It's called Eternity right? The "Project" part is just it's development name?

That's just the project name. We have no idea what title the finished game will actually have. It might be Eternity. It might be something completely unrelated.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

If you want immersion, I suggest you jump in a pool.

• Like 10

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

:acidarrow:

• Like 2

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

:acidarrow:

Attack Roll (1 = critical miss)

Troll moves to melee range

AC Penalty (+4) for having ranged weapon equipped

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

As others have said, Project Eternity is just the project title, we actually don't know what the game will be called.  It could be anything, like Master Spaffington's Spaffingly Spiffy Advetnures into Spaffing on People's Faces with Spaff.  Which would be awesome.

• Like 2

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Yeah, Project Eternity's the placeholder title. Basically, they had to announce the game before much of anything had been done on it, so they had to give it some arbitrary title to use in the pitch. Since there was no story at that time, they didn't want to commit to a permanent title and went with "Project Eternity" as a callback to the Infinity Engine that inspired it. They will presumably announce the final title eventually, like how Double Fine eventually decided to call "Double Fine Adventure" "Broken Age".

Edited by eimatshya

... an atrocity totally taking out any immersion ...

This is killing muh immershun, no that is killing muh immershun...

This word has been so abused and overused that I cannot help myself but loathe any person a tiny bit more when they try and justify their views by saying "x ruins my immersion".

• Like 1

Wow, I didn't realize that the title of the game has an impact on player immersion... and if the title does, why not other meta-game aspects? "The price of this game is really breaking my immersion right now!"

I agree.  If the game doesn't come packaged with a full refund of my kickstarter pledge and all the goodies I paid for my immersion will be decimated!

:p

I've looked at "Project Eternity" with several perspectives:

Out-of-Game perspective:

- Project Eternity the Kickstarter Project/Campaign
- Project Eternity, the Out of Game Quest (Obsidian Company Quest), Man wanting to achieve everlasting life. Fame, glory, legend. Project Eternity (the Game) might be a mark in video game history, a cult classic. Who over at Obsidian doesn't want to leave a nice footprint in the Earth? :)
- Project Eternity, the tribute to the Infinity Engine

Quest Related, in-game:
- Project Eternity, a God Story/Quest, God's who work towards a greater goal, "Fate" or something other superstitious to achieve a platonic "Eternity". Or an Evil God that knows that everything that has a Beginning also has an End and it's own End is coming and thus creates "Project Eternity".
- Project Eternity, the In-Game Quest/Story, man wanting to achieve everlasting life. Akilles chose (according to the mythology) to stay in Troy, even though he knew it would be death of him. But hey, everyone knows who Akilles is right?
- Animat Factories, devices to prolong the life of a Soul (in a sense), someone had to start building the machines (the ancient civilization of the World?). What would they call their project, and for what reason would they build these machines? Eternity?

With all the above said by me, I agree with what many others say in this thread. Project Eternity is thus far a "Placeholder". But I still think that "PE" has a really nice ring to it, in the same vein as the classical shorts BG, IWD, PST.

Thus, I really think that Obsidian "should" work with "PE" as a title, something that starts with a "P" for a first word and "E" for a second word.

Title-Help (Obsidian might have their own tools/ideas for how to get titles and stuff but I thought of just to share this for inspiration/influence or whatever~ also because I think it's a lil bit fun :p):
Something I myself think is pretty fun to do when I try to write titles, character names and events for my own story is to go on pages like this and see if there are "synonyms" that pretty much say the same thing but with a cooler sounding word that rolls on the tongue.

