Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Cultural equipment.

cultures equipment designs armour weapons

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2902 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
These images...they seem a little too...medieval? Where are the matchlock and sabre wielding dandies with plumed hats?
  • Protection likes this

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

These images...they seem a little too...medieval? Where are the matchlock and sabre wielding dandies with plumed hats?

... BEHOLD!!!

http://forums.obsidi...a-plea-part-iv/

(There should be a chain of links to the previous 3 threads in that succession.)
  • Leferd likes this

Karranthain

Karranthain

Huscarl of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1214 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

That's a good point actually.

So.. let's tie it to character generation phase instead?
If you pick weapon proficiencies in when creating your character, it's assumed you trained with the gear of your culture
and will then get the minor extra bonuses when using equipment from your own culture.

And I'm thinking minor stuff. Like, you're skilled with a longsword.
You can also fight with a saber, but not quite as well.
But if you happen to get your hands on a damascus steel saber,  it's time to toss that old longsword.

You beat me to replying to JFSOCC's post, heh. I'll go a tad farther, though, and propose that you get to PICK a cultural specialization (or none), very similar to D&D Wizards picking a magic school specialization, or going universal.

You'd still have cultural factors that could not be swapped, but maybe you happened to train with another culture's equipment style. That seems a lot more like a preference thing. Like a modern Westerner preferring to study eastern swordplay, etc.

Just a supplementary idea/possibility. I'm not at all trying to supplant your ideas, Jarmo. The getting hold of a significantly superior saber example is spot on, whether or not the cultural equipment affinity is fixed or selective.

That could be interesting. Let's say that you chose the Aedyran cultural background, but you'd really rather use weapons popular in Dyrwood - I think that'd probably have to be a more expensive option. After all, you'd most likely have to train on your own etc.

But that'd make for an interesting choice at the character creation, definitely.

Karranthain

Karranthain

• Members
  • 1214 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

To recapitulate : 

It is my hope that Obsidian will employ a "show, don't tell" approach when it comes to cultures. While I do enjoy reading various lore snippets, whether they're scattered around the world in the form of books, written in a journal/codex or even delivered by a NPC (though that can be bit cumbersome at times - i.e. exposition dumps), I'd rather see it done more elegantly.

E.g.

Being well-travelled merchant people, the citizens of the Vailian city states value style over substance and like to let everyone know that they're wealthy. Their armies consist mainly of well-paid mercenaries, who tend to uphold the same values when it comes to fashion. Vailians are known to be strong individualists. Most regard them as scheming and duplicitous people.

645_max.jpg

1. When you fight them, you'll often face duellists, who fight with little regard for actual tactics.

2. Their architecture is quite bombastic and not very practical.

3. Vailian citizens often wear cloaks, concealing weapons underneath them (cloak & dagger).

4. Due to the reliance on slaves, their level of technological advancement is somewhat low.

5. The mercenaries employed by the Vailians use very elaborate clothing and armour.

6. Most citizens carry rapiers and pistols and have had at least rudimentary training in their use.

7. The Vailian fashion is a mixture of various cultural designs (some of them very exotic).

Just the simplest examples of what stories could be told through the equipment, architecture, tactics etc.

• Oner, Nonek, Jarmo and 4 others like this

JFSOCC

JFSOCC

Mentor & Student of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2255 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Now I kind of wish Karranthain would write for P:E because I'm digging your Vailians.
  • Oner, Jarmo and IndiraLightfoot like this

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
We could petition for him to join the team. Even if it doesn't work, it would surely be a... Vailiant effort. 8)
  • JFSOCC likes this

Karranthain

Karranthain

• Members
  • 1214 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Even if it doesn't work, it would surely be a... Vailiant effort. 8)

:teehee:

Greensleeve

Greensleeve

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 416 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

We could petition for him to join the team. Even if it doesn't work, it would surely be a... Vailiant effort. 8)

Lephys and his puns... We'll never get rid of them will we? (I'll admit to a chuckle though)

I very much agree with cultural equipment though. It's one of the things I greatly enjoy about Morrowind, where the difference between Dunmer, Imperial, and Nordic equipment are very noticeable and very cool. 

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5521 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

These forums is a better place thanks to Lephys' lovely puns. So, keep the punfactory churning, L!  :)

And Karranthain, you get us all in full PE-mode already. Thank you for that!

Messier-31

Messier-31

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2236 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Speaking of cultures.... sorry if there is an answer somewhere on this board, but does anybody know are there some sort of distant cultural connections in the game? Stories, items, npc's and such? Warhammer, Forgotten Realms etc. had their equivalent (sort of) for East Europe, China, Japan, Araby, Mezoamericans. How much of the world is explored and what is the knowledge of other distant cultures in Dyrwood?

Karranthain

Karranthain

• Members
  • 1214 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Speaking of cultures.... sorry if there is an answer somewhere on this board, but does anybody know are there some sort of distant cultural connections in the game? Stories, items, npc's and such? Warhammer, Forgotten Realms etc. had their equivalent (sort of) for East Europe, China, Japan, Araby, Mezoamericans. How much of the world is explored and what is the knowledge of other distant cultures in Dyrwood?

Glanfathans seem to be influenced by the Celtic culture; Vailians are most likely modeled after Italian city-states. Granted, we don't know that much about PE's cultures just yet.

• JFSOCC likes this

motorizer

motorizer

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 260 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I always felt this was a bit of a cliche, all fantasy RPGs seem to have distant cultures that are the same as our distant cultures.

And it's never done the other way round, I've never seen a game set in a medieval japanese influenced culture where european stuff is there, but rare and exotic.

Karranthain

Karranthain

• Members
  • 1214 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Now I kind of wish Karranthain would write for P:E because I'm digging your Vailians.

Just found a nice rendition of how a Vailian duellist could look like :

estalian_duelist_by_knightinflames-d5jnv

Edited by Karranthain, 19 September 2013 - 02:05 AM.

• Oner and JFSOCC like this

mcmanusaur

mcmanusaur

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 602 posts

I don't think it is logical to assume all dyrwoodians or all vailians would have received some basic training in the same weapons. That's like saying all Americans would be better at using the M16 over the AK74 because it is an American weapon and the AK is Russian. I'm sure there are many Americans who don't know how to even hold a weapon, let alone have a preference for a make or model.

That said, I would not be surprised to see more M16's used in the US than AK74's, because it is an American weapon. So more of specific types of weapons found within a culture, absolutely cool and logical, people somehow being better at using them because of their cultural background, no.

"But how can this exist in an RPG unless there's some gamist motivation for caring about it?"

Greensleeve

Greensleeve

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 416 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Just found a nice rendition of how a Vailian duellist could look like :

estalian_duelist_by_knightinflames-d5jnv

That is a quite lovely idea for Vailian skirmisher/duellist. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cultures, equipment, designs, armour, weapons

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users