Study classifies four types of family-killers

Walsingham

The four types

• Self-righteous: Killer seeks to locate blame for his crimes upon the mother who he holds responsible for the breakdown of the family. For these men, their breadwinner status is central to their idea of the ideal family. (case study: Brian Philcox)
  • Anomic: The family has become firmly linked to the economy in the mind of the killer. The father sees his family as the result of his economic success, allowing him to display his achievements. However, if the father becomes an economic failure, he sees the family as no longer serving this function. (case study: Chris Foster)
  • Disappointed: This killer believes his family has let him down or has acted in ways to undermine or destroy his vision of ideal family life. An example may be disappointment that children are not following the traditional religious or cultural customs of the father. (case study: Mohammed Riaz)
  • Paranoid: Those who perceive an external threat to the family. This is often social services or the legal system, which the father fears will side against him and take away the children. Here, the murder is motivated by a twisted desire to protect the family. (case study: Graham Anderson)

From the BBC

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The last one is often portrayed in fiction, I guess it's "easier" to identify with as it plays into the traditional psychological roles of parenthood - that one must protect kids from the horrors of the world. Is there a statistic as to which type is most common?

Fortune favors the bald.

Maybe in that link. I didn't see it. Probably too few cases to draw many conclusions from that study.

My key follow up is how do these differ with non-English-speaking cultures? Say Japan?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

My brother lived there for 2 years, the neighbour family commited suicide together when in a matter of months the boy was kicked out of college, the dad lost his job and the family was about to be evicted.

So I would guess percieved honor, shame and 'not being a burden' is a pretty big motivator there.

Fortune favors the bald.

I'm also curious about what interventions might work.

To be honest I think those guys who just drive to succeed without any real interest or emotional weight behind it... I think they are accidents waiting to happen full stop. Granted only a tiny percentage kill tehri own bloody families. But theyr'e all a bit messed up.

-Elwood Blues

Women murder at a much lower rate than men.  Although if they do decide to murder, it's like a 60% chance it will be a family member or husband, so there might be a point there.

Actually reading up on it, Volo has a really good point:

"Of children under age 5 killed by a parent, the rate for biological fathers was only slightly higher than for biological mothers"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_differences_in_crime

Edited by Hurlshot

I like how that artice targets only male scumbag murderers and not female scumbag murderers.

So either you're totally ignorant of scientific normality - doing a study on a limited sample - or you're trolling the subject of people killing their own kids.

Classy.

-Elwood Blues

Yeah, the 'classy' thing to attack certain genders and turn them into boogey man.

I wonder how people would feel if it was pointed out that black (males) - by statistics - are the most violent members of US citizenship by far. That's racist right?

You are the one trolling. I abhor violence whether it is against men, women, or children whether it is committed by men, women, or children.

Why do you feel the ened to choose which is most abhorent? Scumbag murderers are scumbag murderers.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Sure. But the study never said men were the only killers. You're just pretending it did for reasons that deserve their own study.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues