New Scientific Discoveries, Part Deux

Pidesco

• 2 weeks later...

While I do believe fusion reactors have a future, I sometimes wonder if the safety of their operation isn't idealised a bit?

Last time I checked, plasma is usually something hot and unpleasant that you don't want to lose control of, say one of the supermagnetic containment fields breaks? It may not leave a legacy with a generation spanning halflife, but I'm sure it's still unpleasant to experience up close ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I wouldn't believe anything Lockheed-Martin has to say about fusion.

The whole reactor project has almost all appearances of a scam.

While I do believe fusion reactors have a future, I sometimes wonder if the safety of their operation isn't idealised a bit?

Last time I checked, plasma is usually something hot and unpleasant that you don't want to lose control of, say one of the supermagnetic containment fields breaks? It may not leave a legacy with a generation spanning halflife, but I'm sure it's still unpleasant to experience up close ;)

Fusion reactors contain just a few grams of fuel at any given time.

That's not enough to irradiate much of anything.

• 2 weeks later...

^I think the point is more about autofocus. We can already magnify farther than we can fire.

DARPA's Chipset Runs an Astonishing 1 Trillion Cycles Per Second.

Good thing I didn't upgrade my PC yet! :grin:

Feel free to correct me, but todays bottle neck isn't so much individual chips as the entire bus architecture limiting the speed at which chips can communicate? A problem that has persisted on PC's since the 386/486 days when cpu (and gpu) speeds ran away from motherboard/chip set speeds?

Just waiting for the first Quantum computer where everything happens instantaneously :p

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

http://www.cell.com/current-biology/abstract/S0960-9822%2814%2901213-5

Political ideology may be biological. People were shown non-political images, and their bodies reactions allowed scientists to predict political leanings with up to 98% accuracy.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Time is an emergent factor of quantum entanglement. 

And it exists only for observers inside the universe...

The experiment involves the creation of a toy universe consisting of a pair of entangled photons and an observer that can measure their state in one of two ways.

in the first, the observer measures the evolution of the system by becoming entangled with it. In the second, a god-like observer measures the evolution against an external clock which is entirely independent of the toy universe. 

The experimental details are straightforward. The entangled photons each have a polarisation which can be changed by passing it through a birefringent plate. In the first set up, the observer measures the polarisation of one photon, thereby becoming entangled with it. He or she then compares this with the polarisation of the second photon. The difference is a measure of time.

In the second set up, the photons again both pass through the birefringent plates which change their polarisations. However, in this case, the observer only measures the global properties of both photons by comparing them against an independent clock. In this case, the observer cannot detect any difference between the photons without becoming entangled with one or the other. And if there is no difference, the system appears static. In other words, time does not emerge.

Fortune favors the bald.

• Like 2

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Livestream: http://new.livestream.com/ESA/cometlanding

- First picture was towards the sun, "whopsie!"

- The director had a such thick french accent that i could hardly understand what he said.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy