Russia passes more homophobia laws

BruceVC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22862210

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23603870

Wow, so Russia takes one step forward and 4 steps back in the battle towards equality for all

I didn't even realize the Russian Duma has passed a law that anyone who provides "homosexual material " to people under 18 will be prosecuted. Homophobia is rife in Russia and I thinks its disgraceful. Do the Russian ministers that passed this law think that Homosexuality only starts when you turn 18? Seriously how uniformed can an intelligent nation be?

I support Stephen Fry in his attempts to get Russia stripped of its right to host the 2014 Winter Olympics, this kind of bigotry needs to be rejected and condemned by the world

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

If the Nazis were allowed to hold the Olympics, theres no way Russia is getting stripped of them. Someone suggested banning the Russian team from their own games though.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Seriously how uniformed can an intelligent nation be?

heh, "intelligent" isn't really applicable to modern-day Russia 

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

If the Nazis were allowed to hold the Olympics, theres no way Russia is getting stripped of them. Someone suggested banning the Russian team from their own games though.

Valid point but I think it has been widely accepted that Germany should never been allowed to host in the Olympics in the 1930's. So why repeat the mistake?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Wow, so Russia takes one step forward and 4 steps back in the battle towards equality for all

I didn't even realize the Russian Duma has passed a law that anyone who provides "homosexual material " to people under 18 will be prosecuted. Homophobia is rife in Russia and I thinks its disgraceful. Do the Russian ministers that passed this law think that Homosexuality only starts when you turn 18? Seriously how uniformed can an intelligent nation be?

I support Stephen Fry in his attempts to get Russia stripped of its right to host the 2014 Winter Olympics, this kind of bigotry needs to be rejected and condemned by the world

Just because they don't like gays? Really? You know that there are more horrible things than not accepting gays?

And why is United Kingdom allowed to host 2012 Olympics? They invaded Iraq under false premises too, and oh, colonialization and mass-starvation in India? Are they not worse than not accepting gays?

And why is China allowed to host 2008 Olympics? They didn't have the cleanest human right records (Tiananmen) after all, and far as I know, they don't like gays too.

Lol gay activists and their sense of entitlement. They think accepting homosexuality are the pinnacle of mankind achievement or something, and you're somehow condemned if you don't like them. Funny how that fits the definition of bigotry.

Edited by exodiark
  • Like 3

Just because they don't like gays? Really? You know that there are more horrible things than not accepting gays?

And why is United Kingdom allowed to host 2012 Olympics? They invaded Iraq under false premises too, and oh, colonialization and mass-starvation in India? Are they not worse than not accepting gays?

And why is China allowed to host 2008 Olympics? They didn't have the cleanest human right records (Tiananmen) after all, and far as I know, they don't like gays too.

Lol gay activists and their sense of entitlement. They think accepting homosexuality are the pinnacle of mankind achievement or something, and you're somehow condemned if you don't like them. Funny how that fits the definition of bigotry.

Seriously, trying to find a connection between the invasion of Iraq and Russia's increased homophobia just demonstrates your ignorance.

Please spend some time understanding the definition of the word "bigotry" and when a country makes a bad decision to invade another country. You'll find that they are 2 totally different topics. Also I'm not sure if you are aware that the invasion of Iraq wasn't a law that was passed in the UK. It was a military decision and when the UK Olympics was held the War in Iraq was long over. Just a free history lesson for you.

And yes I have an issue with discrimination on all levels, are you fine with it? What exactly is entitled about that?

John Milton 

Seriously, trying to find a connection between the invasion of Iraq and Russia's increased homophobia just demonstrates your ignorance.

No, what I tried to convey is there are many, maybe "better," reasons to ban a country from having Olympics other than not accepting gays.

Please spend some time understanding the definition of the word "bigotry" and when a country makes a bad decision to invade another country. You'll find that they are 2 totally different topics. Also I'm not sure if you are aware that the invasion of Iraq wasn't a law that was passed in the UK. It was a military decision and when the UK Olympics was held the War in Iraq was long over. Just a free history lesson for you.

No, please re-read what I said:

"Lol gay activists and their sense of entitlement. They think accepting homosexuality are the pinnacle of mankind achievement or something, and you're somehow condemned if you don't like them. Funny how that fits the definition of bigotry."

I said that (most) gay activists are bigot themselves, because they themselves can't tolerate people who oppose them. Doesn't have anything with Iraq.

And Iraq war is declared over in 2011 btw, so it's not "long over." And the destabilization in Iraq is still felt until today: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23590938

And yes I have an issue with discrimination on all levels, are you fine with it? What exactly is entitled about that?

Yes, I'm fine with both discrimination and anti-discrimination, because I learned not to give a ***k as long as I keep surviving.

You are entitled when you think your cause are something more important than other things.

I don't have problems with accepting gays, I have a problem with people labeling it as the most important thing ever, ignoring other issues.

Edited by exodiark

No, what I tried to convey is there are many reasons to ban a country from having Olympics other than not accepting gays.

No, please re-read what I said:

"Lol gay activists and their sense of entitlement. They think accepting homosexuality are the pinnacle of mankind achievement or something, and you're somehow condemned if you don't like them. Funny how that fits the definition of bigotry."

I said that (most) gay activists are bigot themselves, because they themselves can't tolerate people who oppose them. Doesn't have anything with Iraq.

And Iraq war is declared over in 2011 btw, so it's not "long over." And the destabilization in Iraq is still felt until today: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23590938

Yes, I'm fine with both discrimination and anti-discrimination, because I learned not to give a ***k as long as I keep surviving.

You are entitled when you think your cause are something more important than other things.

I don't have problems with accepting gays, I have a problem with people labeling it as the most important thing ever, ignoring other issues.

