Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update #62: Production 01 - State of the Project

Project Eternity Production 01 Brandon Adler State of the Project 10k backer Josh Sawyer Game Design

• Please log in to reply
287 replies to this topic

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

Vorpal Panzerfaust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 6720 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:MonteCarlo
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

By Brandon Adler, Producer

Stronghold
Tim went on a tear and got most of the backend systems for the player stronghold in place. There are a ton of really fun things you can do with your stronghold like sending companions on missions, buying rare loot off of merchants, building upgrades, and even purchasing hirelings to defend your keep from attack. Watching Tim's stronghold get robbed blind because he has low security and high prestige never gets old.

These all sound great. I was wondering though about the "sending companions on missions" activity. Are these separate adventures that we, as the players, will be able to play using just the companions? Or do these missions get completed based upon some internal formula? Thanks.

Hopefully we can send NPCs we don't like on suicide missions.

• tox1c5lug, JFSOCC and Messier-31 like this

Messier-31

Messier-31

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2245 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Hear, hear! :D

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5386 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Hello.

I would only like to chime in to ask the developers to please, please, please not use italics inappropriately—and using them for descriptive text counts as (highly) inappropriate.

I understand and appreciate people's desire to separate descriptive/action text from spoken lines, but italics are not the way. As explained in this book (among others; this is the first example that came to my mind), italics are a punctuation mark that serves the purpose to emphasize text; but if everything is emphasized within a given text, nothing is. It ensues that the (ab)use of italics for descriptive/action text is gratuitously ungrammatical, and it makes the text itself harder to read. It's like the loudness war of written text (well, not really: Written text never experienced anything similar to the loudness war, but the results are the same—something that is harder for our brain to process).

In light of the above, I reinstate my request to look into alternatives to italics if you want to separate descriptive/action text from spoken lines.

• cdx, Malekith and soulburner like this

JFSOCC

JFSOCC

Mentor & Student of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2255 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Our two new Design Interns - Matt and Ryan - have been filling in the areas with smaller quests and NPCs. It is really starting to make the city feel alive.

I'm very curious what these smaller quests and NPC's look like. I hope no 'rats in the basement' or 'fetch me three orc skulls' and the like.
I hope every quest, even the small ones, have a proper amount of attention spent on them.

when you mention smaller quests, do you mean that these are quests with little to no world reactivity upon completion?

mstark

mstark

Oblivious of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 553 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Not sure I like the sound of 'smaller quests'. I can't remember such a thing as a 'smaller quest' in Baldur's Gate 2, but maybe I just don't remember them. Or maybe rescuing Aerie in Waukeen's Promenade counts as a small quest? In that case, give me plenty of 'em :).

Oh, Waukeen's Promenade... http://www.youtube.c...h?v=lcHnqodZoJM

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5075 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Smaller quests == side quests

was my interpretation. Pretty normal stuff for a CRPG; I didn't sense a cause for concern.

Presumably the smaller quests may help with faction approval, and provide a reason for exploration and interaction in settled areas. Hopefully a handful of these smaller quests will later tie back into the main quest in some subtle manner.

• Ineth likes this

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9163 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

One thing I really dislike and I'm seeing a lot of in my play through of IWD II is the over use of the asterix. Please for the love of god, don't use the * around words. We're not idiots and do get the emphasis on words. It's annoying as heck. :yucky: 

Maybe they were worried italics - commonly used for emphasis in text - would be too hard to read in whatever font they were using.

I don't see anything *wrong* with asteriks, tho ... they don't *bother* me *personally*, but it *can* become visually irritating if they're used *toooo* often. *Especially* in short-form convo/story-telling snippets like is often used in gaming.

I feel the same way about the over use of exclamation points. Like if there's one at the end of every sentence! To show how upset or angry someone is! Or that they're shouting! Exclamation points should be infrequently used! imo!

• Ieo, rjshae, cdx and 1 other like this

Ineth

Ineth

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 643 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Maybe they were worried italics - commonly used for emphasis in text - would be too hard to read in whatever font they were using

Nah, the Infinity Engine simply didn't support it.

PE on the other hand, being a new game developed in 2013, likely will.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5075 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

By Brandon Adler, Producer

Stronghold
Tim went on a tear and got most of the backend systems for the player stronghold in place. There are a ton of really fun things you can do with your stronghold like sending companions on missions, buying rare loot off of merchants, building upgrades, and even purchasing hirelings to defend your keep from attack. Watching Tim's stronghold get robbed blind because he has low security and high prestige never gets old.

These all sound great. I was wondering though about the "sending companions on missions" activity. Are these separate adventures that we, as the players, will be able to play using just the companions? Or do these missions get completed based upon some internal formula? Thanks.

Then have them defect and join the other side. Bwahahahaha...

Stun

Stun

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2857 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Maybe they were worried italics - commonly used for emphasis in text - would be too hard to read in whatever font they were using

Nah, the Infinity Engine simply didn't support it.

Yep. Same thing with Bold (which is what the astricks around words in the IE games was supposed to signify.)

Edited by Stun, 26 August 2013 - 05:17 PM.

Hiro Protagonist II

Hiro Protagonist II

Ysbryd rhydd of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2582 posts

Maybe they were worried italics - commonly used for emphasis in text - would be too hard to read in whatever font they were using.

I don't see anything *wrong* with asteriks, tho ... they don't *bother* me *personally*, but it *can* become visually irritating if they're used *toooo* often. *Especially* in short-form convo/story-telling snippets like is often used in gaming.

