The funny things thread

LadyCrimson

A not suitable for work, chauvinistic, and over the top new Oculus Rift commercial.

I'm sure this is going to make a lot of 15 year old kids begging their mothers for one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUIqLScp4V0

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Removed on the US YouTube as well (not just "advisory", but removed), so I'd guess in that case it wouldn't have been acceptable on this forum, either. :p

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

What's wrong with that joke ? They didn't see their conquerors coming, etc. har har. About as funny as most stuff here.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The Mayan civilization fell apart well before the Spanish ever arrived.  There is little evidence as to why, but many of cities had been abandoned for centuries.  

The Aztec were in power when the Spanish made it to Central America.  And they did have a prophecy about a pale god returning from the East in the same year that Cortez marched to Tenochtitlan, but it is disputed how much the Aztec people really believed that. 

Honestly I thought the Mayan stuff was pretty common knowledge, especially after all the 2012 prophecy hullabaloo.

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 1

The Mayan civilization fell apart well before the Spanish ever arrived.  There is little evidence as to why, but many of cities had been abandoned for centuries.  

The Aztec were in power when the Spanish made it to Central America.  And they did have a prophecy about a pale god returning from the East in the same year that Cortez marched to Tenochtitlan, but it is disputed how much the Aztec people really believed that. 

Honestly I thought the Mayan stuff was pretty common knowledge, especially after all the 2012 prophecy hullabaloo.

I feel obliged to raise my hand here. I can never remember which is which either.

Besides, wasn't t Mayan prediction based on the behaviour of the Sun, which is a reasonable thing to try and predict?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Only the southern lowlands.  The northern lowlands in the Yucatan continued to flourish for hundreds of years.  The area subsequently devolved in 16 provinces ruled by warring city states until they were conquered by the Spanish.   The last recognized Maya stronghold fell, that of the Itza capital of Tayasal on Lake Petén Itzá, in 1697 over 180 years after their arrival.

See

The Spanish Conquest of Yucatán (1526-46) (1999), http://www.athenapub.com/yuconq1.htm

Coe, Michael D.  (1987) The Maya

Robert Stoner Chamberlain (1948). The Conquest and Colonization of Yucatan, 1517-1550

Edit:  Some historians theorized that fall of the south may have been due to severe droughts.

Edited by kgambit
  • Like 2

Things people get upset over. Didn't recall that the Maya died out from ways other than European steel though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The Mayan prediction also really isn't necessarily an apocalyptic one, but I get the humor behind that, since it is the end of their calendar and something major was expected.

But the joke simply falls flat with me.  Sure, there were still independent Mayan city-states in the north, but they were a far cry from the classical Mayan civilization that built places like Chichen Itza.  

Is that kind of humour like the "Homeland Security, Protecting America from Foreign invasion since 15xx" captions on pictures of Native American warriors?

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

"Don't trust Atoms. They make up everything."

Isn't that from the robot butler in Fallout?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

"Don't trust Atoms. They make up everything."

Isn't that from the robot butler in Fallout?

Hm, I can't remember. It was also a sign outside of a garage.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

cut and pasted from elsewhere

I was at home the other night in the middle of my dinner when the phone rang. 

ME: Hello. 

AT&T: Hello, this is AT&T. 

ME: Is this AT&T. 

AT&T: Yes, this is AT&T … 

ME: This is AT&T. 

ME: Is this AT&T.? 

AT&T: Yes! This is AT&T, may I speak to Mr. Byron, please? 

ME: May I ask who is calling? 

AT&T: This is AT&T. 

ME: OK, hold on. 

At this point I put the phone down for a solid 5 minutes thinking that, surely, this person would have hung up the phone. I ate my salad. Much to my surprise, when I picked up the receiver, they were still waiting. 

ME: Hello? 

AT&T: Is this Mr. Byron? 

ME: May I ask who is calling, please? 

ME: This is AT&T? 

ME: The phone company. 

AT&T: Yes, sir. 

ME: I thought you said this was AT&T. 

AT&T: Yes, sir, we are a phone company. 

ME: I already have a phone. 

AT&T: We aren’t selling phones today, Mr. Byron. We would like to offer you 10 cents a minute, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. 

ME: Now, that’s 10 cents a minute, 24 hours a day? 

AT&T: (getting a little excited at this point by my interest) Yes, sir, that’s right! 24 hours a day! 

ME: 7 days a week.? 

AT&T: That’s right. 

ME: 365 days a year.? 

ME: I am definitely interested in that! Wow!!! That’s amazing! 

AT&T: We think so! 

ME: That’s quite a sum of money! 

AT&T: Yes, sir, it’s amazing how it adds up. 

ME: OK, so will you send me checks weekly, monthly or just one big one at the end of the year for the full $52,560; and if you send an annual check, can I get a cash advance? 

AT&T: Excuse me? 

ME: You know, the 10 cents a minute. 

AT&T: What are you talking about? 

ME: You said you’d give me 10 cents a minute, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. That comes to $144 per day, $1008 per week and $52,560 per year. I’m just interested in knowing how you will be making payment. 

AT&T: Oh, no, sir. I didn’t mean we’d be paying you. You pay us 10 cents a minute. 

ME: Wait a minute, how do you figure that by saying that you’ll give me 10 cents a minute, that I’ll give YOU 10 cents a minute? Is this some kind of subliminal telemarketing scheme? I’ve read about things like this in the Enquirer, you know. 

AT&T: No, sir, we are offering 10 cents a minute for 

ME: THERE YOU GO AGAIN! Can I speak to a supervisor please? 

AT&T: Sir, I don’t think that is necessary. 

ME: I insist on speaking to a supervisor! 

