What are you reading?

syn2083

The Martian, excellent book that I highly recommended to anyone. It's about an astronaut stranded(presumed dead) on Mars with 1 year of food and the next mission is in 4 years.

• Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

The Martian, excellent book that I highly recommended to anyone. It's about an astronaut stranded(presumed dead) on Mars with 1 year of food and the next mission is in 4 years.

So I picked the ebook up from Amazon and started reading it this morning, at your recommendation (to anyone). I'm a little under halfway through and it's very, very good. 

• Like 1

Still reading Raising Steam. Honestly I'm a bit disappointed. It's not funny and it's dragging. The conflict is only really starting up about halfway into the book. But on the plus side is that it's charming and optimistic as hell.

I also just found out that Peter Watts has some ebooks available on his website. http://www.rifters.com/real/shorts.htm

I've heard fantastic things about Blindsight.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Anybody here ever read The Seven Forges by James Moore? Is it any good? Most fantasy is just a dreadful regurgitation of the work of better writers but I've hears this one is ok. Anyone know before I buy it?

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

No but I can give it a whirl and come back to you on it in 2 days if you are willing to wait.

Sure if you feel like scouting the terrain I'd love to hear about it.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Finished book one. It's a great read so far, lot's of seeds planted for future books. On to book 2, I will definitely keep an eye on this series.

Finished book one. It's a great read so far, lot's of seeds planted for future books. On to book 2, I will definitely keep an eye on this series.

Thanks, I downloaded it to the kindle. I'll giver 'er a go myself.

Thomas Sowell

Found it cheap going to give it a try.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Heh, usually you guys don't like what I read.

Thomas Sowell

Just finished the Last Mythal series. Last book was definitely the best one. Not sure where to move on to. The Maztica series, the Elminster books, or continue on with the Drizzt stuff.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Well, I'm 4 chapters in and so far it's like eating vanilla ice cream. It's good, but not very memorable. So far nothing has happened to separate from all the dreck to GOT level.

Thomas Sowell

Well, I'm 4 chapters in and so far it's like eating vanilla ice cream. It's good, but not very memorable. So far nothing has happened to separate from all the dreck to GOT level.

It's mostly making promises for the next books, though there is some good stuff in there. I finished book 2 a couple of days ago, it's mostly the same as book one, sowing seeds, but some stuff has already grown in it and it pretty good. It still kept me interested in the series, hope the next book delivers on those promises.

Comic nerds I know have been talking about Injustice - God Among Us, so I decided to buy the collection and blew through them today... I wanna know how it ends! Cool story line actually. 

I started it when it came out, but the serialization was confusing as ****. I don't know if they wanted to axe it or what but releases were very sporadic. I'm gonna continue it when they end this season.

I digged the retrospective elements / story about Rolands youth in that book.

But yeah, that's a thing that is always bugging me about Stephen King: He writes really good stuff, but often he looses himself in words, words, words... It's like there is this one little something and he writes 10 pages about it. I really had to force myself through some parts of the Dark Tower books. Lukely, in the end I still got rewarded with much fun and joy. When I was reading the books a second time few years later, I skipped most of the boring parts, though...

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

King is like all super-successful authors: he thinks he's editor-proof. And if he doesn't, his editors seem to timid in parsing the great man's prose.

Disclaimer - I like King, a lot. Still...

In my admittedly small experience, those that don't think they need an editor need one the most. It takes additional sets of eyes to pick out glaring flaws in your prose, even if you feel that it works as is. *Shrug*

And I like King as well. It was probably one of the worst things 12 year old me could've read, but I loved it.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I have a love/hate relationship with his books. I read most of them at a young age. They scared the crap out of me, and I would promise myself never to read anything he wrote ever again. Two weeks pass and I am reading another King book.

When i was younger, this was the truth:

tumblr_static_nightmare.gif

• 3 weeks later...

This book: 

Bild37gkh_zps8c72ac1f.jpg

This book does not glorify the war or any of the participating parties, instead its a simple diary of a German engineer who received one of the rarest and hardest to get military decorations of the second world war, the Nahkampfspange (close quarter combat medal) in gold.

Its incredible what that guy went through, one night he fired 24.000 rounds (160 ammo cans) through his MG42 to defend a position from the advancing Russians who attacked in waves all night long, in the Russian plains in winter they made a wall, 200 meters long and 3 meters high out of fallen enemies covered in snow to make their snow fortress somewhat bullet proof because there was no other natural cover.
The book is full of craziness like that, hard to believe things like that really happened.  :blink:

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Morning Glories. A comic book of YA mind****. Right now, I'm more interested in Ellis' Supreme: Blue Rose, which is similar, minus the "centered on annoying teens" aspect, but given its release schedule, I sadly can't devour the whole thing at once (yet).

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."