What are you playing now?

Pidesco

How much health do enemy bosses have if you can hit for over a million?

Over 9 thousand million.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

now 12 hours into The Last of Us, and a little over halfway through i think.  looks like the game will be about 20 hours or so

best survival/action/horror game since resident evil 4.  but not quite as good as RE4 was on release.  It has a major stealth component that RE4 did not have, and a little less emphasis on combat and gear. 

Interesting note: the game keeps getting better the longer i play it,  very different than most modern games. 

i'll wait to make more updates until i finish the game

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

now 12 hours into The Last of Us, and a little over halfway through i think.  looks like the game will be about 20 hours or so

best survival/action/horror game since resident evil 4.  but not quite as good as RE4 was on release.  It has a major stealth component that RE4 did not have, and a little less emphasis on combat and gear. 

Interesting note: the game keeps getting better the longer i play it,  very different than most modern games. 

RE4 and The Last of Us are poor survival horror games in my opinion.  Too casual and basic, but at least The Last of Us has decent character development while RE4 offers nothing but action gameplay and terrible pacing.   Stealth in TLoU isn't very good either.  That's one game I'll never finish.

Save RPGs

Saying Dragon Age 2 is the worst recent Bioware RPG is like saying the Ferrari California is the worst Ferrari. It's still a Ferrari; an elite, top-tier, without much competition in today's industry.

as a survival horror game, re4 wasn't particularly good. but as a video game, it was exceptional in virtually every way (except story...... unless you love camp).   Last of Us doesn't quite hit that high mark in terms of video game execution, but it thankfully has a much better story

also, re4 was casual and basic?  I thought it was harder than resident evil 2 and i remember my first playthrough took over 30 hours.  If re 4 was "casual and basic" then so was every other resident evil game

side note:

"casual and basic" has to be the most hollow and pointless sounding criticism I've ever heard.  on par with "not immersive enough".  It's like, you are saying words, but they have no meaning.

edit: i just read your quotes describing witcher 2 as "casualized" and less ambitious than DA 2.... i take back what i said about "casual and basic" being the worst critique, and now replace that with the term "casualized" because that somehow manages to take a meaningless critique and make it sound even stupider.

smh.  unless you are a volo alt account, in which case I tip my hat to you sir, you got me.

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

as a survival horror game, re4 wasn't particularly good. but as a video game, it was exceptional in virtually every way (except story...... unless you love camp).   Last of Us doesn't quite hit that high mark in terms of video game execution, but it thankfully has a much better story

also, re4 was casual and basic?  I thought it was harder than resident evil 2 and i remember my first playthrough took over 30 hours.  If re 4 was "casual and basic" then so was every other resident evil game

side note:

"casual and basic" has to be the most hollow and pointless sounding criticism I've ever heard.  on par with "not immersive enough".  It's like, you are saying words, but they have no meaning.

Well this is a forum.  Anyone who has played RE4 should have realized how they load you up with so much ammo, and how the game just plays out as a third person shooter.  The Resident Evil games that were actually horror games were much harder, you could avoid enemy encounters, couldn't carry an armory with you, you died much more quickly, boss fights were more tricky, you'd run out of ammo all the time.  RE4 is when the series became a joke.

Survival horror is essentially gone from mainstream gaming.  The Metro series did a good job trying to keep it alive, but now Deep Silver announced that they'd like to dumb it down, probably to put it on par with the likes of RE4.  Having to put on your gas mask, manually change the filters, manage your ammo, and charge your batteries is too much for most people.  

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Misery 2.0 does an excellent job showing proper survival mechanics, and so does Underhell.  Modders have turned Fallout 3 and New Vegas into great survival games as well, though the horror aspect doesn't exist in Fallout of course.

Edited by Rhamnetin

Save RPGs

Saying Dragon Age 2 is the worst recent Bioware RPG is like saying the Ferrari California is the worst Ferrari. It's still a Ferrari; an elite, top-tier, without much competition in today's industry.

Casual and basic actually sounds awesome to me.  Is the alternative hardcore and complicated?  That sounds miserable.

