Aha, I still didn't get to see this on a normal screen size, but I can double click on my phone to zoom. I think the details of the hero's are sufficient, and if the teams not using zbrush new patch, they should cause its awesome for retaining details for low poly models. The issue with the shadows seems to be they're backwards. The darkest part would be by their feet, while the head would be the lightest. Or the shadow would be darkest at the area closest to the wall or ground, etc. I do a lot of compositing and I also like to matte paint so I pick up on those things right away. I think over all its pretty solid work though.

It just amazes me how much people are nit-picking the type and quality of shadow...  I didn't even notice most of the complaints against it until I referenced the posts pointing it out.  To me, that seems close to the least important feature- the important thing is that the environment looks great and that the character models look great also...

The reason for the comments is that the OP specifically asked for feedback. For some people that detail stands out more than for others. But I think it's the type of feature that most players will quickly grow used to... as long as the diffuse lighting of the character matches the local lighting level. :)

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Initial impressions are:

Good

-The background is gorgeous!

-Varied character and creature appearance

Less good

-Shadows on characters are out of place

-Characters look somehow... plastic? They definitely look like they belong to a slightly different scene than the one they're in. Not thematically, but physically.

However, since this is an environment art post, I have to assume the characters aren't fully formed yet. With that in mind, it's really impressive and exciting!

• Like 2

The column tops being pure black seem to break up the room and feels like it's breaking the artistic design. I would love to see a little translucency to the tops so they don't seem so foreign to the scene. Possible all cut sections if that's even possible.

The top of walls and columns is black because that's where the ceiling would begin.

Except that the ceiling is hidden, so that players can see the scene.

This is how it has aways been in the Infinity Engine games, and it does make sense.
  • Like 1

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

It just amazes me how much people are nit-picking the type and quality of shadow...  I didn't even notice most of the complaints against it until I referenced the posts pointing it out.

For me it was one of the first things I noticed.

I hope that they still find a way to improve it... Even if they only want to draw a single shadow per character, it should always be drawn away from the strongest light source in the vacinity of the character. They can always keep static shadows as a fallback for older computers.

To me, that seems close to the least important feature- the important thing is that the environment looks great and that the character models look great also...

Shadows are a part of what makes an environment look great.

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

I suppose.  I mean, I would like shadows that "work" properly with the in-game light sources, because, well, that just makes sense.  But, as it is literally an intangible thing that effects nothing in game, I don't really care.  The IE games didn't have shadows, I am pretty sure- or at least, not dynamic ones.  If they can fix the shadows to do what they are supposed to/should, excellent. 

"1 is 1"

hate seeing the rifle. kills the immersion. nobody wants rifles and pistols!

I actually love seeing that rifle. It feels fresh and exciting. I played "Expeditions: Conquistador" a while ago, and there it felt historically accurate. However, this time we get a fantasy RPG with flintlocks - slow-to-use weapons - so no risk of gunslinging a la Torchlight, I reckon. I'm hoping for a fantasy RPG setting somewhere in between "Dishonored" and "Baldur's Gate", shifting weight on those two pillars of fantasy time as it goes along through its various contexts. I wouldn't mind seeing some technological/cultural standard a la Ravenloft thrown into the mix as well.

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

See you in a couple of weeks.

Although the screenshot looks really good, I'm a bit let down by the frequency of the updates lately. Is it going to stay at a 2 weeks cycle now?

I really don't want to be negative here, but I feel like the art updates were also meatier during the more frequent time, that is, when we had weekly updates. For example, there was more text describing the artistic process when we were shown some new eye-candy.

I know we're not entitled to those updates so I'm still glad we have them, but it'd be nice to know if this is supposed to stay biweekly short updates now or if this is only a temporary thing.

This is going to be a regular occurrence. The team is shifting close to 100% of their efforts into creating the content for the game, so we have to space the updates out a bit more.

• Like 7

Although the screenshot looks really good, I'm a bit let down by the frequency of the updates lately. Is it going to stay at a 2 weeks cycle now?

I really don't want to be negative here, but I feel like the art updates were also meatier during the more frequent time, that is, when we had weekly updates. For example, there was more text describing the artistic process when we were shown some new eye-candy.

