A Little Good News

LadyCrimson

I'd be the first to say that I'm as cynical as they come, but sometimes I tire of all the "world sucks" news stories and whatnot that seem to prevail. So here's a thread for posting the more positive human interest, inspirational etc. news stories you may happen across while surfing the 'net. They don't need to be "big" stories, only that they inspire, affirm, or otherwise touched us in some positive fashion.

As Anne Murray once sang - I sure could use, a little good news, today.

• Like 3
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Man Born Without Hands Is Engineer for NASCAR's Most Winning Organization (video on website)

Richie Parker, 30, grew up with a chorus of doubters telling him what he couldn't do without hands - ride a bike, drive a car or find a good job. But Parker never listened, and today he drives his own car and is a respected engineer for NASCAR's most winning organization, Hendrick Motorsports.

"Every step of the way in life there have been people who say I can't do things. Said that I couldn't ride a bicycle, there have been people who said that I couldn't live on my own. Couldn't get a good job and support myself or I couldn't go to college and graduate," the inspiring engineer told ESPN in a recent interview.

"I don't listen too much to people when they tell me I can't do something. There's not a whole lot that's gonna stand in my way," says the man who takes pleasure in solving engineering challenges.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

...while positivity ain't really me forte, why the hells not:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2395996/Good-news-podgy-parents-Babies-prefer-fathers-cuddly-chubby-bodies-muscular-ones.html

...good news fer tubby older Dads like meself, anyways... :dancing:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

Positive isn't my forte either, although I do try to keep a positive attitude overall, even when I'm being cynical. ;)

Pilots Turn Plane Around After Take-Off to Pick Up 11-Year Cancer Patient From Terminal

Oh and ... if you like your beer at the beach, perhaps in the future one won't have to worry as much about dehydration and hangovers.

Hydrating Beer Cures Hangovers After Australian Scientists Add Electrolytes to Ale

Positive isn't my forte either, although I do try to keep a positive attitude overall, even when I'm being cynical. ;)

Pilots Turn Plane Around After Take-Off to Pick Up 11-Year Cancer Patient From Terminal

And don't ever stop trying to be positive!  It can be easy to be cynical, but a little positivity can go a long way.  Especially in these times. 

You know what they say, in the darkest of times, it's your time to shine brightest!  Or something like that.  :p

But Lady C we often discuss politics and those threads are positive and interesting?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I had a mischievous thought regarding good news yesterday.

The UK is witnessing its lowest ever rates of crime in a bunch of areas. I don't necessarily believe the stats for any specific one. But the streets are certainly safer than they were 80-100 years ago.

And we also have record numbers of people living here not born in the UK, or born to foreign nationals.

I think there might be a cheeky trend afoot. :skeptical::lol:

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I had a mischievous thought regarding good news yesterday.

The UK is witnessing its lowest ever rates of crime in a bunch of areas. I don't necessarily believe the stats for any specific one. But the streets are certainly safer than they were 80-100 years ago.

And we also have record numbers of people living here not born in the UK, or born to foreign nationals.

I think there might be a cheeky trend afoot. :skeptical::lol:

That would be interesting if there was a valid connection :biggrin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Wals, chalk that up to GB's world-leading CCTV coverage. Practically every corner in London has at least one video camera watching you. :geek:  

That, dear boy, is because I'm just so damn pretty.

• Like 2

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Wals, chalk that up to GB's world-leading CCTV coverage. Practically every corner in London has at least one video camera watching you. :geek:  

That, dear boy, is because I'm just so damn pretty.

:lol:

John Milton 

And don't ever stop trying to be positive!  It can be easy to be cynical, but a little positivity can go a long way.  Especially in these times. 

You know what they say, in the darkest of times, it's your time to shine brightest!  Or something like that.  :p

Pft, hope is a weakness.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Pft, hope is a weakness.

You're a real "I've been half eaten by a polar bear," Kind of guy, aren't you?

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

Pft, hope is a weakness.

That would depend on which half, wouldn't it?   ;)   

I see my presence went unnoticed.  Pretty much what I expected though.  :p

Pft, hope is a weakness.

Christ on a biscuit. 1600+ posts? Who are you, man? [/goon held by Batman]

Edited by Walsingham

-Elwood Blues

Christ on a biscuit. 1600+ posts? Who are you, man? [/goon held by Batman]

Yeah, I guess I should answer shouldn't I?  I used to post here waaaaaay back in the day A LOT.  Of course those were the days of Metadigital, pixies, gabs, visceris (who I see has passed, unfortunately), etc... So we're talking ancient history. 

You might remember me as the overzealous Christian named Mothman.   ;)

All the KOTOR 2 restoration mods and playing Fallout made me think of this place, thus I decided to drop in and see how much the community's changed.  But it's nice to see some of the old faces are still around.

Edited by Dark Moth

Cool. I wondered what happened to Mothman. Good to see you back.

-Elwood Blues

Cool. I wondered what happened to Mothman. Good to see you back.

Oh quit yer lyin!!

Lol seriously though, good to see you too.  I also see Calax and Krookie are lurking about.  Anyway, life happened (college, grad work), but I still thought I'd drop in and say hi in a hopefully-not-too-awkward manner.  Bloody shame about Visceris though.  Poor guy had a lot going on. 

Oh and yes, I'm still Christian.  But I'd like to think I've matured a lot since those days of getting into internet battles left and right.  :p

Absence makes the heart grow fonder, as they say.

~

Police in Balochistan successfully seize more than 115 tonnes of bomb making material in two raids.

-Elwood Blues

Burglars Return Stolen Computers to Nonprofit - Along With Apology Note

Burglars who stole computers from an office building returned the items – along with a letter of apology – after apparently realizing they had ransacked a nonprofit that helps victims of sexual violence.

(note text)

"We had no idea what we were takeing. Here your stuff back we hope that you guys can continue to make a difference in peoples live. God bless," said the note with misspellings.