A very interesting update. It is great to read about one of the things I enjoy most in your games and how you implement that in your games. I'm very happy to read that we'll have met all party members before the halfway point. Many games give a character very late in the game and it can be an annoyance at times. You've spent so much time with your other characters and learned about them and done their quests, but here comes another one and there are only a few hours left of the main campaign. Getting your characters early on can also help with how you can approach combat later on. It gives you the option to better adapt your companions to create a better combat party synergy.

Companions reacting to one another, factions and the world in general is a also great to hear, but I guess this is one thing I was never worried about. I also hope we get to see party banter when we explore. I wasn't always a fan of this, but I've changed my mind. It can add further depth to the characters if done right.

Good update, although understandably less specific than the mechanics-oriented updates. The new main theme is probably a secret for now, but can you tell us what the original main theme was? And does it still exist in the game in some capacity?

Sounds like the next update will be in two weeks again. I take it you guys are still ironing out some problems with finishing the vertical slice?

1- Priests and Religion: I really liked how you guys are thinking about letting characters still be relevant even when their role might overlap with the PC. You stated that they might interact if they are the same religion. How about the priest companion interacting/dialoguing with the PC if they're different religions? I think that would be cool and it can give even more characterization to that companion. How do they treat their "friends" and how do they treat their enemies? It is definitely more work and more writing, but it really makes replaying the game worthwhile and gives that character a lot more depth, at least in my humble opinion. I want some EPIC religion BATTLES! :p

Yeah, it might be more work than the scope of this game can accommodate with all the different deity combinations, but the prospect of characters with different religions butting heads, maybe in a respectful manner, maybe in a heated manner, maybe even coming to blows, excites me.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Great update to wake up to, but dammit, I have to get ready for work...

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Whats the difference between companions and hired adventurers? Only that players will have to pay the hirelings?

You can create those hirelings by yourself and they probably don't have much of reactivity towards anything, in other words they are mute party members that do what you command, if I have understood correctly.

Whats the difference between companions and hired adventurers? Only that players will have to pay the hirelings?

You can create those hirelings by yourself and they probably don't have much of reactivity towards anything, in other words they are mute party members that do what you command, if I have understood correctly.

I was referring to this:

...Eternity supports 8, yes 8, pre-made companions and 8 hired adventurers (16 total). You can have up to 5 in the party at any point in time (the 6th/1st role is your player character, who, well, sort of has to be there, you know, because it’s your game). It’s a lot of writing.

I read this as there being 16 Obsidian provided joinable NPC's and that the eight hirelings are not Adventurer Hall products. Have I misunderstood?

I was referring to this:

...Eternity supports 8, yes 8, pre-made companions and 8 hired adventurers (16 total). You can have up to 5 in the party at any point in time (the 6th/1st role is your player character, who, well, sort of has to be there, you know, because it’s your game). It’s a lot of writing.

I read this as there being 16 Obsidian provided joinable NPC's and that the eight hirelings are not Adventurer Hall products. Have I misunderstood?

That is bit confusing part in this update, I thought that it ment that player can only make 8 characters in adventure hall and reason (in my mind was) for that would be fact that npc can die on higher difficulty levels permanently and limit is to prevent player to hire new hirelings everytime when previous one dies. But of course this was only my interpretation of that segment.

That is bit confusing part in this update, I thought that it ment that player can only make 8 characters in adventure hall and reason (in my mind was) for that would be fact that npc can die on higher difficulty levels permanently and limit is to prevent player to hire new hirelings everytime when previous one dies. But of course this was only my interpretation of that segment.

I think you are right. Bummer, I got a bit excited at the thought of 16 joinable NPC's, each with personality.

I was referring to this:

I understood this too, but some clarification would be appreciated.

Aside from that, I liked pretty much everything I read in this update. As with many, I really liked this part:

For Eternity, we’re setting it up so even if players choose the same classes as some companions, the companions are designed to assist those character types and make them more special (ciphers, for example, can chain, and even priests with the same religion can discuss theology and combo attacks).

