What you did today

Rosbjerg

This is a good idea. We've considered creating one as well. Personally, I'm not exactly sure what to put in one. All we've ever done was a bit of camping at campgrounds. Nothing much to learn from that. The only hikes we ever do are the ones you get through in one day, then come home and sleep in comfy beds.

Thanks. And here I was afraid of being categorized as some kind of stereotypical doomsday prepper nut. (Which I'm not)

If you need any help with your survival backpack just ask me, I'm happy to help. One thing I highly recommend, -I would even call it the single most important item in my backpack- is this survival book:

040934-FC222.jpg

I have one copy of it in my backpack and it contains survival techniques in all kinds of terrains and situations, first aid skills, how to hunt, skin animals and prepare meat, the dangers of parasites, psychology in dangerous situations, ...its an extremely comprehensive survival book.

Even when you are not THAT interested in that kind of subject its still a great read because of the sheer amount useful information in it.

I don't have a survival bug-out bag or anything else for the simple reason that I lack the working back  to carry anything heavier than a large book. Even if I did I couldn't swing anything to defend myself.

I don't know what exactly is wrong with your physical condition, but it almost never hurts to do some exercise to improve yourself, especially a screwed up back can be greatly improved with some resistance training.

I'd feel worse about this, but Britain has so little food available compared with the population that if society broke down you'd witness total ravening anarchy inside 14 days.

Why is that? Doesn't your government store food for at least one month in case of a breakdown? Mine does. (- In theory, I have no faith in my government when it comes to dealing with extreme situations) Edited by Woldan
  • Like 2

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Terrible football. Arsenal might actually have a chance to win the premiership.

Don't bring my hopes up.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Walsingham stars as Snake Plissken in ESCAPE FROM UK

If you make this into a movie I'll go see it! :lol:

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

This is a good idea. We've considered creating one as well. Personally, I'm not exactly sure what to put in one. All we've ever done was a bit of camping at campgrounds. Nothing much to learn from that. The only hikes we ever do are the ones you get through in one day, then come home and sleep in comfy beds.

Thanks. And here I was afraid of being categorized as some kind of stereotypical doomsday prepper nut. (Which I'm not)

If you need any help with your survival backpack just ask me, I'm happy to help. One thing I highly recommend, -I would even call it the single most important item in my backpack- is this survival book:

040934-FC222.jpg

I have one copy of it in my backpack and it contains survival techniques in all kinds of terrains and situations, first aid skills, how to hunt, skin animals and prepare meat, the dangers of parasites, psychology in dangerous situations, ...its an extremely comprehensive survival book.

Even when you are not THAT interested in that kind of subject its still a great read because of the sheer amount useful information in it.

I don't have a survival bug-out bag or anything else for the simple reason that I lack the working back  to carry anything heavier than a large book. Even if I did I couldn't swing anything to defend myself.

I don't know what exactly is wrong with your physical condition, but it almost never hurts to do some exercise to improve yourself, especially a screwed up back can be greatly improved with some resistance training.

I'd feel worse about this, but Britain has so little food available compared with the population that if society broke down you'd witness total ravening anarchy inside 14 days.

Why is that? Doesn't your government store food for at least one month in case of a breakdown? Mine does. (- In theory, I have no faith in my government when it comes to dealing with extreme situations)

Here I am looking at your reply with the picture of the survival guide when one of our roommates walks on by and says Hey I got that book!  So, here I have that guide right in front of me as I type. How weird is that!!! I feel like I'm in Harry Potter or something.

Anyway, bless your heart Woldan for your response. One thing for sure I'm putting in my pack is my multi-tool. Like from Survivor man. I'll need that.

• Like 2

040934-FC222.jpg

Woldan do you think you could survive in the wilderness by yourself? What I mean is could you set snares, make yourself some sort of shelter, hunt, identify what berries you can eat and so on?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I wouldn't even know what kind of bait to use to trap a can of tuna...

Civilisation FTW :)

• Like 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Realistically most of us would end up dead in the fall of civilization... and the only winners are the cowards. Why? Because they(we) are opportunists. And generally understand that when crap is going down the drain you can't play knight in shining armor. Admittedly in part this would depend upon how the world was ending... in a epidemic you'd probably find family units sticking together but being incredibly xenophobic (in case the sickness jumped). In a more nuclear ending you'd see people trying to act as larger groups to survive, but it's unlikely they'd be larger than a township.

Although the initial chaos that wiped out most people would have individuals operating on their own, or maybe clinging to their dependent relationship (so parents and young offspring). Depressingly those who'd be trying to be Chivalrous or whatever would end up getting crushed 'neath pragmatism and base instinct.

Sorry my bipolar has been acting up so I've been looking at the dark side of things.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Realistically most of us would end up dead in the fall of civilization... and the only winners are the cowards. Why? Because they(we) are opportunists. And generally understand that when crap is going down the drain you can't play knight in shining armor. Admittedly in part this would depend upon how the world was ending... in a epidemic you'd probably find family units sticking together but being incredibly xenophobic (in case the sickness jumped). In a more nuclear ending you'd see people trying to act as larger groups to survive, but it's unlikely they'd be larger than a township.

Although the initial chaos that wiped out most people would have individuals operating on their own, or maybe clinging to their dependent relationship (so parents and young offspring). Depressingly those who'd be trying to be Chivalrous or whatever would end up getting crushed 'neath pragmatism and base instinct.

Sorry my bipolar has been acting up so I've been looking at the dark side of things.

I can see it now.

Setting: Post Armageddon Iowa

Scene: A burned out building

Action: Calax huddles over a fire dressed in dirty rags cooking a human leg (not his) over a dwindling fire.

Galaxy New Radio playing in the background. 

