Dragon Age: Inquisition

Gorth

The Devil's Dictionary is cool, sarcasm's fine, what made it seem petty and overly defensive is that it's related to criticisms of Bioware's most recent games - any of the common ones - and acting as if all are invalid and unfair. 

David's been pointing out people abusing these terms since the DA:O days.

And it's possible for someone to both mock some critizism and acknowledge the validity of other critizism.

The Chantry doesn't have the Problem of Evil...

Thing is, the lore also said that the Maker resides in Golden city, which was desecrated by the Tevinter mages, turned into Black City.  But that Tevinter Mage you met in Awakening said that the city wasn't golden when they entered it, meaning it was always black.

That has nothing to do with whether the Chantry has to deal with the problem of evil.

Isn't Bioware's stance that the Maker could not exist at all, a direct parallel to all religions in the real world?

Yes.

The genre sucks

Are you familiar with Sturgeon's response to that same claim about science fiction?

Sturgeon's Law is an awesome way for a science fiction writer to dodge the problems with his genre.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Then again, there does seem to be a common syndrome in gamers that compels them to spend time and money on things they hate.

I notice this for a lot of stuff, but it seems geek culture (which I am more familiar with, so there's a bias there) there's the idea that people's passions are exploited via nickel and dime stuff like DLC.  EA/BioWare is evil because it knows people will want to have a Prothean party member because Protheans are essential to the story, so it was cut out intentionally for the sole purpose of milking a few dollars more out of customers.

Now, many of these people say they have no problem with Day One DLC, but it shouldn't be vital story content (I find the definition of the term "vital" is variable, however).  It should be things like item packs and other non-essential things like that.  I have seen this extend to ALL DLC, and that story content is considered vital and people shouldn't be charged more for it since it's exploitative.

The thing I notice about this is that it comes across as "Please don't make and charge me for DLC that I want.  Only make and sell DLC that I don't really find interesting."  Almost as saying "Make stuff that people don't want" as DLC.

As a consumer, I totally expect people to want as much content as they can get for as little cost as they can pay.  To many of these people, getting the content ASAP is also a factor, because the idea of "I don't think the game + DLC (that I want) is worth $70, so I will pick it up when the prices drop so that it is $60 or even $50" doesn't seem to jive with them.  As a consumer, it's the stuff that I do to influence my choices.  I rarely preorder games, but if it's a game I just *know* I will get on day one, I find myself more compelled to buy preorders since it'll snag me extra content.  Some will see it as "punishing those that don't preorder," but I think at any point one man's reward can always be interpreted as another man's punishment, so I'm not sure if there's as much that can be done to counter that, if we feel compelled to reward people for taking a risk on preordering.

As for buying things they dislike, the notion of "if you don't like the DLC, don't support it by buying it" often (not always) sees responses of "but then I miss out on content!"  Which certainly doesn't tug on these capitalistic heart strings as much as people may like :p

Give us some yet unrevealed information and we can talk about that instead.

If you happen to be in Seattle, I think you might enjoy PAX :)

Edited by alanschu
  • Like 2

The genre sucks

Are you familiar with Sturgeon's response to that same claim about science fiction?

I will admit some ignorance of fantasy writing, most what i'm familiar with comes from D&D or some other similar source. Whereas I'm more familiar with science fiction and can name some great works of the genre. For fantasy however, the great names are not the ones that come first to mind probably because their work usually is not high fantasy. But Gaiman, Pratchett and Martin are good fantasy writers whose work I enjoy.

I still think that high fantasy is crap.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Alan, if I am not impressed by whatever I read about PAX, I will smite you.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I now eagerly anticipate PAX to be filled with information on reactivity, specializations, post-alpha combat videos, a humble post-mortem of Dragon Age 2, and a proud declaration that Gaider has taken up wearing only the most festive of hats.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Gaider's propeller hat will be an actual propeller.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

They are completely average, and in many cases quite below average.  He is a terrible book writer.

So is he average, quite below average, or terrible?  You are being unclear in your writing.

All three. A terrible writer can produce average or below average writing.  His usage of plotting shows the overall skill of a 14 year old writing Harry Potter fan fic. I was going to write a comprehensive review, but this one from the Codex is pretty hilarious (and spot on).  http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/dragon-age-the-stolen-throne-a-mostly-comprehensive-review.37145/

Also, "and" is perfectly usable as a differentiation between values or scales.  For example, "That car gets good gas mileage, and in many cases gets great gas mileage."  That is nothing contradictory there.  If you are confused, that's your problem.

Anyways do we really need to get into an argument about just how terrible some in-world contract fiction for a video game series is?  Really?

• Like 1

Not to defend Gaider's writing, because I've not been impressed by the writing in Bioware games, but game dialogue writing and book writing are not interchangeable. I've yet to see highly rated published authors succeed in game dialogue, and vice versa.

Edited by Azarkon
  • Like 1

There are doors

Anyways do we really need to get into an argument about just how terrible some in-world contract fiction for a video game series is?  Really?

He's not the only person arguing the point.  So, based on your responses, I am led to conclude that your answer to that question is actually "yes."  Or is it just a "now that I've gotten the last word in" type of conclusion?  (I do that all the time too, btw)

I wouldn't normally consider someone "terrible" at something to be capable of writing "completely average" stuff.  Given that you led with it (as opposed to quite below average), leads one to feel that your conclusion is that he is typically completely average.  At this point, perhaps ostensibly because of your rhetorical question, I actually do feel like engaging in this discussion now (though I have never read any of the books).

I'm finding it difficult to disassociate your perspective from the standard internet MO of excessive use of hyperbole.

• Like 3

I couldn't get into Stolen Throne myself. Put it down halfway into the second chapter. Which makes it not the worst book I've tried to read, that honor goes to Hearts in Atlantis from Stephen King. Formerly a big Stephen King fan, that book put me off reading for 2 years...

Still, he seems to have found an audience. A number (being vague as I haven't done the studies, forgive me) of people enjoyed his work, including one or two people here that I've talked to. So, he has found an audience. Which, large or small, is at least appreciable.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Hearts of Atlantis wasn't that bad. Although I'd say King's short stories and novellas are generally better than his novels.

Will propeller hats be in DAI?

If you want a book that will make you swear off reading try "War & Peace" or anything by Dostoyevsky, with any luck you won't need counseling afterwards.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

I'd say the worst thing I've ever read is Paradise Lost, which made me want to strangle a kitten.

So did the books manage to make characters like Varrick, Alistair and Isabella sound like themselves? Because I am tempted to pick up a copy  just to hear them interact with each other. 

In the comics, Alistair behaves like Christian Bale's Batman. Isabela and Varric hardly joke with one another.

I'd say the worst thing I've ever read is Paradise Lost, which made me want to strangle a kitten.

I loved Paradise Lost, but I'd never want to reread the entire thing.

Edited by Maria Caliban
  • Like 1

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

If you want a book that will make you swear off reading try "War & Peace" or anything by Dostoyevsky, with any luck you won't need counseling afterwards.

Hah, I love both Crime & Punishment and the Brothers Karamazov, but I dig Russian literature in general.  Still, I need to be in a very special mood to sit down with Dostoyevsky, whereas generic fantasy can be read for a few quick plops on the toilet.

So did the books manage to make characters like Varrick, Alistair and Isabella sound like themselves? Because I am tempted to pick up a copy  just to hear them interact with each other. 

In the comics, Alistair behaves like Christian Bale's Batman. Isabela and Varric hardly joke with one another.

None of those characters are in the novel.  Wynn gets a big role in Asunder, as does Shale and Lelianna. 

• Like 1

Guest Slinky

Not to defend Gaider's writing, because I've not been impressed by the writing in Bioware games, but game dialogue writing and book writing are not interchangeable. I've yet to see highly rated published authors succeed in game dialogue, and vice versa.

I'm at the same time afraid and curious like hell thinking what kind of book Bethesdas writer/writers could make :p

I'm at the same time afraid and curious like hell thinking what kind of book Bethesdas writer/writers could make :p

Can't we worse than the Fable 3 novels, as if the game wasn't bad enough.

village_idiot.gif