I Want Real Treasure in the Game

What I really want in an RPG is real treasure. I'm tired of opening a treasure chest and only getting armor, weapons, gold coins, or socketable gems. What I want is rare painting to hang on a wall in my hold, faberge eggs I can set on pedestals, Crown Jewel sets that can sit behind glass cases with soldiers standing guard, rare books to add to my library in my hold, rare pottery from dead cultures, unusual fossils, etc.... Basically I want treasure like people collect and hoard in the real world. I want some of that treasure to come in sets so you feel a sense of accomplishment when you complete your set of treasure and display it in your hold.

I'm tired of finding plus one swords then selling the swork for gold coins which is then used to buy plus 2 swords.

Who is with me?

• Like 14

While I have no problem with the finding of gold-coins or the odd ruby, I like the idea of less common treasure.  A set of things to collect might be interesting.  It couldn't be overdone though (how many priceless paintings will be left in dungeons? ... then again, why do people leave magic-swords lying around?)

Finding some magic weaponry is fine, it might feel odd if the only weapons you find are of the uber-attack kind - but it has been overdone in the past, so less +1 weapons and more interesting treasure (perhaps with a dual purpose, collect v. sell) would be cool.

Having said that - every unique item needs creating, describing and scripting in game so I don't want too much dev time on easter-eggs.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

I think it would be cool to put stuff that you might want to collect in your own strong hold. Such as bookcases. All the history books in the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale games were kind of cool but was no point collecting because I didn't have my own bookcase to put them in. If I had some Bookcases in a Stronghold, I would meticulously file them using the Dewey Decimal system. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

So, collectables?

Dunno, kinda mixed feelings on that. They usually turn out pretty lame in a lot of games, and I don't quite see what it would add to PE compared to actually useful loot...

I suppose being able to decorate your stronghold is nice for those that want it, but not my cup o' tea.

EDIT: The bookcase listed above would be nice though, yes.

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Agreed on bookcases. Would be great if the stronghold, when we take it over, is fairly huge but abandoned, with an empty library/reading room that we can spend our time doing up and re-stocking.

While I don't care much for Fabergé eggs, I'd love to see display pedestals for my unused pieces of armour and weapons.

I don't think we particularly need collectibles for the sake of collectibles (usually turns out quite lame and artificial), but allowing us to effectively store the many items we collect during our adventures efficiently could go a long way! 

Edited by mstark
"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"

I used to hoard gemstones in the IE games for no other reason than I liked to imagine just having a huge vault of gems. And don't even get me started on the contents of my car boot in Fallout 2.

I certainly hope precious stones, rings and the like will make it in, and while some sort of collection or wealth representation system would be nice, I don't mind roleplaying their inclusion by just keeping them in the stronghold.

• Like 2

Agreed on bookcases. Would be great if the stronghold, when we take it over, is fairly huge but abandoned, with an empty library/reading room that we can spend our time doing up and re-stocking.

While I don't care much for Fabergé eggs, I'd love to see display pedestals for my unused pieces of armour and weapons.

I don't think we particularly need collectibles for the sake of collectibles (usually turns out quite lame and artificial), but allowing us to effectively store the many items we collect during our adventures efficiently could go a long way! 

Great idea - If not a display case, then maybe they could have a mannequin to fit the armour /weapon to (should be quite easy to include in the engine).

Would make a great use for the old armour / weapons, beyond selling them (and usually, late game, you don't need the money in these games).

It could bring back nostalgia - "That's the sword I used to kill wossisname, and that armour saved me from being roasted by the fire-beastie"

Edited by Silent Winter
  • Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

I used to hoard gemstones in the IE games for no other reason than I liked to imagine just having a huge vault of gems. And don't even get me started on the contents of my car boot in Fallout 2.

I certainly hope precious stones, rings and the like will make it in, and while some sort of collection or wealth representation system would be nice, I don't mind roleplaying their inclusion by just keeping them in the stronghold.

likewise.