:lol:

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Aren't you kind of contradicting yourself? There's strength in coherent cohesive groups, but cowards and selfish people won't form those groups. What you will get are groups of people who altruistic in-group, and judgemental of outgroups. Tribes, essentially.

My real chance of survival lies in finding a tribe and becoming their witchdoctor. Couple pints of snakebite and I can froth at the mouth and quote Star Wars with the best of them.

• Like 2

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

While I won't comment on whether preparing for the end of the world is crazy or not, preparing for JUST it certainly is. From a fire, to a gas leak, to some idiots who can't store explosives properly* (never mind weather and earthquakes in some less fortunate locations) there are a ton of reasons why you might spend a week or two on somebody else's sofa or on the floor of the local high school basketball court. That's my focus, not the collapse of civilization, as seductive as it might appear. :p

*Happened close by a while back, big evacuation zone..

• Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

While I won't comment on whether preparing for the end of the world is crazy or not, preparing for JUST it certainly is. From a fire, to a gas leak, to some idiots who can't store explosives properly* (never mind weather and earthquakes in some less fortunate locations) there are a ton of reasons why you might spend a week or two on somebody else's sofa or on the floor of the local high school basketball court. That's my focus, not the collapse of civilization, as seductive as it might appear. :p

*Happened close by a while back, big evacuation zone..

This is true. I have a first aid kit and food for two weeks as standard. And unless I'm wearing a suit, most of my clothes and shoes are hard wearing enough to live in for a while.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Well dang it, I've been using "The Hardy Boy's Survival Handbook" since I was a kid..  :shifty:

Although I tend to go by the theory that anything vitally essential should always be in your pockets when you leave the house. One of the reasons I'm loathe to go out without a jacket.. heh.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I've been using Enid Blyton's The Faraway Tree, and I'm more or less intact.

-Elwood Blues

Woldan do you think you could survive in the wilderness by yourself? What I mean is could you set snares, make yourself some sort of shelter, hunt, identify what berries you can eat and so on?

In theory, yes, I could, the problem is I'd have to gather fruits, hunt, check traps, make fire, gather fire wood, gather and purify water, build and maintain my shelter all by myself every_single_day. Thats a LOT of work. Hunting alone can easily take you 6-8 hours / day and success is not always granted.

I guess I could do that for a couple of weeks but it would only be a matter of time until I'd burn out and the lack of company would result in questioning everything, depressions apathy. And there is nothing more deadly than losing your will to survive.

My chances of survival grow exponentially in a group, being in a group is vital.

And forget surviving alone in the winter time without any rations or any sort of preparations.

Anyway, bless your heart Woldan for your response. One thing for sure I'm putting in my pack is my multi-tool. Like from Survivor man. I'll need that.

You're welcome. I recommend a machete for your backpack, you can chop wood with it to build shelter, turned around its a hammer, its a good defense weapon, you can use it to skin animals and firmly attached to a long stick you have a superb spear.

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Got an interview tomorrow for a paid internship as a 3D game artist. Wish me luck! Any interviewing tips?

Don't turn up in just your underwear.

Although I've heard with certain areas of industry it can be a good thing to get a feel for the "company culture" beforehand to get some idea of what they'll react best to. While a good suit and tie is the standard, some artsy companies feel better about certain more relaxed outfits. Or having little touches of uniqueness / personality. Such as semi-crazy socks or a tie that isn't totally bland.

Preparation is a good idea, so when questions get asked you won't totally go into stammer mode as you try to think up responses... :shifty:

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Got an interview tomorrow for a paid internship as a 3D game artist. Wish me luck! Any interviewing tips?

No tips. Wishing you luck though :luck:

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Well dang it, I've been using "The Hardy Boy's Survival Handbook" since I was a kid..  :shifty:

Although I tend to go by the theory that anything vitally essential should always be in your pockets when you leave the house. One of the reasons I'm loathe to go out without a jacket.. heh.

Sure, the most essential stuff is in your "every day carry", the next setup in a bug-out/72hr bag etc. In my case my "EDC" is (in) my attache case (crucial meds, good small led flashlight, spare USB battery... and I really should add a good book or the ipad to it), which I keep in the office since I live in the same building where I work. It'll have to be a fairly epic emergency for me to not be able to take the 90 seconds it would take to grab the bag from home...

That said, I now have one of these and I'm looking at grabbing suitable gear for 'er: 

ARC-10815CROCODILE.jpg

(And yes, I know this is the wrong way to do it, but I now will nod understandingly whenever a woman explains to me about how something spoke to her when she was shoppin. :p)

I don't have much experience of the alternatives, but the 'short' bergen I was issued with by the Army was the most comfortable backpack I could have imagined, given the weight. And tough as all hell. I'd look for one of those online. I've just checked and the short pattern is around £30.

-Elwood Blues

I recommend Eberlestock backpacks, they're as great as they're expensive: http://www.eberlestock.com/

That was my other alternative, but i found I preferred the Khard in the size group where the corresponding Eberlestock would probably have been the Halftrack. Also, an Eberlestock tends to be a secret handshake for former UN peacekeepers around here... Which I am not.

I don't have much experience of the alternatives, but the 'short' bergen I was issued with by the Army was the most comfortable backpack I could have imagined, given the weight. And tough as all hell. I'd look for one of those online. I've just checked and the short pattern is around £30.

The whole reason I went with the bag I did was to purge the demons of the Finnish army backpack, the most horrible travesty of load carrying equipment known to man. Well, maybe after the Veshmeshok.

If I ever decide to quit being an amateur and go full 'walt', I'm getting an eberlestock. :lol:

Edited by Walsingham
  • Like 1

-Elwood Blues