Discussions of theology or other complex topics sound like something I'll definitely enjoy :)

Edited by Lurky

For Eternity, we’re setting it up so even if players choose the same classes as some companions, the companions are designed to assist those character types and make them more special (ciphers, for example, can chain, and even priests with the same religion can discuss theology and combo attacks).

This sounds so cool!

The companions have unique signature items (very Torment and Baldur’s Gate) in addition to their personalities and strong visual signatures as well.

Just don't let useless signature items block important gear slots... *cogh*BG2-Imoen's-belt*cogh*

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

I think you are right. Bummer, I got a bit excited at the thought of 16 joinable NPC's, each with personality.

I'm hoping that the Adventure Hall NPCs will still show some personality (at least giving the player a range of voice sets for combat taunts / banter to choose from for each of them).

• Like 1

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

I was referring to this:

Maybe that's the amount of companions/hirelings you can bring with you and have available in camp locations.  So if you want to switch your party around you could go back to camp and have up to 16 characters available to choose the 5 (or less) you want to bring with you.  If you want to take a character along from outside the pool of 16 you still could, but you'd have to trek all the way back to the adventurer's hall (I'm guessing there will be only 1 or very few) and give someone the boot  from your pool of 16 to make room for them.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

What are the core themes of the game anyway?

It's a secret.

Good decision by Josh not to reveal anything about the story or themes before the beta.

One thing I wonder is out of all the core four classes, they haven't announced a Rogue character yet.

You would think that because it's a 'core four' class that the game kind of demands a Rogue companion.

Hopefully that's not necessarily the case though, even though it probably will be.

Edited by Sensuki

Always nice reading from Chris. But speaking of companions, what of pets/summons/familiars? Are they going to get some personality as well? I think it might add a lot to the depth of the game. I'm getting tired of empty murder machines.

Note: I would appreciate if you didn't use "Google" as a synonym for "do a search" :)

Enjoyable update showcasing a lot of encouraging ideas and good concepts for gameplay.

Five stars; would read again.

One thing I am really liking the sound of with regards to companion development of this game is that it seems that in contrast to previous Obsidian titles, the companions (and general writing level) will be of a more adult content - and by that I don't mean nudity or swearing but in tone, quality and theme.

The writing in most RPGs is clearly aimed at a PG audience. Games like Dragon Age attempt to be edgy but fail miserably in delivery.

I'd like to see some companions/dialogue on the level of The Wire or A Song of Ice and Fire (as much as I hate the TV series, the book dialogue is great).

with a character mix of something like McNulty, Kima, Daniels, Freamon, Herc and Carver would be an interesting party haha.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

This sounds so cool!

The companions have unique signature items (very Torment and Baldur’s Gate) in addition to their personalities and strong visual signatures as well.

Just don't let useless signature items block important gear slots... *cogh*BG2-Imoen's-belt*cogh*

WHAT?!? You didn't appreciate carrying Boo instead of 5 healing potions for quick use?? You sir, are a madman.

Great update, by the way. Great companions are always a very important replayability factor, at least for me.

Great update.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I'm thrilled to hear about companions!  Hopefully we'll get to find out what races/classes they all are so I can pick one that isn't already spoken for.  Not because I'm worried about redundancy or anything, I can just see myself getting paralysed with indecision at character creation and this would be a way of narrowing down my choices to start off with.

I'm hoping the party members you pick will make at least a little bit of story difference in whatever endgame they have planned.  KOTOR2's climax- with the restoration mod especially, but even without- was great because there were climactic moments for party members all through it.  Mass Effect 2 was good too; it had the bits where you have to pick certain people to perform certain tasks, with their life depending on you picking the right person and having secured that person's loyalty.  Even who you took to the final boss made a difference in terms of the dialogue you got.  But then in New Vegas it didn't matter whether I brought Boone, Lily, Raul or whoever to the final battle, they were just there to fight, which was a shame.  At least they got ending slides though :)

• Like 2

On Eternity, Eric has a strong theme for the story already. While not the original theme, Josh was accommodating and we all recognized that if another theme came to the forefront naturally through the writing process, it’s fine to alter it to make a stronger design.

Good meaty update, though this line seemed strangely offhand. Revising the whole theme of the game seems like something pretty significant.