where text is important, special attention should be given to said text.

Typography and font choices are very critical. I expect at the very least to have a great font, incredibly readable, with the option of scaling, anti-aliased, that handle ligatures, smart kerning, and so on.

• 5 months later...

I hope to see not only scalable fonts but all aspects of UI scalable, and ideally movable as well.

Not looking too likely since they've made it clear they're running with a skeuomorphic GUI. File me in camp pro-skeuomorph.

In other news, I'm glad to see that as the proud owner of a set of declining eyes, I'll still be able to enjoy PoE.

Edit: No pun intended.

Edited by Kjaamor

I hope to see not only scalable fonts but all aspects of UI scalable, and ideally movable as well.

Not looking too likely since they've made it clear they're running with a skeuomorphic GUI. File me in camp pro-skeuomorph.

In other news, I'm glad to see that as the proud owner of a set of declining eyes, I'll still be able to enjoy PoE.

Edit: No pun intended.

Why would a skeuomorphic GUI mean that all aspects of the UI couldn't be scalable or movable?

Personally I'm more than alright with a skeuomorph GUI, unless it means I can't scale it up/down or move it up/down/right/left as I please to best fit my preferred resolution on my monitor and my sadly ever slowing increasing myopia.

The very reason I wish to be able to do this is to make playing easier on the eyes, and more efficient for the way I prefer to play the game. So I'm with you on wanting a UI that someone with declining eyes can use as well.

ie: Minimap or Character Sheet a little too small on your screen for your liking? Just scale it up, and move it somewhere it's easier for you to see.

The UI is extremely important to the experience, and giving players options I think would be ideal, as that way pretty much everyone can be happy. Really, it blows my mind how many games don't allow for this these days, as well as have really bad UIs at many resolutions.

Edited by Valsuelm

Ligature support usually requires OpenType, but our fonts are looking a lot better these days.  I don't want to promise any specific features, but we've made scaling, smoothing, and kerning a priority.  I think you will like the results.

I know this is kind of off topic, but what about copy-editing? Is there going to be any on PoE's game text, to complement the beauty of the font? :)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

• 2 months later...

As long as the font is clear and not jagged at 4k Resolution, I'll be happy. I hope that theres AA for the lettering/fonts in the game. That's basic , right ?

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

Now we know what's going on...

• 10 months later...