Someting just hit my brain some question about our stronghold

Maybe it would be called fluff, but I like to think of it as immersion. If everyone stands around statically, it takes away from the game. People percieve more than they realize. If no one moves around that can be an exceptable limitation but in the back of your mind you know that it's poor design.

If they stand around doing nothing I begin to feel that I'm not playing a game with characters. At some level they have to attempt to mimic being people or else you won't enjoy any of the game. No ammount of extra quests will compensate for an environment where you interact with signposts. :(

• Like 1

Well i've said it before and i'll say it again, Ultima 7 made the most believable of npc's, who worked, went to the pub or church, went home to sleep or conducted secret dalliances etcetera. This was twenty years ago with a few megabytes (if that) of information, surely we can't have regressed so far that this is beyond the scope of modern games? One would think it would be par for the course two decades later.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 5

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

well a reputation system could keep track of events in the game a rather complex reputation system in fallout new Vegas you could have reputation all over ok world is rather small for some. i became high lvl pretty fast 2 things play in to this, also the more end game content there is the better like you not juts fulfilling 1 main story you are just a hero or a evil baron

but prestige have a say

Well i've said it before and i'll say it again, Ultima 7 made the most believable of npc's, who worked, went to the pub or church, went home to sleep or conducted secret dalliances etcetera. This was twenty years ago with a few megabytes (if that) of information, surely we can't have regressed so far that this is beyond the scope of modern games? One would think it would be par for the course two decades later.

. You seem to be missing my point entirely while proving it at the same time. I'm saying its not worth putting in the builders because of all of the additional work that would be needed in order to satisfy your expectations of them.

You seem to be missing my point entirely while proving it at the same time. I'm saying its not worth putting in the builders because of all of the additional work that would be needed in order to satisfy your expectations of them.

NWN2 had a set of maybe 50 animations that pretty much covered the gamut of non-combat actions. Of the possibilities, there's perhaps a dozen that are more useful for artisan-type motions; things like hammering, sawing, painting, reaching out to grab something, scratching the head, and so forth. It shouldn't be too difficult to create a set of common animations that can bring a scene to life. Most of the work is then in coding the NPC behaviors, movement, the placement of objects they'll interact with, and playing the right sounds. In a construction scene, the same activities can mostly be replicated to different positions as time passes.

Anyway, the key factor is probably the amount of re-use you get from the work. Specific, unique animations probably wouldn't be worth the development cost; animations you can use in any crafting/labor scene most likely would.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I don't know.. if they decided they can make a mega epic 15 level dungeon (isn't it a shame that the actual number of levels isn't a surprise for the player..) coupled with two huge cities and a whole wide world* around it in 1,5 years, then a few extra animations won't be a problem. Attack animations, of course.

*I hope, I really do, the number of outdoor areas and the scope of the world won't get shrunk down because of all the epic concentrated content.

Take 6 more months Obsidian, I won't mind.

And sorry for hijacking the thread, okkoko. Well..  *hugs okkoko* :)

• Like 1

Obsidian will come to invest their own money into this project to finalize it.

And we will never hear about it officially.

4,16 millions after you strip the fees and such is not enough for such an ambitious project.

So if I get my polished Baldur's Gate clone done just right I can live without any stronghold upgrade animation.

After my realization that White March has the same XP reward problem, I don't even have the drive to launch game anymore because I hated so much reaching Twin Elms with a level cap in vanilla PoE that I don't wish to relive that experience.

They were talking about only having single attack animations for all weapon types because they likely would not have the time or resources for more.

Right. I hope things have changed in the meantime because watching a single auto-attack animation being executed by your character 100% of the time is.. I aborted the image in my mind. :D Ok, it would not be the end of the world, but it would be boooring.

All they did say is that new animations have prority over multiple attack animations.(See quote below) Do you think they should priorize multiple attack animation over more monsters/weapons/spells/abillities?

Recently in the forums it sounded like the animators had their hands tied due to design decisions 4 combat animations. I'm worried combat is gonna be so simplistic & tedious & feel like grinding & not fun. Can u explain ur vision 4 how combat should flow?

The only way their hands are tied is logistically, i.e. they have a lot to do to support the breadth of what we want the characters to do in game. New actions have to be prioritized over variants of extant animations or we'll be sacrificing player functionality for aesthetic variation. I'm pretty confident we'll wind up with multiple standard attacks per weapon, but they still have to be prioritized behind new actions.

Take 6 more months Obsidian, I won't mind.

The main problem with releasing the game later, is that it would cost more money to develop.

well i cant im *Dream if even i try seer an ate-mp of doing so whyle it my dream of soemting done good real crazy but behaves also a like well lets just say . what would you do if you had one opsion in the game with many  to say the least one other thing im a vegitarian well that said lets contenu events ermm ups now i lost it again :banghead:

I like your new avatar okkoko, but could you rephrase this so I actually understand what you are saying?

It's like hes taking random passages from Alice in Wonderland in Czech, translating them in babelfish to Urdu and then back to English.

Edited by Gyges
  • Like 3

Do you think they should priorize multiple attack animation over more monsters/weapons/spells/abillities?

It's not an or/or sort of thing.

It would be preferable to have a bit of variety in auto-attack animations and a decent variety of monsters and spells. Anyway, they can reuse and slightly rework spell animations (recolor, add a new effect etc.) and the same is true for monsters.

I wouldn't care about a few additional monster animations if I have to endure the same attack animation throughout the entire game.