The alternative is actual survival-horror.   :yes:

Save RPGs

Well do tell where you are, in spoiler tags of course. :)

1.13 killed off Ja2.

im in a chapter called Suburbs

pretty sure that's not a spoiler :)

also:  i feel like im in some weird bizzarro world where there are people who sing the praises of metro while bashing resident evil 4.  one of these games was an instant classic and was/is considered by many to be one of the best console games ever made, the other was a slightly below average first person shooter that i felt didn't pull off its raison d'etre as well as STALKER did several years before

edit one billion:

for funsies

best resident evil games imo

1. RE4

2. Resident Evil 2

3. Code Veronica

4. RE 1 (gc version is the best version imo)

5. RE 5/RE 3 (its a tie, they both were meh)

haven't played the rest, though I probably will play the most recent two (the one on the boat, and part 6) sometime in the next year or so.  I didn't feel compelled to rush and play them right away since by all accounts neither of them have revolutionized (or even heavily evolved) any element of game design

Edited by entrerix

Stalker is a classic though- there's a lot of room to be worse than Stalker but still a good game.

Is the alternative hardcore and complicated?  That sounds miserable.

That's kind of the point of survival horror though. It shouldn't be a frolic through a field of bright green grass while rabbits and fawns frolic nearby. If you're not cowering in the Cargo Bays, if you're not wondering how you're going to get past all the protocol droids with 2 bullets and a pistol that's barely holding together but instead confident that your damage sponge avatar dual wielding unbreakable assault rifles with unlimited ammo can confidently kill anything with a stern look while you race around the brightly lit levels at top speed then you aren't playing a survival horror game. To have a proper, tense game of that type you really need a good number of things that can go spectacularly wrong since it isn't just the atmosphere/ graphics but the sense of barely suppressed disaster and impending doom which builds the tension- a controller you have no prospect of beating with your Makarov, an assassin cyborg you cannot see burbling away in the background that you know can kill you with a few hits, a gun that breaks at the most inconvenient time, an enemy that just happens to decide the small patch of darkness you're sitting in quivering like a jelly in an earthquake is the most fascinating area ever and which demands further investigation. Casual and basic has its place, but by definition removes game systems and hence things that can go wrong.

Edited by Zoraptor

one of these games was an instant classic and the other was a slightly below average shooter

Wow.  I wouldn't go as far as to call the Metro games instant-classics, but yeah they're really good.  Great story, more hardcore survival mechanics than most others, good stealth in the second one, very good atmosphere, attention to detail is a million times better than your average game.  RE4 really is a below average shooter at best, good call on that.   :yes:

Metro games don't try to be S.T.A.L.K.E.R.  The praise behind RE4 really surprised me at the time of its release.  You're pushing forward at a fast pace most of the time, just running and gunning through an army.  RE5 and RE6 are no different, these are the games that killed the survival horror genre just like Call of Duty 4 killed the shooter genre.

Edited by Rhamnetin

Save RPGs

RE4 is when the series became a joke.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Misery 2.0 does an excellent job showing proper survival mechanics...

Wow. Resident Evil 4 is one of the best games ever made. Great joke, I guess.

I'm playing Misery 2.02 right now, as a matter of fact. It does not have "proper survival mechanics" (how do you even come up with your ridiculous expressions?). It has some cool new features (mainly RPG features), but the survival mechanics part of it are not improvements. It's like a bunch of clueless kids have taken a great game and decided that if you make enemies hit you through complete darkness, while running, with their assault rifles on full auto, from 150-200 meters distance.. then it's survival horror. Or if you construct an "economy" where 15 bullets cost 1000 rubles to buy, a gun gives you 50-200 rubles when you sell it and food rations cost 22000 rubles.. you haven't actually made "proper survival mechanics", you've made an unbalanced mod with a ridiculously broken economy that invites grinding.

The funny thing is that it's not actually harder or more difficult (which seems to be the main reason this mod was made, so the kids can call themselves hardcore). It's just unfair now, which means you'll need to start using unfair tactics yourself.

• Like 2

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Wow. Resident Evil 4 is one of the best games ever made. Great joke, I guess.

Yeah, and Dead Space is a great horror franchise with great stories, Call of Duty 4 and all of the ones after it are great competitive shooters, Battlefield 3 is a great team-based strategic multiplayer game, The Witcher 2 is a great RPG, Tomb Raider is an awesome single player adventure, Far Cry 3 and Just Cause 2 have great open worlds, and graphics.  

I'm playing Misery 2.02 right now, as a matter of fact. It does not have "proper survival mechanics" (how do you even come up with your ridiculous expressions?). It has some cool new features (mainly RPG features), but the survival mechanics part of it are not improvements. It's like a bunch of clueless kids have taken a great game and decided that if you make enemies hit you through complete darkness, while running, with their assault rifles on full auto, from 150-200 meters distance.. then it's survival horror. Or if you construct an "economy" where 15 bullets cost 1000 rubles to buy, a gun gives you 50-200 rubles when you sell it and food rations cost 22000 rubles.. you haven't actually made "proper survival mechanics", you've made an unbalanced mod with a ridiculously broken economy that invites grinding.