AT&T: Yes, Mr. Byron. Please hold. 

At this point, I begin trying to finish my dinner. 

SUPERVISOR: Mr. Byron? 

ME: Yeah. 

SUPERVISOR: I understand you are not quite understanding our 10 cents a minute program. 

ME: Is This A T &T? 

SUPERVISOR: Yes, sir, it sure is. 

ME: (I had to swallow before I choked on my food. It was all I could do to suppress my laughter and I had to be Careful not to produce a snort.) No, actually, I was just waiting for someone to get back to me so that I could sign up for the plan. 

SUPERVISOR: Ok, no problem, I’ll transfer you back to the person who was helping you. 

ME: Thank you. 

I was on hold once again and managed a few more mouthfuls. I need to end this conversation. Suddenly, there was an aggravated but polite voice at the other end of the phone. 

AT&T: Hello, Mr. Byron, I understand that you are interested in signing up for our plan.? 

ME: No, but I was wondering - do you have that “Friends and Family” thing because I’m an only child and I’d really like to have a little brother… 

AT&T: click……..

• Like 5

Free games updated 3/4/21

Can't get the link to work embedded, but I assure you this is one of the funniest things I've seen in ages. Mainly because it's pretty much what I'm like after a couple of brandies.

From Series three of the Fast Show, it's a re-watch for me after many years.

http://youtu.be/l2dd4iYe1vM?t=23m15s

If the link isn't working properly, go to 23 minutes, 15 seconds.

EDIT: ref the post by Azdeus, hopefully this one will be funny even if you aren't a native English speaker.

Edited by Walsingham
  • Like 2

-Elwood Blues

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcUi6UEQh00

I don't think I've posted this or seen it posted here, and it might not be entirely fitting for the thread, but I think this is funny.(And interesting!) :)

What english sounds like to non english speakers!

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Can't get the link to work embedded, but I assure you this is one of the funniest things I've seen in ages. 

Getting a link to work embedded is like making love to a beautiful woman; I wouldn't know anything about it.

• Like 3

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

cut and pasted from elsewhere

I was at home the other night in the middle of my dinner when the phone rang. 

ME: Hello. 
AT&T: Hello, this is AT&T. 

ME: Is this AT&T. 

ME: This is AT&T. 

ME: Is this AT&T.? 
AT&T: Yes! This is AT&T, may I speak to Mr. Byron, please? 

ME: May I ask who is calling? 
AT&T: This is AT&T. 

ME: OK, hold on. 

At this point I put the phone down for a solid 5 minutes thinking that, surely, this person would have hung up the phone. I ate my salad. Much to my surprise, when I picked up the receiver, they were still waiting. 

ME: Hello? 
AT&T: Is this Mr. Byron? 

ME: May I ask who is calling, please? 

ME: This is AT&T? 

ME: The phone company. 

ME: I thought you said this was AT&T. 
AT&T: Yes, sir, we are a phone company. 

ME: I already have a phone. 
AT&T: We aren’t selling phones today, Mr. Byron. We would like to offer you 10 cents a minute, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. 

ME: Now, that’s 10 cents a minute, 24 hours a day? 
AT&T: (getting a little excited at this point by my interest) Yes, sir, that’s right! 24 hours a day! 

ME: 7 days a week.? 
AT&T: That’s right. 

ME: 365 days a year.? 

ME: I am definitely interested in that! Wow!!! That’s amazing! 
AT&T: We think so! 

ME: That’s quite a sum of money! 
AT&T: Yes, sir, it’s amazing how it adds up. 

ME: OK, so will you send me checks weekly, monthly or just one big one at the end of the year for the full $52,560; and if you send an annual check, can I get a cash advance? 
AT&T: Excuse me? 

ME: You know, the 10 cents a minute. 
AT&T: What are you talking about? 

ME: You said you’d give me 10 cents a minute, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. That comes to $144 per day, $1008 per week and $52,560 per year. I’m just interested in knowing how you will be making payment. 
AT&T: Oh, no, sir. I didn’t mean we’d be paying you. You pay us 10 cents a minute. 

ME: Wait a minute, how do you figure that by saying that you’ll give me 10 cents a minute, that I’ll give YOU 10 cents a minute? Is this some kind of subliminal telemarketing scheme? I’ve read about things like this in the Enquirer, you know. 

AT&T: No, sir, we are offering 10 cents a minute for 

ME: THERE YOU GO AGAIN! Can I speak to a supervisor please? 
AT&T: Sir, I don’t think that is necessary. 

ME: I insist on speaking to a supervisor! 
AT&T: Yes, Mr. Byron. Please hold. 

At this point, I begin trying to finish my dinner. 

SUPERVISOR: Mr. Byron? 
ME: Yeah. 

SUPERVISOR: I understand you are not quite understanding our 10 cents a minute program. 
ME: Is This A T &T? 

SUPERVISOR: Yes, sir, it sure is. 
ME: (I had to swallow before I choked on my food. It was all I could do to suppress my laughter and I had to be Careful not to produce a snort.) No, actually, I was just waiting for someone to get back to me so that I could sign up for the plan. 

SUPERVISOR: Ok, no problem, I’ll transfer you back to the person who was helping you. 
ME: Thank you. 

I was on hold once again and managed a few more mouthfuls. I need to end this conversation. Suddenly, there was an aggravated but polite voice at the other end of the phone. 

AT&T: Hello, Mr. Byron, I understand that you are interested in signing up for our plan.? 

ME: No, but I was wondering - do you have that “Friends and Family” thing because I’m an only child and I’d really like to have a little brother… 

AT&T: click……..

OMG!!!

I love this!! This should be on youtube.... or something! I wanna save this and try it out. :lol: