What are you reading?

syn2083

I recently reread The Great Gatsby and To Kill A Mockingbird. Both are still amongst the best. Atticus is probably as close to a perfect human being as possible. Maybe *too* perfect. L0L Plus,  anyone who claims that Daisy never loved Gatsby apparantly did not read the book properly. He just shouldn't have asked too much...

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

TKAM is an excellent story. My mother had me read it when I was about 10, to which I didnt appreciate it, then rereading it later I really saw it.. what a wonderful book (not the subject matter, clearly, but the writing).

I've started reading The Hedge Knight series, I like the idea of getting a George Martin fix without being locked into another epic.

I just finished reading Children of Dune, though I'm a bit amused by the whole sandtrout thing I thought it was a good book, it was long but perhaps it could have been just a bit longer, Leto II's rise felt rushed compared to Paul in the first book.

Towards the end it felt like someone telling you a story about one of their uncles going fishing. I'm sure Herbert found it interesting to tell. But I wanted some ****ing action, not just a sequence of events.

Yeah it felt like it was missing a few hundred pages, maybe he felt a little bit silly for unleashing a Marvel superhero on Arrakis  :disguise:

• Like 1

Towards the end it felt like someone telling you a story about one of their uncles going fishing. I'm sure Herbert found it interesting to tell. But I wanted some ****ing action, not just a sequence of events.

See, people like you, wanting '****ing action' is what produced KJA/BH's abortions! :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I've started reading The Hedge Knight series, I like the idea of getting a George Martin fix without being locked into another epic.

There's been some talk that HBO is talking with GRRM about adapting the Dunk and Egg stories. The comics are pretty good too.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I recently reread The Great Gatsby and To Kill A Mockingbird. Both are still amongst the best. Atticus is probably as close to a perfect human being as possible. Maybe *too* perfect. L0L Plus,  anyone who claims that Daisy never loved Gatsby apparantly did not read the book properly. He just shouldn't have asked too much...

Those two books were my favorite assigned reading in English class from high school.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

See, people like you, wanting '****ing action' is what produced KJA/BH's abortions! :p

What the feth is a KJA/BH?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

There's been some talk that HBO is talking with GRRM about adapting the Dunk and Egg stories. The comics are pretty good too.

Wild Cards. Very very good. *blushes* well, OK. Maybe not very very good. But good. Great world building.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

What the feth is a KJA/BH?

Kevin J Anderson/Brian Herbert

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Just started The Road to Judea. I have no idea what it is about aside from the fact it is told from the perspective of a Roman legionary and is set in Israel shortly after the time of Christ.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Now not stricly about reading, but I thought it would add to the thread and I find it a really funky tattoo..

LibraryStackTattoo_zps3afae172.jpg

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Now not stricly about reading, but I thought it would add to the thread and I find it a really funky tattoo..

LibraryStackTattoo_zps3afae172.jpg

I'm aroused and interested in reading at he same time.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

The book I posted above stunk. If it was a movie I'd have walked out. Since it was a book I just deleted it from my Kindle.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The book I posted above stunk. If it was a movie I'd have walked out. Since it was a book I just deleted it from my Kindle.

I get a bit OCD about finishing books. That's why I should never have started Robert Fisk's magnum opus. Just thinking about the bastard object makes me want to weep.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

Mostly historical books (Hobson), but I've decided to read some spiritual works as well, to balance.. So Ekhart Tolle "The Power of Now" and listening to an audio book from Alan Watts..

Those guys are pretty awesome.

Fortune favors the bald.

So far today I've been skimming through various Shadowrun 4th Edition books - Artifacts Unbound, Jet Set,  The Clutch of Dragons, The Land of Promise...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I'm reading a collection of PKD short stories. Pretty damn good, sometimes.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I generally love short stories by the big authors.. I've read a lot ofof Aasimov and Stephen King's short stories.. Does the PDK collection have a name?

Also found "The way of the superior man" by Deida today.. This is an awesome book!

Fortune favors the bald.

I generally love short stories by the big authors.. I've read a lot ofof Aasimov and Stephen King's short stories.. Does the PDK collection have a name?

Also found "The way of the superior man" by Deida today.. This is an awesome book!

The Collected Short Stories of PKD, Volume 1.

http://biblio.co.uk/9781857988796

• Like 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I refuse to be beaten by Robert Fisk. I have therefore decided to read it, and score out each page as I do. I mean there's only about 1400. I have to finish it eventually.

-Elwood Blues

Now reading Dan Brown's Inferno. I haven't been a real big fan of the pervious three books. They were all right don't get me wrong, but I found them to be a little contrived and full of some obvious plot holes. This one is a little better. I'd give it three and a half of five stars at the halfway point.

Thomas Sowell

The General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I'm actually reading the RA Salvatore Neverwinter series. But I'm more excited by Paul S Kemp's return to D&D and Erevis Cale in a few months. That's what is actually pushing me to read through this, Kemp's book is part of a series that starts with a Drizzt book.

I'm getting more gripes with Salvatore's style of "action" than I used to. So we'll see if the Sundering ends up being a jumping off point. I still have lots of Discworld, Ciaphas Cain, Mistborn, Wheel of Time, Game of Thrones and non-series works to catch up on and could definitely stand to have fewer authors to follow.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

My preceding brave statement about reading Robert Fisk looks considerably more dubious as I stare across the mists of Nomansland at all the coils of hypocrisy and broken logic. Waiting, I have a cold and terrible vision of my self respect lying shattered at the bottom of some truth-hole. Or having my credibility blown off by a half-concealed factoid, and forever after being looked at pityingly by the folks back home.

"Daddy, why does that man think the United States organised the Sabra and Shatila massacre?" The children will say, as they are urgently hushed away from me.

A shrill piping sounds down the line. I feel sick.

-Elwood Blues