Space Hulk - review

Walsingham

Just a quick one. Figure several of youse will weigh in, in due course.

Intent

Replicate the Board Game of Space Hulk. A good game, but not terribly exciting intent. 7/10

Single Player experience

Played 5 missions in sequence, no need for replays. Most mechanics explained as they arose, all very workmanlike. 7/10

Multiplayer

Signing up for it multiplayer was relatively easy. But you have to use an email address to find friends, which is a bit crap. Currently there is no support for using Steam to hookup. However, setup was fast and going head to head was definitely interesting. 9/10

Quirks

Few surprises so far. Cracking a marine defensive line is more fun than I thought it would be. 8/10

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Based on that, not worth $30.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Thanks for the info Wals.

I was affraid it might not be too exciting. I think I'll wait a while. If multiplayer isn't all that user friendly and I am restricted to playing with people from my friend list, then I may not get much of a chance to enjoy the game ;)

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

So, is it a faithful adaption?

It sounds from this and the few other impressions I get is mainly that it doesn't take advantage of the medium. It's still just a boardgame. That may end up being a mileage varies issue as the boardgame can get expensive.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'm sad to hear this, as it casts some doubt on their Kickstarter project, Jagged Alliance Flashback.  Still at least it isn't unplayable or anything.  

Huh.  The review sounded pretty positive I thought.  A solid game, for a pretty cheap price of $30 with fun multiplayer?

The primary reason why I didn't pick it up is because EU4 has consumed me.  It is on the wishlist though.

Also worth noting that there are only 12 missions not counting the three tutorials. They've said they're going to add a co-op campaign and also add more missions as and when they release new chapters, so I look forward to that so long as they aren't intending to milk & dime for it. 

I don't want to discourage anyone from buying this. IAnyone who was a fan of the boardgame probably should buy.

I haven't found any bugs, and while the GUI has 'soft suspension' and wallows during scrolling (to look cinematic), that's the SUM TOTAL of problems I've encountered. Multiplayer was solid.

However, people who are new should ask themselves how they got on with (for example) Blood Bowl.

There is a mountain of IP sitting disused offline for this game and setting. If it generates a fanbase then you WILL see more weapons, material and missions. Full stop.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

A lot of GW IPs seem to be getting fairly good video game adaptations.

I seriously disliked the commentators in Blood Bowl, otherwise that was a pretty solid game.

The Talisman game is a very good adaptation of the board game as well.

edit:

Here is keeping my fingers crossed for Necromunda and Gorka Morka :p

Edited by melkathi

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Oooh. Now necromunda would be an interesting game. rejig it like it's a kind of X-Com maybe?

-Elwood Blues

Well it is a small unit tactics game, so it could indeed borrow from that franchise.

I would love it with a wierd kind of randomly made 3D turn based strategy map, where you could explore and expand into adjacent parts of the underhive, while other gangs do the same. With a number of premade gangs for the AI to throw a number of them at you each game.

My bf's brother has been wishing for a Necromunda game on PC for years.

Oooh. Now necromunda would be an interesting game. rejig it like it's a kind of X-Com maybe?

As far as Space Hulk goes, I believe my bf installed it via Steam last night, so I'll take a peek over his shoulder later on. 

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

RPS tore into it pretty heavilly. Based on this, I'm actually pretty glad that I did'nt kickstart Jagged Alliance...

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

RPS tore into it pretty heavilly. Based on this, I'm actually pretty glad that I did'nt kickstart Jagged Alliance...

Most of the criticism seems t obe that you aren't in a room with your opponent, drinking beer. I get that. But is it relevant?

No.

-Elwood Blues

He does go off on that tangent, but I read it more as the pacing of the combat is off and that the game is bug-ridden.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

The launch trailer is funny, the BAs committed their entire chapter ? Although it appears this is from the source material, is still amusing in-universe :)

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'd have gone for a Devil May Cry/Bayonetta-style game that featured the Harlequins.

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

A lot of GW IPs seem to be getting fairly good video game adaptations.

I seriously disliked the commentators in Blood Bowl, otherwise that was a pretty solid game.

The Talisman game is a very good adaptation of the board game as well.

edit:

Here is keeping my fingers crossed for Necromunda and Gorka Morka :p

There was a Gorka Morka game around 2000. :p

Guessing Gorkamorka didn't turn out so well? Another idea to throw into the hat would be a new Space Crusade. 

That GorkaMorka game did so well, people have forgotten it exists (as you can tell ;) )

I'd have gone for a Devil May Cry/Bayonetta-style game that featured the Harlequins.

Now here's a man thinking with his imagination.

Much as I hate to admit it, console gamers would wet themselves if you could get the fluidity of the eldar into a game.

-Elwood Blues