I've also argued before that I think it'd be an interesting idea to have some sort of benefit to hoarding wealth over spending it.

Wealth levels, say having a high wealth level allows for different interactions with The high and mighty, or encounters with those who may target you for your wealth.

When your wealth exceeds your spending, at least it would have some alternative use.

And I love the idea of prestige collectibles to display in your stronghold. Whether that's an art collection, a library, Unique armour/weapon stands, a treasury with gemstones and other precious materials, an bestiary/garden with rare animals and plants or a vault with dangerous artefacts.

Maybe decking out your stronghold in that way may attract the interest of fellow art aficionados/students in need of patronage, learned men, armourers, entrepreneurs, horticulturists/druids or powerful wizards respectively.

Alternatively, it may attract the attention of art critics/cat-burglars, spies, mercenaries, robbers, drug lords or powerful wizards seeking to use the artefacts to their own ends, respectively.

Edited by JFSOCC
  • Like 4

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

In other rpg's I always regretted having to sell certain rare gems and wish I could have them set into rings or onto a pendant by some skilled jeweler. Have your own 'magical' rings etc created, depending on the type and quality of the gem, as well as the quality of the metal used for the ring or pendant.

Maybe they could also be put on belts, along with runes that you find.

• Like 2

I'd be fine with gems to be honest, if we're only talking about decorative items or "vendor trash". There's enough stuff to haul around in cRPGs as it is, even with a Bag of Holding (and I assume there will be no such thing in PE).

I'm expecting a lot of lore books though.

Exile in Torment

QblGc0a.png

What I really want in an RPG is real treasure. I'm tired of opening a treasure chest and only getting armor, weapons, gold coins, or socketable gems. What I want is rare painting to hang on a wall in my hold, faberge eggs I can set on pedestals, Crown Jewel sets that can sit behind glass cases with soldiers standing guard, rare books to add to my library in my hold, rare pottery from dead cultures, unusual fossils, etc.... Basically I want treasure like people collect and hoard in the real world. I want some of that treasure to come in sets so you feel a sense of accomplishment when you complete your set of treasure and display it in your hold.

I'm tired of finding plus one swords then selling the swork for gold coins which is then used to buy plus 2 swords.

Who is with me?

I'm with you !!!!

But to be honest the economy of the game has to support real Treasure which I doubt it will. In other words there should be items that are so expensive, and worthwhile,  that you need to find treasure to sell in order to purchase them. For me it won't be enough that I can keep the items and just look at them :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

...even with a Bag of Holding (and I assume there will be no such thing in PE).

Inventory is unlimited in PE. The backpack, which is accessible by all party member, has an area called the "deep stash" which has infinite capacity but can only be accessed while in a "rest spot".

"Access" the "Deep Stash" at "Rest Spots".

And they say there's no Romance in P:E... :brows:

• Like 6

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Inventory is unlimited in PE. The backpack, which is accessible by all party member, has an area called the "deep stash" which has infinite capacity but can only be accessed while in a "rest spot".

Which doesn't exactly justify more vendor trash, it doesn't have any inherent value IMO.

Exile in Torment

QblGc0a.png

Which doesn't exactly justify more vendor trash, it doesn't have any inherent value IMO.

:shrugz: One mans trash is another mans degenerative gameplay of walking back and forth to get it. I was simply addressing your thought that there isn't anything in PE like a bag of holding.

Man that feeling when I first got a bag of holding, so liberating and that that earth shattering felling when you discover that you can fill a bag of holding.

• Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Spells, "Skills", lore books, rare artifacts and knowledge (maybe a secret which can serve to many things, from talking to undead to bribe a king or command a demon by his true name) ARE underused treasures that i would LOVE to see in P:E.

Edited by Naurgalen
  • Like 1

when these kinda vanity appeals arise, we ask self: what would we want the developers to drop from the game to make ____________ possible? is not a hard zero-sum analysis, but if somebody is devoting resources so that players might see and interact with their trinkets, baubles and trophies, it means they can't be working on something more substantive.

am clear not the target for this however. for instance, we is complete baffled by the appeal o' xbox achievements. nevertheless, pretty much every game xbox game gots achievements and the players who seek to gather. collect and display treasure, we suspect is having similar appeal... or maybe not. am guessing folks like to sees some in-game validation that looks kewl.

clear we don't understand the appeal, but we recognize that such player desires, while alien to us, is real and powerful.  am just not sure what should be sacrificed to actualize.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'd like to see this only if there is some time investment to make the treasures have unique appearances, descriptions, displays, etc. The "trash items" in DA2 were a terrible disappointment to me.

Oh gosh wasn't that awful? I almost hated to check out anything because it would probably be some stupid torn pants or such. Surely that won't happen in PE....

Who is with me?

Yeah, this is Elder Scrolls stuff. And don't forget the Weapon racks and Armor mannequin displays where you can put that fancy magical sword and +1 armor that you don't consider real treasure.

Personally I think that kind of sentimental, Larping/Sim gameplay features are ok, but they don't really go anywhere, since devs never bother to tie "home decorations" to any creative questing. For example, When was the last time you played an RPG where bandits raided your home and stole all the paintings you found and collected or the jewel encrusted dishware you got from your last heist, or all the gems you hoarded in your Safe?

Also as L33t and experienced as the PE crowd is, it is inevidable that if the Devs put this kind of stuff in the game, the masses will STILL come here confused, and asking questions, and the conversation will look like this:

Player 1: "so... I found this unique looking ancient pottery! What do I do with it?"

Player 2: "Um.... sell it?"

Player 1: "So it's not tied to any quest or anything"?

Player 2: "nope, but you can decorate your dining room with it!"

Edited by Stun

As for actual treasure-type "collectibles," it would be great if, instead of simply being a stylized pile of gold ("this painting is a treasure, and it is therefore worth 10,000 gold! So, we could've just put 10,000 gold here in the chest, but we didn't!", they actually had multiple forms of value.

- Maybe one faction's founding member's family made/owned that painting, and they'd VERY much appreciate having it back, and would owe you a huge favor and/or grant you a higher position of standing if you gave it to them.

- Maybe some black-market style person or group WILL give you lots of money for it, but it still has a further effect, since they'll be able to sell it to someone else or leverage it against the other faction that wants it, etc., thus producing some gain on their part.

- Maybe you can display it in your stronghold (as in JFSOCC's idea), and this helps affect how people react to your stronghold when they visit or hear news of it, and what kind of decisions they make regarding you and your stronghold.

They'd still be "collectibles," because they'd just be found/lootable objects that no one even really knew still existed, so there'd be no quest of "Hey, keep an eye out for this painting from a long time ago that no one really knows still exists, or where it's even located, and if you find it, I'll give you something for it!".

I think the main problem with this type of important-yet-optional loot/item in other games is that you get such a narrow range of uses for it. Look at Shadowrun Returns. "Oh, you found some super-secret intel that someone would love to get their hands on? Your options are: Sell it to me, the Fence, or don't sell it to me." You might as well have just found some credits lying around, since "Ooooh, it's worth something because explanation" is just fluff at that point. It's functionally no different from regular loot, in terms of its potential end-effect on the game (either you gain money or you don't). In fact, it's even more boring than normal loot, since a piece of equipment can either be used OR sold, but some piece of intel that happens to be valuable to someone can only be sold (in SR:R).

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

One of the things I found in the IE games was my characters would carry around 3 or 4 swords, maybe a couple of shields and a few other weapons. This was more prevalent in BG2 for me. Just in case I came across a Dragon, I would have the longsword Dragon Slayer in my inventory. Didn't have the heart to sell it. Same with Lilarcor. Sell a talking sword? Never! Too many good items to sell.

It would be good to keep my weapons in a strong hold for later use instead of carting them around. Or maybe have them stored away for the expansion. ;)

• Like 1