Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update #62: Production 01 - State of the Project

Project Eternity Production 01 Brandon Adler State of the Project 10k backer Josh Sawyer Game Design

• Please log in to reply
287 replies to this topic

Contentment

Contentment

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Jillette
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Things are looking great so far, loved the update and can't wait to see more.

• Aridea likes this

ManifestedISO

ManifestedISO

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1776 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Stronghold

Tim went on a tear and got most of the backend systems for the player stronghold in place. There are a ton of really fun things you can do with your stronghold like sending companions on missions, buying rare loot off of merchants, building upgrades, and even purchasing hirelings to defend your keep from attack. Watching Tim's stronghold get robbed blind because he has low security and high prestige never gets old.

Seriously looking forward to this. Thank you for including it. 

• rjshae and Doppelschwert like this

Ieo

Ieo

White Gazebo of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1410 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm jealous of the new hires, interns or not. *sigh*

I like the conversation text style, more PST-like with textual description alongside the dialogue. Not necessarily in the typographic sense--I'll leave that to the font fiends--have y'all seen the documentary Helvetica? It's a real hoot. Available on Amazon Prime if you have it. :) And I like the surrounding old-school wood texture. At first I thought I wanted stone, like the old BG series, but wood is actually "warmer" and more inviting than stone, in a way. Hard to describe. 

That aside. I'll have to watch the video later...

• igorina and Malekith like this

Zeckul

Zeckul

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 283 posts

NGUI only uses bitmap fonts, so we'll have to adjust the kerning and other errors by hand, but we're aware of it.

Following your comment, I briefly researched the topic; Unity itself supports dynamically sized fonts (http://docs.unity3d....class-Font.html), perhaps it's possible to modify NGUI to take advantage of that. EDIT: some effort was already made to that effect (http://forum.unity3d...upport-for-NGUI)

One way or another, fonts should scale with resolution to some degree; after all you'll be supporting resolutions from 720p to 1440p at least.

Edited by Zeckul, 20 August 2013 - 06:55 PM.

• mstark likes this

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

And I like the surrounding old-school wood texture. At first I thought I wanted stone, like the old BG series, but wood is actually "warmer" and more inviting than stone, in a way. Hard to describe.

Agreed. Although, I think I'd like to see more natural/grown type visuals and less synthetic-styled stuff. In general... not specifically in the dialogue UI. Think tree-trunk instead of carpentered table. Or, a combo could work, I suppose.

I dunno. I know it's silly, but sometimes, the excessive amount of tool-crafted look/feel kinda makes the UI feel a lot more like it's intruding in the screen. Like it doesn't really belong, but someone installed it by hand.

Hormalakh

Hormalakh

Lone Locust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1981 posts
What does this mean in regards to the sate of the vertical slice? Do you be on to production before or after the VS is finished?

Zed

Zed

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:no
  • Xbox Gamertag:lol, no
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Great job! Sounds like you've been very busy!

As always, I have an "entitled gamer god what's wrong with him" edit of the UI bit :D

WARNING: extreme nitpicking.

10109.jpg

Ignore the suggestion in yellow text if the scrollbar has an exact click-somewhere-on-the-scrolline-scroll in which case it wouldn't really serve a purpose.

• silvercross, DCParry, IndiraLightfoot and 1 other like this

igorina

igorina

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 18 posts

Interesting update. I am very excited about the creatures and curious about armor sets -  I'd love to see them :)
And (I really have to say it) the cat on the video is awesome ;)

curryinahurry

curryinahurry

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Stronghold sounds like it is off to a great start; I really like the idea of being able to send your companions on missions.  My question is, will we be allowed to play through these missions as our companions (possibly leading a group of npc hirelings, or in tandem), or will the mission events be reported back to the PC?  

Edited by curryinahurry, 20 August 2013 - 07:35 PM.

Wombat

Wombat

Obsidian Order's Mysterious Stranger

• Members
  • 1050 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Stronghold

Tim went on a tear and got most of the backend systems for the player stronghold in place. There are a ton of really fun things you can do with your stronghold like sending companions on missions, buying rare loot off of merchants, building upgrades, and even purchasing hirelings to defend your keep from attack. Watching Tim's stronghold get robbed blind because he has low security and high prestige never gets old.

How tolerant this stronghold thing will be if I spend my time on exclusively adventuring?  In Xcom: Enemy Unknown, I ignored base management and ended up with losing cities, which are not reversible-once lost they are gone forever.  In fact, I made a typical mistake as an RPGamer in that game by completely ignoring resource management gameplay.  Eventually, I managed to hold my hands on controlling resources enough to proceed the game but bit annoyed by the fact the game didn't allow me to play it in my own way:  Simply piling up tactical successes and build characters were not enough to let me proceed the game.  I know we are talking of different games, though.

Edited by Wombat, 20 August 2013 - 08:05 PM.