As a matter of FACT, it does.  Because this is definitely a factual discussion.

The revamped healing system, repair system, armor attachment system, better fatigue/stamina system, universal power device feature, combined with improved ballistics (can't vouch for what the mod did, since I use my own), the default game's bleeding system and hunger/sleep requirements, all make it a much better survival game than just about everything else.  The economy needed some tweaking which is easy enough to do myself.  I don't get shot under complete darkness at 150-200 meters since I disabled "hardcore_ai_aim" and edited AI myself so they no longer have a 100+ FOV.

It is more difficult, but it definitely needed some tweaking which is easy enough to do.  The added mechanics and gameplay complexity, combined with much more realistic damage values, make it more difficult.  These also help make a great survival game, not putting you on a one-man-army Rambo-style mission which is what Resident Evil 4 is.  

Maybe you guys should make a separate thread for survival game discussion.  To remain on topic, I've been playing Underhell lately which actually is a proper survival horror experience that is worthy of being called an instant-classic.  Resident Evil 4 is worthy of being called an abysmal failure, a blight on the gaming industry, or "the game that killed survival horror".  I'll give you that.  It's what happens when developers take a survival horror franchise and cater it to kids.

Edited by Rhamnetin

Save RPGs

RE5 and RE6 are no different, these are the games that killed the survival horror genre just like Call of Duty 4 killed the shooter genre.

oooooookaaaaayyyyy

this is where i get off the boat.  it was fun for a bit but now its just getting too weird.

(STALKER was pretty awesome btw, I hope my proclamation that Metro was below average didn't imply that STALKER was a weak game, i enjoyed the first one quite a lot)

edit: this guy HAS to be volo in disguise.  in one breath he says resident evil 5 killed the entire genre of survival horror, but then brings up a bunch of games made AFTER RE5 he says are survival horror at its best.   soooooo which is it: alive or dead?   also, too bad every company in the world stopped making fps games after cod 4  :banghead:

Edited by entrerix
  • Like 1

I've been enjoying New Vegas and Baldur's Gate Trilogy lately.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

edit: this guy HAS to be volo in disguise.  in one breath he says resident evil 5 killed the entire genre of survival horror, but then brings up a bunch of games made AFTER RE5 he says are survival horror at its best.   soooooo which is it: alive or dead?   also, too bad every company in the world stopped making fps games after cod 4  :banghead:

Hey hey, don't leave out RE4.  If any game is to blame for survival horror becoming endangered, it's RE4.

Misery 2.0 is a mod.  Underhell is a mod.  Metro games are exceptions, and it's hard to call them mainstream.  CoD 4 is the reason why most shooters are terrible, since apparently you couldn't understand that.  

Edited by Rhamnetin

Save RPGs

CoD 4 is the reason why most shooters are terrible, since apparently you couldn't understand that.  

and i have found a new quote for my profile.  ty

Still playing Diablo III.  I came across a pair of pants that are really high level (great stats), but one flaw: my character literally farts and drops a cloud of stink every few minutes.  It would have actually been funny if the characters around him comment on it, but they don't.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

i dont remember fart pants in the pc version, is it console exclusive? some kind of meta-joke at blizzard about how console gamers are all 12 years old?

did they drop off a normal enemy or were they in some easter egg type setup?

• Like 1

Still haven't finished the game. After the Fall chapter started, I somehow totally lost motivation. I'll guess the game felt too repetitive to me. How knows when I will decide to finally finish it.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Playing Might & Magic X and having a great time.  It's so old school and clunky.  It's amazing how much more tactical it is than many more "modern" RPGs despite its simplistic design.  There is a certain joy to manipulating the turn-based, grid-based system to gain advantage on your foes and keep from getting flanked or surrounded.  I can't wait until the full game comes out.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Gave up on Duck Tales Remastered. I can beat the whole game without losing a life. After the boss fight though there is a short platforming bit. A race against time. I can beat that. Once htat is done though, there is another platforming section. Another race against time, this time with rising lava. As I get there with full lives, I should be all good. Problem is that if you fail once, on your next attempt the lava starts higher and rises faster. The logic apparently being: "This part giving you trouble? Let's make it harder for you then!"

That is so beyond stupid that I just can't be bothered to put up with it.

Started Castle of Illusion instead. A lot more went into this game tech wise it seems. Will see how it holds up to annoyance.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).