Britain home to more than 100 wanted war criminals

Walsingham

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23495314

Apparently, the most common reason for refusing to repatriate is because the Human Rights Act prevents us releasing them to their native countries.

Clearly, I'm torn between pride in the rigour of the legal system, and horror that the HRA is directly denying justice to the people most affected by the crimes.

As a meta-issue, I am increasingly concerned that international treaties of every stripe are a threat to national sovereignty and democracy.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Walsie there is NO way they can link you to your past, so I wouldn't worry too much

Never underestimate the effectiveness of plastic surgery my friend :yes:

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

What would justice be? I read one of them ended up working in a care home... in Essex. Sounds like justice to me.

• Like 1

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

What would justice be? I read one of them ended up working in a care home... in Essex. Sounds like justice to me.

Win.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Wouldn't this be a thing for the ICC to be looking at for them to be taken to trial rather then a human rights issue on whether it would be right to send them back to the country of origin?

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

So, anyone wants to start a fund to pay for hitmen?

Edited by Orogun01
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Isn't this the very reason why the ICC was founded?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Not really, before a person becomes a target of the ICC they have to found guilty primarily of genocide and serious human rights abuses. Not every criminal will qualify for this ignominious title so the ICC wouldn't get involved

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Besides, isn't the ICC completely crap at getting people to trial in its own right?

-Elwood Blues

Not really, before a person becomes a target of the ICC they have to found guilty primarily of genocide and serious human rights abuses. Not every criminal will qualify for this ignominious title so the ICC wouldn't get involved

Besides, isn't the ICC completely crap at getting people to trial in its own right?

Why are we talking  about the Internet Chess Club?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Sorry, I meant MCC.

-Elwood Blues