I feel the same way about the over use of exclamation points. Like if there's one at the end of every sentence! To show how upset or angry someone is! Or that they're shouting! Exclamation points should be infrequently used! imo!

It isn't needed. I can read a book without the author resorting to these gimmicks. So I don't understand why game developers have to use them.

• Malekith likes this

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

It isn't needed. I can read a book without the author resorting to these gimmicks. So I don't understand why game developers have to use them.

You can read a book without punctuation too much of the time it's still important though a cat is quite fluffy

:)

The point being that there's a huge difference between "I never accused her of anything!" and "I never accused her of anything!". Those two sentences actually have two different meanings.

One is very specifically stressing the falsehood of the action, and the other stresses the falsehood of the target of action. I.e. "I did something to her, but it certainly wasn't accusation," and "I accused someone, but it certainly wasn't her."

Sure it's not necessary, but it certainly helps to represent inflection in dialogue that people actually use that would otherwise go unrepresented.

Edited by Lephys, 26 August 2013 - 07:04 PM.

• Ieo, rjshae, TrashMan and 2 others like this

Hiro Protagonist II

Hiro Protagonist II

• Members
  • 2582 posts

You can read a book without punctuation too much of the time it's still important though a cat is quite fluffy

:)

The point being that there's a huge difference between "I never accused her of anything!" and "I never accused her of anything!". Those two sentences actually have two different meanings.

One is very specifically stressing the falsehood of the action, and the other stresses the falsehood of the target of action. I.e. "I did something to her, but it certainly wasn't accusation," and "I accused someone, but it certainly wasn't her."

Sure it's not necessary, but it certainly helps to represent inflection in dialogue that people actually use that would otherwise go unrepresented.

Must be a new thing for people these days. Tsk, tsk. The decline of education in our schools.  Authors for centuries didn't need to do this.

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Must be a new thing for people these days. Tsk, tsk. The decline of education in our schools.  Authors for centuries didn't need to do this.

The decline of education in our schools is responsible for the awareness of the difference between claims of benefit and claims of necessity? That seems an odd truth...

Also, yes... italics is totally a new thing. It was invented by robot computers, and not by typesetters hundreds of years ago. You got me.
  • rjshae and TrashMan like this

Hiro Protagonist II

Hiro Protagonist II

• Members
  • 2582 posts

The decline of education in our schools is responsible for the awareness of the difference between claims of benefit and claims of necessity? That seems an odd truth...

Also, yes... italics is totally a new thing. It was invented by robot computers, and not by typesetters hundreds of years ago. You got me.

So when I pick up a book and can read it without the italics, the asterixs, the dashs and everything else to emphasize certain words, then clearly the author got it wrong. Lephys says so.

Sedrefilos

Sedrefilos

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2060 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The only thing I want to say (an this is the 3rd or 4th time i'm saying it) is that the letters (in the conversation box) ARE SOOOOOOO SMALL AGAIN!!

Plz guyz do something about that! This is so annoying in IE games!

Ineth

Ineth

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 643 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The only thing I want to say (an this is the 3rd or 4th time i'm saying it) is that the letters (in the conversation box) ARE SOOOOOOO SMALL AGAIN!!

The pic in the update is a downscaled version of the screenshot they took... Click it to open the original screenshot, in which the letters look much bigger.

Those games were designed for 640x480 and 800x600 resolution (+ experimental support for 1024x768 in case of BG2 and IWD2).

If you play them on your modern 2560x1440 monitor and use the fan-contributed widescreen mod/hack to force the use of the native screen resolution, you can't blame the game designers if things end up looking small... :)

Personally I prefer to play those games at 800x600 or 1024x768 even today - it will look slightly blurry on modern flat-screen displays (because those have a fixed physical pixel size so resolution down-scaling has to be faked via resampling), but it's not that bad.

Ineth

Ineth

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 643 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Books can use a lot more (continuous) text to describe a given situation, compared to a cRPG in which the writers have to stick to short dialogue lines and descriptive snippets.

Thus book authors can much more easily rely on context/repetition/redundancy/annotation to get the intended meaning of sentences across.

In a cRPG individual lines have to be much more self-explanatory, thus the aforementioned "gimmicks" come into use.

Edited by Ineth, 27 August 2013 - 03:53 AM.

• rjshae likes this

Stun

Stun

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2857 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Just a note w/ regards to text size and screen resolution, the GoG version of all the IE games features adequately resized screen resolutions - meaning you won't have a problem with tiny text, or having to play in windowed mode or any other such nonsense.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5075 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Books can use a lot more (continuous) text to describe a given situation, compared to a cRPG in which the writers have to stick to short dialogue lines and descriptive snippets.

Thus book authors can much more easily rely on context/repetition/redundancy/annotation to get the intended meaning of sentences across.

In a cRPG individual lines have to be much more self-explanatory, thus the aforementioned "gimmicks" come into use.

Agreed. However, I regularly see out of copyright books using italics for the aforementioned purpose. It's not just a recent gimmick intended for new millennium slackers. It can be overused, but when it is use properly it is beneficial for communicating tone. ;)

Edited by rjshae, 27 August 2013 - 07:02 AM.

• Ieo likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Project Eternity, Production 01, Brandon Adler, State of the Project, 10k backer, Josh Sawyer, Game Design

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users