• Michael_Galt likes this

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Kickstarter Backer

Thanks for a production update guys. Further ahead than I thought you would be already :)

I like the conversation UI - I wonder though does it support NPC (speaker) portraits, as in when you speak to an NPC who has a portrait - where is their portrait placed ? Is it like the IE games where it goes next to their name?

I'm not 100% sure about the light blue color of player responses. The IE games had red, and it was very clear from the get-go and a very distinct color. Does the IE red not look very good on your UI background?

A sharper color might be a better idea, but it's a minor complaint overall.

Does the conversation UI take up say "half" the vertical screen like it does in the IE games? If not where is it placed?

Adam Brennecke

Adam Brennecke

Programmer

• Developers
  • 454 posts

What does this mean in regards to the sate of the vertical slice? Do you be on to production before or after the VS is finished?

The vertical slice is finished and has been for some time. We are in production right now.

• lolaldanee, rjshae, ultimis and 2 others like this

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm not 100% sure about the light blue color of player responses. The IE games had red, and it was very clear from the get-go and a very distinct color. Does the IE red not look very good on your UI background?

For what it's worth, red-on-black is a very bad idea. I realize the text may not be just-plain-red, and the background isn't exactly black, but... well, let's just say it's awfully close to a bad idea. :)

Of course, I can't, for the life of me, remember what color the background is for the dialogue options in BG. I played it not a week ago... And yes, for what it's worth, they were readable. I'm not saying it CAN'T be done. But, red is actually a very, surprisingly dark color. If you put all the colors on the color wheel side-by-side, then greyscale that image, red is awfully close to black in terms of value. It's a wee bit better on a glowing screen than in ink-on-paper format. But, still...

The vertical slice is finished and has been for some time. We are in production right now.

I am amongst those who were clueless to this fact. Last I heard was "we're finishing up our VS right now," which I took to mean "We're working on the VS, while currently being at the tail end of its overall project duration." I didn't realize it got do'd. :) So... SPLENDTASTIC! ^_____^

Edited by Lephys, 20 August 2013 - 07:51 PM.

Sensuki

Sensuki

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

For what it's worth, red-on-black is a very bad idea. I realize the text may not be just-plain-red, and the background isn't exactly black, but... well, let's just say it's awfully close to a bad idea. :)

Of course, I can't, for the life of me, remember what color the background is for the dialogue options in BG. I played it not a week ago...

Google is your friend if you can't remember.

BG2 did have red on black and IMO it looked very good.

5-BG2SoAch12019.jpg

Also also Red.

hqdefault.jpg
chat.jpg
portal.jpg

No big deal though I guess. It's not that it looks bad or anything.

Edited by Sensuki, 20 August 2013 - 07:59 PM.

• Cultist and Sarex like this

Stiffkittin

Stiffkittin

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Great update. Super-informative as ususal.

The conversation UI is absolutely gorgeous. Reminds me of how much I loved Icewind Dale's UI over all the Infinity Engine games and I'm profoundly happy you're revisiting it here.

I'd agree with a previous suggestion about formatting description text differently. I love reading it and miss it in recent crpgs but it should definitely stand apart more than just dialogue printed without quotation marks. Italics, brackets and/or different colored text and then just drop the speech marks maybe?

Also I would really like to see the portrait of the person you're actually talking to. Even if it's a generic one, It creates a connection with the conversation you don't get from the pixelated little person in-game and I find it helps me engage with the fiction of the conversation.

Thanks again and keep up the great work!

• Savvy30039 likes this

Sensuki

Sensuki

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

filler-gfx

Good point I guess. Although Icewind Dale 2 used repeat marble patterns in the convo UI, something that make the criss-cross pattern not stand out as a blatant copy/pasta would be good too, whether it be something as simple as swapping the grain of the wood on the tiles.

Wombat

Wombat

Obsidian Order's Mysterious Stranger

• Members
  • 1050 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I am amongst those who were clueless to this fact. Last I heard was "we're finishing up our VS right now," which I took to mean "We're working on the VS, while currently being at the tail end of its overall project duration." I didn't realize it got do'd. :) So... SPLENDTASTIC! ^_____^

Oh, but they explained what the vertical slice is in a past update…I admit I didn't know it had ended while back but, reading the title of this update was good enough indicator.  In any case, I've gotten an impression that it would be more beneficial to both ends (designers and backers) to let the designers concentrate on what they are working on till they come up with something to show off, probably except that some of us have really good ideas.

curryinahurry

curryinahurry

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Red text is usually always a bad choice as it is notoriously difficulty to compress in both jpeg and video.  Also, it could be an issue for people with color-blindness.  The red text in IE games was pretty awful.

• rjshae likes this

Sensuki

Sensuki

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Oh yeah, what about quests in those Defiance Bay areas that take you to areas that aren't created yet ? Do you have the first node ie. Quest giver implemented and then put a note somewhere to come back to it when the other areas are done?

AW8

AW8

Shadow Assassin of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Cadegund startled the Wicht!
  • Cthulchulain likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Project Eternity, Production 01, Brandon Adler, State of the Project, 10k backer, Josh Sawyer, Game Design

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users