When did I ever say that Homophobia was the most important social issue that modern society faces? I am talking about the current issue in Russia and the implementation of homophobia laws.

I am well aware that the world faces many issues, its silly to suggest that anyone with even a semblance of intelligence wouldn't be aware of this. But I am more than capable of campaigning and being opposed to many areas around the world  where discrimination and bigotry is being institutionalized as law

John Milton 

While I find Russia's homophobic laws totally medieval and backwards and I think Putin can hardly get any lower than cozying up with the Russian Orthodox Church to the degree that he is (mind you, I hate the idea of a government getting cozy with any religious institution, regardless of stripes), I still oppose a boycott of hosting the Olympics in Sochi. While one certainly has the right to express their misgivings about a country's discriminatory policies, keep in mind it is the one time every two years we as a species almost forget we hate each other, and boycotting the competition also affects other competing countries and their athletes who still elect to attend. It is for this reason that in spite of China's treatment of Tibetans I opposed a boycott of the Beijing Olympics back in 2008.

However, whatever surreptitious some athletes can find to express solidarity with gay-rights cause I'm all for. 

• Like 2
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I mostly commented on this statement, it sure sounded like you put homophobia above all, but good to know you're not that kind of activist :)

Edited by exodiark

I mostly commented on this statement, it sure sounded like you put homophobia above all, but good to know you're not that kind of activist :)

Yes I'm an activist that is involved in many areas of the fight against all forms of discrimination :)

While I find Russia's homophobic laws totally medieval and backwards and I think Putin can hardly get any lower than cozying up with the Russian Orthodox Church to the degree that he is (mind you, I hate the idea of a government getting cozy with any religious institution, regardless of stripes), I still oppose a boycott of hosting the Olympics in Sochi. While one certainly has the right to express their misgivings about a country's discriminatory policies, keep in mind it is the one time every two years we as a species almost forget we hate each other, and boycotting the competition also affects other competing countries and their athletes who still elect to attend. It is for this reason that in spite of China's treatment of Tibetans I opposed a boycott of the Beijing Olympics back in 2008.

However, whatever surreptitious some athletes can find to express solidarity with gay-rights cause I'm all for. 

You make some good points, I also was watching some interviews on this topic on Sky News and I'm now of the opinion that maybe stopping Russia from hosting the Winter Olympics is not the right move. The Russian have already said they won't discriminate against Gay athletes so the best move would be for a Gay athlete to win some sports award within Russia, like Jesse Owens did in the 1930's Olympics?

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

I think he ment to say that discriminating poeple because they are discriminating people is still discriminating.

Only the values/variables change.

• Like 1

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

I think he ment to say that discriminating poeple because they are discriminating people is still discriminating.

Only the values/variables change.

Eh, I have no problem with certain types of discrimination. If someone is a moronic wanker, then I'm going to discriminate against them because they're annoying little ****s.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I said that (most) gay activists are bigot themselves, because they themselves can't tolerate people who oppose them.

Yes, I'm sure the sixteen year old gay kid getting his head cracked open in the high school men's locker room after gym class only needs to be educated about why the jocks are uncomfortable with his existence so he can coexist with them peacefully.

• Like 1

Ah was wondering when the resident SJW would pick up on this. As for taking the Olympics away, that's a good laugh. I suppose they'll take the WC and Olympics from Brazil too, they've got major social problems as well.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I said that (most) gay activists are bigot themselves, because they themselves can't tolerate people who oppose them.

Yes, I'm sure the sixteen year old gay kid getting his head cracked open in the high school men's locker room after gym class only needs to be educated about why the jocks are uncomfortable with his existence so he can coexist with them peacefully.

???

Um, There are other measures to make them coexist peacefully without diminishing both the gay kid's and the jocks' point-of-view?

Punishing the jocks for violence is one example, because they agreed not to do it in the school grounds before they enrolled. It also acts as a deterrence for people who will try to do the violence thing again. Thus, the gay kid and the jocks coexist peacefully, even if they don't like each other :)

Edited by exodiark

Ah was wondering when the resident SJW would pick up on this. As for taking the Olympics away, that's a good laugh. I suppose they'll take the WC and Olympics from Brazil too, they've got major social problems as well.

Malc I'm surprised you didn't jump on this topic and make this post first. I know what a strong advocate for equality you are and especially gay rights. But its good to have your resounding support behind this important issue :thumbsup:

John Milton 

There it is. Punishing the jocks. In this case, the sweaty armpits of Vladimir Putin.

Yes, but not for thought-policing reasons like "YOU CAN'T HATE GAAAAAYS!" more like "You broke a promise that you made before entering this school."

Don't say that! A drop of his sweat could inseminate men from all over the world. It's airborne!

Were we really expecting anything different from that frozen ****hole?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Interesting judgment, heh.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

If it gets oby spamming this thread, it was worth it.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I agree with Agiel on this; the Olympics are about forgetting why we hate each other, why we hate our differences.  Boycotting or moving the Winter Olympics (moving would be impossible at this date anyhow) is pretty much ensuring that the kind of connections the Olympics foster, the sharing of unequal beliefs in a framework of acceptance and sports competition wouldn't happen.

Fighting ignorance about minority groups has to include the ability for people to meet and see whatever group has been defined as "other" so that those who fear that "other" can see they aren't so different after all.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I agree with Agiel on this; the Olympics are about forgetting why we hate each other, why we hate our differences.  Boycotting or moving the Winter Olympics (moving would be impossible at this date anyhow) is pretty much ensuring that the kind of connections the Olympics foster, the sharing of unequal beliefs in a framework of acceptance and sports competition wouldn't happen.

Fighting ignorance about minority groups has to include the ability for people to meet and see whatever group has been defined as "other" so that those who fear that "other" can see they aren't so different after all.

I thought it was about making money :)