Thesaurus and Merriam-Webster:

1. http://thesaurus.com/browse/project

2. http://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/project[noun]

3. http://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/project[verb]

4. http://thesaurus.com/browse/eternity

5. http://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus/eternity

Acronym sites are fun too :p
http://acronymcreator.net/ace.py

roPEY - Project EternitY

Who goes by Rope Kid on Something Awful? :p

Finally, anagrams:
http://www.anagrammer.com/anagrammer/

Did you know that "Eternity" is an anagram of "Tiny Tree" for instance!?!? :o

Like I said, brilliant stuff ;D

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 3

Have you considered any theories for the event "Project" is actually a verb, Osvir?  :dancing:

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 4

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Not yet, but I like how you're thinking  :thumbsup:

How does one project "eternity"? I bring up the Akilles example again, talking about the idea of how to become "immortal" (like Akilles) is one way to project an idea of how to become eternal... but it's still not quite "projecting" eternity physically, it's just a "how to" idea... but to project "Eternity" or "Immortality" in it's pure essence of meaning, physically? I'm having trouble theorizing how one would be able to do such a thing in a fantastical and imaginative sense.

But... maybe... if a God could grant someone else immortality or Godhood somehow... that would be kind of like "projecting" Eternity onto someone else?

That's in a "in-game" sense.

For an out-of-game sense.

This forum. We are projecting our ideas for what we'd like to see and what we envision PE, as a game, both could become and what we want it to become.

"Project Eternity" could be seen as "Talk about this game we want to name Eternity. What do you envision it could be? What do you want it to be? What kinds of ideas do you have to bring to the table?" etc. etc.

If "Project" is a verb, then Eternity is (I believe) no doubt the title of the game. A.k.a. in short "Envision Eternity" and the longer version "Envision what the game 'Eternity' could be like".

But I stand my ground, PE is a great "Acronym" or "Signature Initials". Simply having it as E sounds almost too short. Though, they could always go with "EY" (Ey, sup yo got flo' bro?) or "ET" (but I guess that one is kind of copyrighted)  :p

• Like 3

It's Project Placeholder Here This Page Intentionally Left Blank.

Project Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

. Well I was involved anyway. The dude who can't dance. 

Not to hijack a (obviously troll) thread, but I do agree the titles are important. Used well, they appropriately manage expectations and emphasize the theme of a work, and this is important. Title's like 'Remember Me,' 'Mass Effect,' and 'Deus Ex' go a long way.

They definitely can help, but I don't find them to be particularly important either. I had no prior experience to the forgotten realms setting before playing Baldur's Gate, so the title was not at all evocative or informative for me. I got the game because the pictures and description on the back of the box made it sound cool (at the time I was super into Tolkien, Warcraft, and the Elder Scrolls and Fallout had got me hooked on CRPGs, so BG sounded like the perfect game for me).

Honestly, if the game's solid, it could be called The Chronicles of TurdSquiggle, and I'd do little more than raise an ever-questioning eyebrow at Obsidian's game-naming judgement.

Now... if the main city in the game (or the realm) was called TurdSquiggle, and was mentioned through the narrative, that would probably affect my immersion. But, just the name? I would just guess someone lost a bet. :)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

There is no way that the actual retail game name will be "Project Eternity" correct? It will just be called Eternity?

Because having the word project in a game title sounds absolutely disgusting and would be a HUUUUUUUGE turnoff, an atrocity totally taking out any immersion before the game even STARTS!

No, it's like Duke Nukem Forever. Except that's it's going to take longer to release. A lot longer.

It's also a lot like Snake, except that the snake is going around in an infinite loop, eating itself.

Exile in Torment

QblGc0a.png

i hope it's called Lego: Project. And i hope they change the models to look more like lego blocks. i miss my childhood.

Edited by Hormalakh
  • Like 1

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

Do you know, I was going to give this dude a C+ (which is rare) but now I think I'm going to go for a B. I'm getting soft in my dotage, and skilfully written trollage like this is rarer and rarer nowadays.

Congrats, flaming-fist-in-capitals-dude. I salute you.

Edited by Monte Carlo
  • Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

I think that it is more posiible than ever, that the final game will be called simply "Eternity"... check the title at the bottom of this map (ąfter following the link, click on the picture to enlarge). See? No "Project". Besides, this title is already too damn good associated with the game, and is good.

http://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2013/06/map-of-project-eternity.html - CLICK MEEEEE!

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...