What you having for dinner tonight?

BruceVC

What sorts are you catching?

EDIT: Do you normally catch?

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Fish. I don't know what kind, I haven't gone down to the river yet. But we'll see.

What sorts are you catching?

EDIT: Do you normally catch?

Yes I'm also very interested in what fish? It probably sounds idealistic but I love the idea in the 21st Century of person actually going down to a river and being able to catch his supper.

@GD

How close are your neighbours where you live? Are you isolated and where is the closest town. I have this image of you living in the deep forest like some kind of ranger  but its probably not accurate :biggrin:

Oh I'm having Pizza for supper, Mexicana Pizza to be exact

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

@Wals: Striped bass, rock bass, speck and bream are the most common fish in the Hatchie River & Cold Creek which is where I do most of my fishing. They respond best to live bait like crickets, minnows, and night crawlers (earthworms to those of you not from the south). Top water artificial plugs and spins work well for striped bass but sinking lures are more for lakes since the current is so strong. I once caught a brown trout which was surprising since they are more common in the mountains out east.

@Bruce: My property is bordered on the north side by the Anderson Tully Wildlife Management Area. and on the west by Cold Creek. I can walk to the Hatchee River in about 30 min. It is remote by any definition. I use DirectTv satellite for my TV & Internet since there is no cable or broadband service here. My cell phone work ok if I go outside. The nearest towns are Covington which is about 18 miles and Millington which is about 20. Memphis is the nearest city. My nearest neighbor is about 1 mile away. I have never met them but they wave when I drive by. But my house is not a cabin in the woods by any means. I just had it built four years ago. And while I do get a fair amount of produce from the garden and fish, fowl & venison from Tully most of my groceries come from Kroger!

Which is fortunate because I only could 4 Gar fish today. You really can't eat them so I put them back. The only fish I'll be eating tonight will be fish sticks from Gortons!

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Couldn't sleep, cramp in my calves, worried in general.

Up therefore, and to the kitchen. Bought high grade ox tail yesterday, so browned that in cornflour and olive oil, before submerging in water, garlic, dill, rosemary, angostura bitters, salt. I flung in a few carrots and potatoes for good measure. Brought to the boil, dropped the heat, and am now simmering. By lunchtime it will be perfect. 

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Couldn't sleep, cramp in my calves, worried in general.

Up therefore, and to the kitchen. Bought high grade ox tail yesterday, so browned that in cornflour and olive oil, before submerging in water, garlic, dill, rosemary, angostura bitters, salt. I flung in a few carrots and potatoes for good measure. Brought to the boil, dropped the heat, and am now simmering. By lunchtime it will be perfect. 

I love Oxtail, its also one of those dishes where once you have the ingredients you can almost leave to infuse with flavour on the stove while you do other things, like Boeuf Bourguignonne

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Soup worked. Beef fat turned buttery soft, meat falling off the bone, bones infused with marrow and herb flavours, perfect for gnawing on.

• Like 2

-Elwood Blues

Soup worked. Beef fat turned buttery soft, meat falling off the bone, bones infused with marrow and herb flavours, perfect for gnawing on.

Wow that does sound delicious, when are you inviting for me lunch Walsie? I think our relationship has reached that level don't you think :thumbsup:

John Milton 

The next time I'm South of Mozambique. :)

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

Went to some wine bar and had some appetizers and pizza

We were sitting in a corner and I was facing the window and a (I'm assuming because they were holding hands) gay couple walks by outside. One gentleman splits off from the other and points directly at me walks up to the glass and puts his mouth on it and starts making out with the window. I'm just sitting there thinking to myself why does this kind of stuff always happen to me

Anyway, the food and wine was very good and this is what we had

thin baguette topped with gorgonzola cheese and honey
mushrooms stuffed with italian sausage, prosciutto & cream cheese
sweet corn ravioli tossed in a brown butter sauce with toasted pecan dust
white pizza with homemade gorgonzola sauce, pear, red peppers drizzled in honey
and some kind of meat platter with olives, capers, and mustard
Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

I did homemade pizzas for dinner.  I made the dough from scratch, and then my daughter and I made two personal pizzas.  It was actually very tricky.  We have a stone baking tray, which I heated up for about an hour ahead of time.  Then we made the pizzas, but transferring them onto proved to be very tough.  Mine fell apart a bit during the transfer.  I also put way too much sauce and cheese on the thing, and it made a big mess.  My wife learned from our lessons and made two beautiful pies after us.  

We just did tomato sauce, mozzarella, fresh tomatoes, and then I put some cheddar and a bit of smoked turkey on mine.  It still came out delicious.

• Like 1

We were sitting in a corner and I was facing the window and a (I'm assuming because they were holding hands) gay couple walks by outside. One gentleman splits off from the other and points directly at me walks up to the glass and puts his mouth on it and starts making out with the window. I'm just sitting there thinking to myself why does this kind of stuff always happen to me

I believe the correct response is to write "We have to stop meeting like this. My partner is getting suspicious." on a napkin, and hold that up.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

I did homemade pizzas for dinner.  I made the dough from scratch, and then my daughter and I made two personal pizzas.  It was actually very tricky.  We have a stone baking tray, which I heated up for about an hour ahead of time.  Then we made the pizzas, but transferring them onto proved to be very tough.  Mine fell apart a bit during the transfer.  I also put way too much sauce and cheese on the thing, and it made a big mess.  My wife learned from our lessons and made two beautiful pies after us.  

We just did tomato sauce, mozzarella, fresh tomatoes, and then I put some cheddar and a bit of smoked turkey on mine.  It still came out delicious.

That's a cute story Hurlshot and you are right there is an art to making a proper Pizza :)

I am enjoying your posting of the restaurants you visit, I like reading the menu. I am going to start doing the same. I went to Kitchen Bar on Saturday for drinks and dinner. It was very festive 8)

http://www.kitchenbar.co.za/Kitchen_Bar/home.html

John Milton 

Oh and I'm having Lamb Sausage for dinner with mash potato

John Milton 

I had a load of bananas going off, so I tried to make a banana coffee and allspice cake. It turned out tasty enough, but with the consistency of biltong.

I honestly don't know if this qualifies as a win or not.

-Elwood Blues

I had a load of bananas going off, so I tried to make a banana coffee and allspice cake. It turned out tasty enough, but with the consistency of biltong.

I honestly don't know if this qualifies as a win or not.

A proper Chef would say "no" but for the average person its more about the taste so it would be a big fat "Yes "

John Milton 

I'm going to a party tonight, so probably large quantities of some form of alcohol and likely some **** from taco bell.

Currently eating a sandwich.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Tonight I'm having Steak and Potato wedges with my famous homemade Cheese sauce, I have got the Cheese sauce recipe down to a fine art so it will be delicious :yes:

• Like 1

John Milton 

Boiled eggs on dry brown toast with french mustard. It works.

-Elwood Blues

Hubs: Are you hungry?

Me: Not really, stuffed my face a few hours ago, still rather full. Did you want something?

Hubs: Thinking about pizza.

Me: Get one if you want. Don't know if I'll eat any, but pizza you always can eat later.

*30 minutes*

Hubs: I'm back.

Me: *sniffsniffsniff* Dang that looks good. Maybe just one slice...

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts