Russia passes more homophobia laws

BruceVC

I agree with Agiel on this; the Olympics are about forgetting why we hate each other, why we hate our differences.  Boycotting or moving the Winter Olympics (moving would be impossible at this date anyhow) is pretty much ensuring that the kind of connections the Olympics foster, the sharing of unequal beliefs in a framework of acceptance and sports competition wouldn't happen.

Fighting ignorance about minority groups has to include the ability for people to meet and see whatever group has been defined as "other" so that those who fear that "other" can see they aren't so different after all.

I thought it was about making money :)

Well there's always the "why you say you do it" vs "what you get out of it". :)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

OK, maybe the olympics is supposed to be about joining together. But it could be very powerful.

Sport hits ordinary people right in the conscience. Bruce and I can remember that more than anything else it was rejection from sports which made white South Africa have to think about apartheid. Because excellence in sport was a fundamental part of life in school and so on. Being internationally rejected was a constant reminder.

I take exception to exodiark's point about feeling entitled. as a matter of fact, you look round the world and womens' rights and homosexual rights give a pretty good ****ing yardstick for civil liberty and respect of individuality. And speaking personally, if I was potentially due to get locked up or even executed for something I had no goddamn control over I'd be pretty pissed off. It's exactly as ludicrous as criminalising skin colour or being poor.

• Like 2

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Well, is just gay propaganda not the mere fact of being one that the law is aimed against. But I suppose the application will be different. Putin should have put the law in earlier, people would forget by the time the games draw near.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I used to like Putin.. he hunted bears bare chested and flew with migrating birds!!

Now he's just an idiot.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

The Olympics can only rejcet countries based on current practices during the selection phase. If they reject countries after they have already been chosen to host an event it looks like they are chosing sides politically, which they can't do given that they have to build bridges between different government types and peoples. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

OK, maybe the olympics is supposed to be about joining together. But it could be very powerful.

Sport hits ordinary people right in the conscience. Bruce and I can remember that more than anything else it was rejection from sports which made white South Africa have to think about apartheid. Because excellence in sport was a fundamental part of life in school and so on. Being internationally rejected was a constant reminder.

I take exception to exodiark's point about feeling entitled. as a matter of fact, you look round the world and womens' rights and homosexual rights give a pretty good ****ing yardstick for civil liberty and respect of individuality. And speaking personally, if I was potentially due to get locked up or even executed for something I had no goddamn control over I'd be pretty pissed off. It's exactly as ludicrous as criminalising skin colour or being poor.

I don't disagree.  But as Gorgon says, if they want to bump Russia out for this, they really don't have a lot of room to maneuver until next go around.  Then if they want to ban Russia like they did SA they can (but I seriously doubt they will, to be honest).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

'Point.

Apologies for not understanding Gorgon properly in the first place.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I say it is more important to use this time to raise awareness of the terrible discriminatory policies than to try and cancel or move the Olympics.  

Also, what Wals said.  Being gay is not a choice and it isn't about being entitled.  If my child was gay I would want them to have the same rights as everyone else in this world, and that is simply not true in many places.

• Like 1

This is Putin being putin. That guy is evil to the core. He doesn't care about anyone including his own country. It's all about Putin.

As for canceling the Russian Olympics, the IOC doesn't care about morality. It's all about money to them. They completely miss the point of the World Olympics. Countries like Russia (and Nazi Germany) shouldn't be 'honoured' an event that is supposedly dedicated to bringing people of different ilks together. But, again, the IOC is about greed. Period.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Did anyone else just suddenly decide it's all about Volourn?

Edited by Walsingham
  • Like 1

-Elwood Blues

Hmmm, to prevent further misunderstandings, the "entitled" thing I said is for some activists who put gay rights over anything, like say woman objectification, buying from Foxconn sweatshops, fake WMDs, blood diamonds, etc.

Gay rights is no more important than those issues, and I find it funny that Stephen Fry want Russia out of Olympics just because they don't like gays, while his country did things as ethically questionable as not liking gays and made it to the Olympics. Talk about over-entitlement.

No, being gay or gay activists doesn't automatically make you entitled. I simply addressed a vocal minority in gay communities.

Edited by exodiark

I say it is more important to use this time to raise awareness of the terrible discriminatory policies than to try and cancel or move the Olympics.

Hm, I'd hope Russians are already aware of it by now.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

@Exodiark. Being from the same country as Steven Fry I think you need to have a good hard think about your argument.

Mentioning a handful of other 'ethical' issues doesn't make your case very clearly.

On what basis does Foxconn components equate to making capital punishment for being gay? Or being raped for being a low caste woman? On what basis does British colonial history make modern Britain complicit?

Both stephen Fry and I are modern Britain. I'd appreciate you being a bit more ****ing specific if you're accusing me of something.

-Elwood Blues

@Exodiark. Being from the same country as Steven Fry I think you need to have a good hard think about your argument.

Mentioning a handful of other 'ethical' issues doesn't make your case very clearly.

On what basis does Foxconn components equate to making capital punishment for being gay? Or being raped for being a low caste woman? On what basis does British colonial history make modern Britain complicit?

Both stephen Fry and I are modern Britain. I'd appreciate you being a bit more ****ing specific if you're accusing me of something.

*sigh* I said it already, like invading Iraq? and found out later that they don't have WMDs?

A war which destabilizes the entire Middle East region, and brought sufferings through war and revolutions? Could you imagine living in a city (Baghdad) where you could suddenly die just because you went shopping? Yes, that kind of destabilizations, car bombings, whatever.

I find it no worse or no better than not liking gays, and therefore I don't like Mr. Fry's assessments.

Edited by exodiark

I don't necessarily agree with the war in Iraq, but let's put a little of the blame on Saddam Hussein as well.  It's really not related to this discussion though.

It's not a competition over who has the more righteous cause.  You are basically dismissing vocal gay rights activists because they are too vocal?  That's kind of the point of activism.

I don't necessarily agree with the war in Iraq, but let's put a little of the blame on Saddam Hussein as well.  It's really not related to this discussion though.

It's not a competition over who has the more righteous cause.  You are basically dismissing vocal gay rights activists because they are too vocal?  That's kind of the point of activism.

Regardless, whoever participated in the war must take responsibility for it, including Saddam, US, Poland, UK, Australia, etc.

Also, maybe... it's because... I don't like vocal activists! Shocking, right?

Maybe it's better on my ears if Mr. Fry simply condemned Russia for not liking gays, but he overreacted by attempting to strip Russia from Olympics, just because they don't like gays. I dunno about you, but that's too extreme for me.

And you're right, It's not a competition when they are all the same to me, that's why I personally don't like Mr. Fry's assessments on why Russia must be stripped out from Olympics.

Edited by exodiark

Regardless, whoever participated in the war must take responsibility for it, including Saddam, US, Poland, UK, Australia, etc.

Also, maybe... it's because... I don't like vocal activists! Shocking, right?

Maybe it's better on my ears if Mr. Fry simply condemned Russia for not liking gays, but he overreacted by attempting to strip Russia from Olympics, just because they don't like gays. I dunno about you, but that's too extreme for me.

And you're right, It's not a competition when they are all the same to me, that's why I personally don't like Mr. Fry's assessments on why Russia must be stripped out from Olympics.

You probably would have been better off just targeting Stephen Fry than using words like entitlement and the gay agenda.

"and found out later that they don't have WMDs?"

yes, they did. This lie keeps being spouted. Iraq admitted they had WMD. They even admitted to what they had. Yet, they couldn't show where said WMD was. This baloney that Iraq had no WMD is laughable.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

it's all about Volourn?

For some reason, I could see this as a sitcom.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what.

Yes, Stephen. But I think you meant:

It's now very common to hear people say 'I'm rather offended by that' and it's only significant if it's me being offended rather than someone else, for something I consider to be trivial.

(Still, not as bad as Candidate Obama vs shambling soulless shell Pod Person President Obama who can't even shoot free throws any more)

He really hasn't left himself much room for the outraeg!!! in 2020 at Qatar's laws on homosexuality if he's already playing the Nazi/ Hitler card for somewhere where they won't actually kill you for being gay.

It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what.

Yes, Stephen. But I think you meant:

It's now very common to hear people say 'I'm rather offended by that' and it's only significant if it's me being offended rather than someone else, for something I consider to be trivial.

(Still, not as bad as Candidate Obama vs shambling soulless shell Pod Person President Obama who can't even shoot free throws any more)

He really hasn't left himself much room for the outraeg!!! in 2020 at Qatar's laws on homosexuality if he's already playing the Nazi/ Hitler card for somewhere where they won't actually kill you for being gay.

Nobody ever said countries like Uganda (see the Christmas law of 2012 and the truly bizarre Youtube "justification" for it) ever get a pass for draconian laws like that. As a fellow industrialised nation with a comparable literacy rate, a growing college-educated and young professional populace, and for the most part good women's suffrage record (unlike most Gulf States) many of us do hold Russia to the west's standards of human rights.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling