I think the portraits in the Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale games were truly fantastic, especially when compared to alot of contemporary games like Might and Magic 7-9  and Wizardry 8, I also think they hold up very well compared to many modern games. Though I loved Torment, I felt the portrait art in that game was the weakest among the infinity engine games.

Edited by forgottenlor
  • Like 2

...Unca Fergie gotta pay up an' git Justin Sweet ta create a few new masterpieces...;)

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

• Like 1

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

Justin Sweet and Jason Manley are cool and all but I'm really impressed by Kaz, the designated portrait artist.

http://media.obsidian.net/eternity/media/updates/0040/orlan.jpg

http://eternity.gamepedia.com/File:Dwarf_ranger.jpeg

Errr..that didn't work quite right. Darn iOS.

Edited by Leferd
  • Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Justin Sweet and Jason Manley are cool and all but I'm really impressed by Kaz, the designated portrait artist.

I vote that the three of them form a coalition, known only as the Portrait Posse. The results will ensure portraits so overbearingly glorious that none of us ever even make it past the character creation screen.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

So far, I feel as happy with the portrait stuff that has been shown so far as I am with any of the other IE games. Everything seems very much in hand.

Though to be honest, as long as they include the ability to use custom portraits, everything will be fine.

Oh! I didn't know that person was doing the portrait art.  I still prefer the BGII look but these are really nice too.

I have to say, I prefered the Baldur's Gate 1 portraits over BG2 portraits, the latter actually seemed really bad and horrible to me with their faces actually looking disfigured due to the proportions used, while the former seemed more colourful and detailed, conveying the characters more.

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I always thought that the BG2 portraits had an excess of scars. To be honest, I just used some portrait mod anyway, so meh.

I do think that for the PC and AH characters, the ability to import a portrait should be implemented.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

In my mind, that will always be Auric Ulvin. (If you'll pardon the reference to a semi-famous Civ IV mod...)

That inspires a lot of optimism, though. Like the painterly style; the characters are distinct and you get a feel for their personality. Even though I'll probably end up using a custom portrait for my PC anyways.

Edited by KillerClowns

Aspiring author, beer connoisseur, and general purpose wiseguy

Baldur's Gate series, Icewind Dale series... either way great pictures. Doesn't matter to me, as long as Project Eternity portraits will have nothing in common with Neverwinter Nights portraits (yuk) ;)

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Justin Sweet is one my favorite artists so I must prefer the icewind sale style. I enjoy the slightly more painterly and low contrast look of them. While I did enjoy the BG2 portaits everybody looked overly shiney, almost plastic, and there was just too much detail. I like to let my mind sort of fill in the gaps in a player portrait so it can look a bit more like the person I evisioned in my head so things need to be little vauge for me to do that.

Still I imagine they'll allow custom portaits so I think people will get whatever they like best in the end anyway as well import our favorites.

• Like 1

K is for Kid, a guy or gal just like you. Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

I did like most of the BGII Portraits, but...

1243700821277.jpg

...er...

*shudder*

the japanese anime/manga aesthetic gives us the heebie-jeebies. creepy looking lemurs is what your idealized imoen looks like to us.

Haring_Duke-Lemur-Center.jpg

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

*Sighs*

• It amused me, just because BGI Imoen portrait was fairly pretty, and then the second one made it look like she'd swallowed a wasp.
  • The whole anime thing was just the style of the cartoonist who did the comic, rather than my personal preference.
  • It was just an attempt at injecting some comedy, rather than making a particular point...
  • ...but if there is one, it's that the BGII portrait styles seemed less forgiving to the females than other IE portraits...
  • ...which is not necessarily a bad thing, since females should be more than just eye-candy...
  • ...which makes the above cartoon a bit offensive, since we should be rescuing Imoen regardless of what she looks like...
  • ...but it was just a joke and probably shouldn't be taken too seriously.

I knew I should've brought my anime/jrpg disclaimer.

• Like 3

I have to say, I prefered the Baldur's Gate 1 portraits over BG2 portraits, the latter actually seemed really bad and horrible to me with their faces actually looking disfigured due to the proportions used, while the former seemed more colourful and detailed, conveying the characters more.

Agreed on all points. The BG2 portraits were also endemic with dread-locks. Icewind Dale portraits were nice, but I found them a bit bleak for my tastes. I imagine this was done to convey the darker and more harsh setting of Icewind Dale, but I still prefered the color and character of Baldur's Gate portaits. Portraits in Temple of Elemental Evil and Arcanum felt equally drab.

Edited by Mr. Magniloquent
  • Like 1