What you did today

Rosbjerg

Just finished packing my survival backpack, I managed not to break the 20kg comfort-limit and it contains everything from a tent to ammo to emergency food that would keep me alive for approx. 20 days.

I'm never going to need it, but its still fun to create a working concept of a general survival backpack using my experiences gathered from various trips into the wilds. And it always amazes me how much gear you'd need and how much you'd be screwed without it once you leave your comfortable house and civilization. Its a trip to another world.

When you hear about some doomsday preppers, you think they are nuts, they spend their life in service to the sad hope that doom strikes, BUT

it pays to be prepared, and if it's just a small effort so you have 'something, just in case'

then brilliant.

Besides, if I ever become a rich eccentric millionaire, you bet your ass I'll have some crazy ass doomsday fort in the basement :p

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Just finished packing my survival backpack, I managed not to break the 20kg comfort-limit and it contains everything from a tent to ammo to emergency food that would keep me alive for approx. 20 days.

I'm never going to need it, but its still fun to create a working concept of a general survival backpack using my experiences gathered from various trips into the wilds. And it always amazes me how much gear you'd need and how much you'd be screwed without it once you leave your comfortable house and civilization. Its a trip to another world.

I've got one in my truck, another in my camping gear, hell my whole house and property are sort of geared that way. It's just smart. Especially if you are going to be in a cold environment like you would be.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The moral I learned - don't watch documentary's about sci-fi films of the 50s before going to bed.

"Why?" you may ask.  Because sci-fi films of the 50s tended to be grimly nihilistic (it happens when you think a nuclear bomb is going to be dropped on you at any second).

Naturally, with such images poking through my head, I promptly went to bed and had apocalyptic dreams. Various kinds of decay and destruction and annihilation, either societal, personal or professional. 

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

When you hear about some doomsday preppers, you think they are nuts, they spend their life in service to the sad hope that doom strikes, BUT

it pays to be prepared, and if it's just a small effort so you have 'something, just in case'

then brilliant.

Besides, if I ever become a rich eccentric millionaire, you bet your ass I'll have some crazy ass doomsday fort in the basement :p

It's just common sense to have a 72hr bag, in case of evacuation or something. I'm working on keeping my camping gear set up so that I have food, water and something to sleep in/on in case I have to bail and it takes a couple of days for the emergency people to get themselves sorted. In seismic areas, it's more than common sense, a necessity.

In fact, just got the bag I'm going to be using for it, today. ;)

• Like 2

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Naturally, with such images poking through my head, I promptly went to bed and had apocalyptic dreams. Various kinds of decay and destruction and annihilation, either societal, personal or professional.

Could be worse, you could dream like me and have ones of being late for a British Airways flight..in 1972...with a rather odd looking blue Nokia phone.

Have to dispose of a printer, but it has my SSID/password in it. But I can't access the menu due to the toner being missing, so I have to change a buttload of wireless passwords tonight (or buy toner just to throw it out). Hm, wish a wired network was feasible (but taping ethernet cables to the wall is 'ugly' and 'silly' they say, pft.)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

This is a good idea. We've considered creating one as well. Personally, I'm not exactly sure what to put in one. All we've ever done was a bit of camping at campgrounds. Nothing much to learn from that. The only hikes we ever do are the ones you get through in one day, then come home and sleep in comfy beds.

My survival kit is a bottle of whiskey, a pistol, a shotgun, hundreds of bullets and shells, and some dried food.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I don't have a survival bug-out bag or anything else for the simple reason that I lack the working back  to carry anything heavier than a large book. Even if I did I couldn't swing anything to defend myself. In the event of such a crisis I would be completely funted. The best thing I could do would be to give my house stocks to the nearest family, and lie in wait to try and ambush at least one mob of looters with all my household chemicals mixed up in a bucket. Not a good way to go.

I'd feel worse about this, but Britain has so little food available compared with the population that if society broke down you'd witness total ravening anarchy inside 14 days.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I don't have a survival bug-out bag or anything else for the simple reason that I lack the working back  to carry anything heavier than a large book. Even if I did I couldn't swing anything to defend myself. In the event of such a crisis I would be completely funted. The best thing I could do would be to give my house stocks to the nearest family, and lie in wait to try and ambush at least one mob of looters with all my household chemicals mixed up in a bucket. Not a good way to go.

I'd feel worse about this, but Britain has so little food available compared with the population that if society broke down you'd witness total ravening anarchy inside 14 days.

You could always shove it all in your wheeled luggage. Just include an inflatable raft ... never know when you'd need it.

He could hope he stumbles across a working android and a cool car like Logan did in Logan's Run (the tv series, the robot in the movie wasn't terribly helpful and I think they walked everywhere in the movie too).

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

You could always shove it all in your wheeled luggage. Just include an inflatable raft ... never know when you'd need it.

Wheeled luggage takes up too much room on pavements. And it makes you look like a tw**. I'd rather starve.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Wheeled luggage takes up too much room on pavements. And it makes you look like a tw**. I'd rather starve.

I hear golf carts are popular alternatives... ;)

While it's kind and commendable that you are all trying to engineer my way to safety, I would remind you that even the folks who do prep are likely to get eaten by those who don't in a country with so many people, and so little arable land under cultivation.

-Elwood Blues

While it's kind and commendable that you are all trying to engineer my way to safety, I would remind you that even the folks who do prep are likely to get eaten by those who don't in a country with so many people, and so little arable land under cultivation.

Well, at least you'd have somebody trying to sneak the channel tunnel into the French direction, for a change...

My survival kit is a bottle of whiskey, a pistol, a shotgun, hundreds of bullets and shells, and some dried food.

Personally, if I were to do this, I'd probably pack just enough liquor to get well and sodding drunk, then a pistol wit one round.

Hs friends made one and bafflingly put real money in it... Because that will have intrinsic value when the world descends into an anarchic state.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Maybe it's just handy in case it's not total anarchy.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Like Malc says, it's not like New Year.

~

I've been cleaning the kitchen floor. This should be easy, but the previous owners thought a stone floor would be a good idea, and then failed to understand the most basic rules of using concrete. Streaks of cement go everywhere and the stone they used is uneven.

I have just spent most of today on my knees, scrubbing the bastard with several bottles of floor cleaner, and a wire brush. Then following up with soap and sponges.

It still looks exactly the same.

-Elwood Blues

Not to slide too far from survivial.. Just spent the day in bed, lurking in the darkness with a stabbing headache. A little bit better so I'm forcing myself up to get some food in me, drink a cup of tea, and since I'm upright run a check on mail and these forum boards..

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

That was savage of De Bruyne to attack RVP's elbow with his head.