I know we're not entitled to those updates so I'm still glad we have them, but it'd be nice to know if this is supposed to stay biweekly short updates now or if this is only a temporary thing.

This is going to be a regular occurrence. The team is shifting close to 100% of their efforts into creating the content for the game, so we have to space the updates out a bit more.

Will the Backer portal (when it's finished) be announced in an update or will you make it accessible when it's done?

For me, and this is a matter of taste, the indoor environments shouldn't be as "washed out" i.e. low contrast and bright. I think the black space, outside the rooms, makes it worse. I think the textures, character models, and 3D scene are excellent. The shadows look odd, I'd even suggest not having them in such well lit environments, only outdoors and dark areas with one light source. Fallout's solution of having a light from above worked.

It does appear that the character models are being illuminated by directional lighting. If you look at the elves standing around the device, the ones to the lower right have shadowed backs, whereas the ones in the upper right are illuminated by the violet glow. If this was generated by processing of the 3D geometric data, then perhaps some hooks could be left in the code in case an adventurous modder wants to add in some shadow-computing calls? Once that is available, people with sufficient processing power can render the shadows more accurately by adding in the mod. :)

• Like 3

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Very nicely done.  I do like the look of it, hopefully will get some animation shots before long!

One thing I would very much like to see is that the quality of the characters remains sharp and detailed even when zooming on on a parituclar area (assuming we are giving the option of altering the view distance, as I do usually like to zoom in on combat and watch the skirmishes take place while not having to frantically click on tiny figures mid-fight).

Thanks for the information, I appreciate that. Sorry if I sounded too negative, but seeing how awesome the game is going to be, I find it hard to deal with the excitement for new information at times. Now that I know the updates are longer apart I can adjust my expectations accordingly, so thanks again for the information.

You're doing an awesome job so far, so keep going :)

Oh no!  Not another "flip the levers scattered around the room to turn off the machine" scenario! :bat:

I kid, the scene looks fantastic, though the character lighting is of course a little disorienting.  Very good with keeping to the concept art!

Keep up the good work.

The top of walls and columns is black because that's where the ceiling would begin.
Except that the ceiling is hidden, so that players can see the scene.

This is how it has aways been in the Infinity Engine games, and it does make sense.

I understand that. I was just thinking that a little translucent haze along all the cut lines of the ceiling will give a more ethereal feel to the room, and in turn, player's eyes less reason to be drawn to the cut lines. I feel personally that the stark lines are a bit of a distraction for my attention.

pe-temple-skaen.580.jpg

We think it looks pretty good. Thoughts?

-R

two guys on the top look identical, the guy facing the door in that group seems to have different lighting on him than the others in the room, and his weapon seems awfully big. Their stance seems off somehow. I wonder why they're just standing there faffing about until the team comes in.

The team itself seems positioned like the circle around a centre person formation you had in BG2, with one being pushed back slightly because of the barrier in front of him.

I hope there are going to be different formations, perhaps you can save relative positions AS a formation, I dunno.

All in all it looks pretty good, you spent attention to detail on the character design. I'm dubious about the placement of these what I am going to assume are enemies. (their heads, is this normal for them?) I'm not sure I like the big ears.

But all criticism considered, I like what I see.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

OH LORD THANK YOU!!  :bow:

This is exactly what I have been looking for for the last... 15 years? If you can deliver on the characters, story and VA then you will fulfill a dream I didn't think was possible anymore, to play another "IE" game.

No words... 

Also, is it possible to increase our pledges? I want some way to say thanks (and get some collectors items for memories sake)  :huh:

YEP .look like there is going to be a lot and i mean a lot of stabbing. it allways strikes me how much love developer of game like this puts in to different kind of swords you can stab in to digital life forms.. lets play stabbing ;D

Edited by okkoko

My main concern is how 3D and 2D are meshed up each other.  Art direction is quite clear so I hope the 3D models won’t stand out too much.  While I can reckon they are 3D when zoomed, probably, they will not be so prominent when playing the game, I imagine.

While I don’t deny the importance of the updates to avoid possible misunderstandings, too many updates would distract them from the development process.  First and foremost, the team are responsible for delivering the game.  So, as far as I’m concerned, feel free to omit updates when the team feel it’s better in the long run.